• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked More 'Bo's on the hot seat' noise from USA Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or you could look at it and say he benefited from the classes that were brought using illegal tactics.

That would be a stretch, to say the least. They were classes brought to MSU while MSU was having non-winning seasons. To suggest that they were some impressive classes is likely a huge stretch. Trying to perform under the cloud of an NCAA investigation as well as dealing with NCAA restrictions is much more detrimental to a program rather than actually being beneficial.

Saban did things at MSU that weren't done in 30 years.

Last edited:

I support the program. I didn't agree with firing Solich, but I supported Callahan when he was hired (until 2007 when it became clear he was not a good fit at all).

However, what if the information that I and others are hearing is true, namely that the decision has already been made and the decision was made based almost exclusively on issues other than the on the field product? How will you know what the decision was based on if Bo is allowed to leave comparatively quietly because all of the issues have been resolved behind the scenes over the last month or so? What if after he wins the next 2 games a press conference is held and we get the standard "We thank Bo for all he has done for the program, but we have decided that it is in the best interest of the program to go in another direction, blah, blah, blah" from SE and nothing else comes out? Will you just assume that the decision had to have been based on W-L?

Remember also that Bo helped a couple of his assistants out the door, covering up their scandals. All we were left with were the rumors.

Last edited:
Hey CM. Up until recently I was far more in your camp than in the camp of Bo-Leavers. However, what if the information that I and others are hearing is true, namely that the decision has already been made and the decision was made based almost exclusively on issues other than the on the field product? How will you know what the decision was based on if Bo is allowed to leave comparatively quietly because all of the issues have been resolved behind the scenes over the last month or so? What if after he wins the next 2 games a press conference is held and we get the standard "We thank Bo for all he has done for the program, but we have decided that it is in the best interest of the program to go in another direction, blah, blah, blah" from SE and nothing else comes out? Will you just assume that the decision had to have been based on W-L? It seems to me that unless SE comes out and says that Bo was canned because of his inability to win enough there is no way for you to know the actual reason for his removal. It seems to me that would be making a pretty big decision to abandon a team you love based on incomplete information and faulty logic.

Now all this is a big hypothetical and after December 1 I may turn out to have been the butt of a big joke and will end up looking like a big doofus (or a bigger one than usual at least). But it may turn out that Bo is ushered out the door for some very cogent reasons that we average fans will never be privy to beyond a few rumors and to make the assumption that it was based solely or even primarily on the on the field product is assuming way too much.

As I mentioned at the time of the tape-gate, my media buddy in Lincoln informed me the tape was just the tip of the iceberg -- but the reason you only hear about it if it's leaked is because the University is all-powerful. Now, again, it's just word of mouth. I have nothing to base it on. And it may very well be bogus. But at the same time, given Bo's personality, it would hardly be surprising if there is plenty more dirt on the guy. Maybe true. Maybe not. Maybe we'll never know. But certainly, it's something that can't be dismissed as impossible.... the idea that some behind the scenes activity is hurting Bo more than the play on the field.

I certainly would never predict Bo will be gone following the Iowa game. A lot of that makes no sense (the idea he's already indicated his resignaiton). And I still learn toward Bo being back next season. But nothing will really surprise me any longer.

Thanks. My sister has a similar sig line, although from a female perspective (something about her boyfriend being so upset he misses a college exam) so I had to one up her.

It's funny how times change things. Before I heard the things from friends that I have posted about here and other things I have not posted, based on requests from the sources and also what I perceive as privacy issues, you and I were definitely on different sides of the fence re Bo. I was not an ardent Bo-Liever, but I saw enough improvement in matters like recruiting and his demeanor on the sidelines that I wasn't ready to see him go quite yet. And I freely admit that was based in part on the fact that I tend to be nervous about major change. But now, if even 2/3 of what I have heard is true it is probably best that NU and Bo part ways.

I know we've been on opposite sides of the fence, but you seem like a straight shooter who doesn't have a need to always follow the crowd, and I respect that.

Regarding the highlighted...wow!

Last edited:

As I mentioned at the time of the tape-gate, my media buddy in Lincoln informed me the tape was just the tip of the iceberg -- but the reason you only hear about it if it's leaked is because the University is all-powerful. Now, again, it's just word of mouth. I have nothing to base it on. And it may very well be bogus. But at the same time, given Bo's personality, it would hardly be surprising if there is plenty more dirt on the guy. Maybe true. Maybe not. Maybe we'll never know. But certainly, it's something that can't be dismissed as impossible.... the idea that some behind the scenes activity is hurting Bo more than the play on the field.

