• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked More on Tressel's Show-Cause Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't think of too many things that would make me swear off Nebraska football, but this might be one of them. We like to think we do things with a bit more integrity than some of the schools recently busted by the NCAA. If we hire that guy, his stench becomes ours. We immediately become associated with tattoo-gate and lying to the NCAA. I'm embarrassed it is even being discussed.

So....you for Tressel?

I think he should be contacted if the first 5 coaches say no to NU. He's a proven winner and I believe he learned his lesson. I'm down with giving him a second chance.

Besides, the guy will go after experienced coordinators so missing those games...prolly not going to be a huge issue

I can't think of too many things that would make me swear off Nebraska football, but this might be one of them. We like to think we do things with a bit more integrity than some of the schools recently busted by the NCAA. If we hire that guy, his stench becomes ours. We immediately become associated with tattoo-gate and lying to the NCAA. I'm embarrassed it is even being discussed.

Come on man. Really?

On the other hand why not be the university that gave Tressel a chance to make amends. He comes in, keeps the graduation rate high, recruits quality kids, WINS ballgames, and restores his good name and the image of this university. Is the state that is known for friendly people, a welcome smile and a friendly handshake also the state that turns up its collective nose to someone who is "beneath" us after he makes a few poor decisions. This state and this university is NOT too good for Jim Tressel.

This is the most realistic point of view, honestly.

Let me clarify my stance a bit as well - I'm not saying that Tressel would/should be the next head coach of Nebraska, but I think his resume and credentials warrant him getting a strong look and an interview with Eichorst, should Tressel express interest in the job.

It's a long shot to him becoming coach, but he presents a viable alternative to guys like Peterson, Richt and Fitzgerald who are likely too entrenched in their current jobs to consider leaving.
You're beginning to convince me. But I hope the university would have zero tolerance for any new violations.

I don't understand this "holier than thou," "we can't be associated with people who have made mistakes" attitude.

That isn't very Christian and certainly not very Nebraskan. We are nice hard working people who gives people second chances. Espeically if they are good people. We have a Heisman Trophy Winner who can't vote or carry a gun because he is a felon. We have another heisman trophy winner who quit the team. People want Scott Frost who hid in a closet and let a girl get beaten. We give people seconds chances and I don't think that is a weakness, I think it takes strength.

People want Scott Frost who hid in a closet and let a girl get beaten.
Unfair.

There is no evidence whatsoever that Scott was hiding, or that Kate McEwen was beaten.

The only beating was LP beating his bare hands on a mailbox.

Last edited:

I don't understand this "holier than thou," "we can't be associated with people who have made mistakes" attitude.

That isn't very Christian and certainly not very Nebraskan. We are nice hard working people who gives people second chances. Espeically if they are good people. We have a Heisman Trophy Winner who can't vote or carry a gun because he is a felon. We have another heisman trophy winner who quit the team. People want Scott Frost who hid in a closet and let a girl get beaten. We give people seconds chances and I don't think that is a weakness, I think it takes strength.

This has been my stance as well. I don't get how he has earned so much ire from our fanbase. He made a mistake out of fear for his players. He went too far to try to protect them.

I believe in second chances. I've had my share of second, third, fourth chances in my life. Still doesn't change the fact I wouldn't want to be the first school to hire him after tattoo-gate.

Interesting people say they "wouldn't be a fan anymore if Tressel was hired".

And that'd last about, oh, after the first year of an 11-2 season and a BCS bowl game.

Interesting people say they "wouldn't be a fan anymore if Tressel was hired".

And that'd last about, oh, after the first year of an 11-2 season and a BCS bowl game.

That's my position exactly.

As PimpMario was saying, Nebraska fans are more than happy to overlook the wrist-slap that Osborne gave Lawrence Phillips - likely because we shattered a ton of records and won 3 titles on one of the most prolific runs in NCAA history. Same goes for all the legal/civil troubles of guys like Johnny Rodgers, Irving Fryar, the Peter Bros, and others. It's like we adopt this "holier than thou" attitude that says we'll overlook indiscretions for our own, but if you're not a Nebraska coach, player or alum, you'd better be a goody-two-shoes or we won't even consider you.

I don't know all the things that happened behind the scenes at Ohio State. But I have personally been in scenarios where I've lied, and then had to tell another lie to get out of the first. And then another, and another. I'm sure we can all relate to that kind of spiral of deceit.

I'm not going to crown Tressel a saint, and I would actually support any "preventative" measures that Nebraska would want to put in place. But when I look past the scandal, I see a coach who knows how to completely dismantle the Big Ten and he's just sitting on the wings, waiting to get picked up.

Alternatively, I could see Illinois, Purdue and Minnesota in need of a head coach before too long. And I'd shudder to think what would happen if Nebraska passed on Tressel, only to have him wind up at the reigns of a divisional foe. Lord knows that all our fair-weather fans would be kicking themselves in the rear on that day. I'm not saying that's 100% justification for extending the man an offer to coach here, but again - it at least warrants us giving him a look.

Maybe it's a bust. Or maybe he's the next National Title winner at Nebraska. We won't know either way unless we at least consider him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back