• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My thoughts on Frost

Husker00s

Recruit
5 Year Member
I’m a Scott Frost fan and I do believe in him. I am concerned he might be handcuffing himself by not letting his OC call the plays, that he can manage the game better, and he needs to fire his defensive coordinator whose track record is always breaking. His Defenses are worse then Bohl’s and Cosgroves!
Frost has recruited really well, But he needs to ask himself If the players are being developed & also if his staff is the best in the business he can hire at their Positions. Games are Won and Lost on the line of Scrimmage. People forget Nebraska’s offensive line use to be known as, “Thee Pipeline” and the defense use to be known as “ The Blackshirts, ” even though they have played more like black skirts. I hope sooner rather then later, Nebraska will become Nebraska once again.

The way I see it he will get 5 and here's why.

1st year was such a mess with new staff culture problems get. Year 1 is kinda like a 0 year.

2nd year things got better and worse hurt qb and player drama hurt us. Really year 1????

3rd year Covid and all the other drama just to play has not been good. really year 2 kinda due to short schedule.

That gives HCSF next year and the year after to right the ship. I think we may see changes in scheme and a DC at year's end.

1st year was such a mess with new staff culture problems get. Year 1 is kinda like a 0 year.

2nd year things got better and worse hurt qb and player drama hurt us. Really year 1????

3rd year Covid and all the other drama just to play has not been good. really year 2 kinda due to short schedule.

That gives HCSF next year and the year after to right the ship. I think we may see changes in scheme and a DC at year's end.

All good points if it wasn't for Coach Frost being unwilling to improvise and adapt to the BIG.

All good points if it wasn't for Coach Frost being unwilling to improvise and adapt to the BIG.

Do you often change the way you do things when you believe you are doing it correctly? I know you can say "well, if the results aren't there", but if SF turns it around in year 5 by staying the course he will be proven correct. If he doesn't, he will probably have to live with the results. Human nature is to do things you are comfortable doing, especially if they have worked well in the past!

Just noticed your screen name. Was that inspired by the radio bits by Otis Twelve and Diver Dan Doomey back in the 80's?
Starting in the late '80s, Otis gave us The Mean Farmer who has been popular enough to inspire the production and sale of cassettes that served to immortalize various bits that Otis and his collaborators have recorded through the years! The Mean Farmer is a wonderfully nasty character who tells Paul Harvey-style narratives about the horrible, painful punishments he inflicts upon everyone and everything in his rural community.

Do you often change the way you do things when you believe you are doing it correctly? I know you can say "well, if the results aren't there", but if SF turns it around in year 5 by staying the course he will be proven correct. If he doesn't, he will probably have to live with the results. Human nature is to do things you are comfortable doing, especially if they have worked well in the past!

Not arguing with you, BUT HCSF must evolve and adapt or he will get passed by. 5 years ago Saban was complaining about how unfair the evolution of college offenses was to defenses in the SEC. Of course Saban changed & now several OC’s later, look where Bama’s offense has progressed to.

Not arguing with you, BUT HCSF must evolve and adapt or he will get passed by. 5 years ago Saban was complaining about how unfair the evolution of college offenses was to defenses in the SEC. Of course Saban changed & now several OC’s later, look where Bama’s offense has progressed to.
Not to turn this into a Saban vs Frost thread, but Saban is notoriously a "details" guy. I just don't know who has that trait on the Husker staff. From the play on Saturdays, it appears no one does because, as Frost says often, they "fail to do the little things."
Its ok if Frost isn't the details guy, he's the HC. However, he needs to have others on his staff who enjoy being knee deep in the gory details where the devil likes to be. That's how you develop players and get crisp execution.

I'm ok with him calling the plays. His offense was the reason he was brought here. Take away his offensive system, and what else does he bring to the table?

I believe he gets 5 as well. The reasoning, where can we go? The alum, the golden boy, the hottest coaching prospect failed... what chance does the next guy have? Also, we can't afford to buy him out. If we are going to go 4-8 its better to pay one guy and his staff $10 mil than pay the new guy and his staff $6 mill while the old guy and his staff collect $10 mil.

By the way, no extensions after the season please.

I'm ok with him calling the plays. His offense was the reason he was brought here. Take away his offensive system, and what else does he bring to the table?
What else does Sean Payton bring? My point being there are many guys who call their own plays, but are successful for other reasons....MANY OTHER REASONS. I'm not sure if taking away his play calling will help, but you aren't cutting off the head of the snake if you do. It may just open Scott's eyes to the things he's not doing as well as he should as a head coach. Play calling is a small part (if one is calling his own plays) of the overall job description of a head coach. And you wouldn't be trashing his system.. That would remain in place.

Last edited:

I believe he gets 5 as well. The reasoning, where can we go? The alum, the golden boy, the hottest coaching prospect failed... what chance does the next guy have? Also, we can't afford to buy him out. If we are going to go 4-8 its better to pay one guy and his staff $10 mil than pay the new guy and his staff $6 mill while the old guy and his staff collect $10 mil.

By the way, no extensions after the season please.

There are other coaches who can help us win games. Bo was the hottest thing too at one point. He actually got us a lot of wins. Point is that there are other coaches who can come in and win. We just may not really be the best place for the hottest guy out there to go. He may not understand our traditions as well as Scott but there are people out there. Even if the new guy uses us as a launching pad for a different place if he can get us back to Bo level football then the coaching staff after him can keep the winning going and push us further.

What odds do you give Frost of turning it around if next year is another losing season? They are very small at that point. So some of you would rather just not go through the headache of finding another coach? You do realize if he's still not winning next year, the recruiting classes are going to take a hit. Selling promise of the future to recruits won't last forever.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back