I certainly would never predict Bo will be gone following the Iowa game. A lot of that makes no sense (the idea he's already indicated his resignaiton). And I still learn toward Bo being back next season. But nothing will really surprise me any longer.

Exactly my point as to why he lacks the sophistication, street smarts and savvy to be a CEO/Head Coach. If you're going to do something stupid, which we all do, make sure everyone in the room is in agreement with your actions or as stupid as you are. If not, risk having it come back up like a burrito with rancid sour cream.

Last edited:
I remember when people wanted Frank fired... there was an entire email created out of thin air with all sorts of "behind the scenes" information about Frank's "issues" personally and professionally.

Most of the email was demonstrably false using nothing more than a basic calendar (i.e., the stories told didn't remotely match up with the real life timeline).

These "insider stories" have no credence, in my opinion, and are mainly manufactured to sell subscriptions on pay sites or entice people to listen to the conduits of so called "insiders." (i.e., radio commentators and other media)

Exactly my point as to why he lacks the sophistication, street smarts and savvy to be a CEO/Head Coach. If you're going to do something stupid, which we all do, make sure everyone in the room is in agreement with your actions or as stupid as you are. If not, risk having it come back up like a burrito with rancid sour cream.

Too bad he can't be more like Gary Patterson, one of your top two candidates, right?

MSU 4 years prior to Saban....48%
MSU after Saban 61%

Callahan winning % 55%
Bo winning % 71%

Reasonably comparable.

\
I appreciate the stats, but I need to point out that this discussion (or in my opinion, diversionary tactics) about Saban's circumstances at MSU is moot. The point I was trying to make was that based on the first ten years of his coaching experience, I see absolutely nothing that would indicate the phenomenal success this football coach as attained since that time.

HNC has successfully diverted the discussion to whether just looking at his record and winning percentage is fair without considering the circumstances (which I find a tad bit ironic). He has been masterful at doing this bait and switch tactic for as long as I have seen him post here.

As to agenda. I have clearly stated my agenda in my original post ---- if you got to the part where I clearly stated my opinion. Every person that I have read in this thread has an "agenda" including HNC who questioned whether I have an agenda. :) Of course I do, just like everybody else who cares enough about this program to post here. Your agenda is one of three things: fire Pelini, retain Pelini or let the AD make the decision based on exclusive administrative information. My opinion (agenda if you like) is that I do not agree with the first option.

HNC has successfully diverted the discussion to whether just looking at his record and winning percentage is fair without considering the circumstances (which I find a tad bit ironic).

The horror! I'm pointing out that you have to look further than just simple winning percentage and consider other factors? How dare I do such an evil thing and ruin PC's (edit) agenda?

Last edited:
You wanted to highlight only what was favorable for Pelini and ignore any factors that may have put Saban at a disadvantage.

It was an admirable attempt on your part. Kudos.

:bow:

Last edited:

I remember when people wanted Frank fired... there was an entire email created out of thin air with all sorts of "behind the scenes" information about Frank's "issues" personally and professionally.

Most of the email was demonstrably false using nothing more than a basic calendar (i.e., the stories told didn't remotely match up with the real life timeline).

These "insider stories" have no credence, in my opinion, and are mainly manufactured to sell subscriptions on pay sites or entice people to listen to the conduits of so called "insiders." (i.e., radio commentators and other media)

I never believed the rumors about Frank. I thought they were ridiculous. But our administration has now shown a propensity for helping certain assistant coaches leave without a scandal and they even assisted them in finding new jobs. Hopefully we don't have a Penn State-like situation behind the scenes where we're protecting the brand of Nebraska football over the well-being of individuals. That would make me very upset.

You wanted to highlight only what was favorable for Pelini and ignore any factors that may have put Saban at a disadvantage.

It was an admirable attempt on your part. Kudos.

:bow:
You really need to reread my original post and those since. Please point to anything in those posts that highlight Pelini's record.

By the way, nice job with the bait and switch --- you are persistent. Better than discussing the gist of my original post isn't it?

You really need to reread my original post and those since. Please point to anything in those posts that highlight Pelini's record.

Read what you just bolded one more time. I said you wanted to highlight what was favorable to Pelini, and that was looking just Saban's record while ignoring other important factors.

Nice try though. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back