• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

More to argue over. 50 greatest College players

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member

Only 3 Nebraska players Suh, Rimington and Rozier. Some obvious misses from the huskers and some strange additions IMHO from other teams.

So the misses first. TFraz does not make it despite being the player of the game in 3 straight championship games. Who did make it with similar skills? Tebow who never lead a team to an undefeated season.

Obviously JR not making it is weird. Probably a few others. I actually understand Crouch not making it.

A few i disagree with making it. The Boz was all hype IMHO. He was a great sales person, not great enough to be all time greatest level. Also and I know this will make some angry. Joe Burrows is 24. He had 1 REEEEEAAALLLLY great season. To me that does not make a top 50 all time player let alone a top 25 all time.

Seems pretty heavy on running backs and quarterbacks which you would expect. If you are arguing for Huskers that were missed, you have Tebow but no Tommie Fraizer ? Also, no Rich Glover? Just on the basis of his games against Oklahoma and Alabama in 1971 he should be in.

The other glaring omission is Bubba Smith.

Just off the top of my head, think about the greatest of all time, you have to include:

Jim Thorpe
Jim Brown
Red Grange
Dick Butkus

They got the first two right; whiffed on the last two.

Archie Griffin should be on the list, but he's consistently overrated. Doesn't make my top 15. Eddie George - overrated. See a pattern here?

Suh is far underrated. Tebow is questionable; wouldn't complain about him being in the 30+ range. Leaving Tommie off is egregious.

Rimington belongs, I guess 16 is about right. Really, they have a picture of him in an Eagles uni?

I could see an argument to put Glover on the list. By rights, Novak should be on the list, too, but nobody knows him because NU was terrible in those days.

I don't have a problem with Boz on the list; he was an absolute terror in college. Just because he's usually in the top 2 for NFL washouts, shouldn't affect his ranking as a college LB.

Edit: Oh, and I agree, Burrow doesn't belong. Two years from now, no one will even think to include him in such a list.

And Johnny the Jet has to be in.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

54596ccdeb1db.image.jpg

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back