• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Moos update/ things about to get real fluid

Eh... shrine bowl isn’t testing anyone. I think it goes back to these younger kids really don’t have much to worry about, so are we going to freak out about positive tests? If yes, shut it down now and don’t try. If no, try to have a season.

Yes we may have to shut it down and not have a season, but I agree why not try. Shut it down now and it's over. Continue to try, even if the odds are good there will be no season, it still gives our players practice time, something they surely need. Why throw in the towel so early and lose out on practices we need.

Last edited:

Eh... shrine bowl isn’t testing anyone. I think it goes back to these younger kids really don’t have much to worry about, so are we going to freak out about positive tests? If yes, shut it down now and don’t try. If no, try to have a season.

Do you not think a positive test will result in a quarantine?

@ShortSideOption hit it on the head. Truth is, student-athletes are the least at-risk population for this virus. Remember all the Alabama players with the virus? They're going to be fine.

My wife is the attending doctor on the Covid floor at UNMC this week. Every time I inform her about a new college football plan that comes out, she says: "What's the reasoning behind that?" And I'm usually at a loss.

What is that we're afraid of? If it's "keeping student athletes safe," well, I'm sorry but that's just stupid. Concussions are much greater risk to these kids than Covid.

What we're seeing now is a lot of admins racing to cover their asses, without much reasoning behind their choices. A lot of ivy league type outdoing each other to "get out in front of this thing."

What we should be worried about is kids' grandparents getting the virus--or the old-timers in the stands. So, do what every other sport is doing. Have a season with no fans. Yeah, it would suck. But IMO that's the conversation we should be having.

Yes we may have to shut it down and not have a season, but I agree why not try. Shut it down now and it's over. Continue to try, even if the odds are good there will be no season, it still gives our players practice time, something they surely need. Why throw in the towel so early and lose out on practices we need.
I guess I wasn’t talking Nebraska specifically. I was just saying if positive tests mean kids can’t play, then there’s no shot of us making this work. There will be positives everywhere. Nebraska only tests if there’s symptoms, I like that.

Do you not think a positive test will result in a quarantine?
I do even tho it won’t be long term, will just be get a couple negatives like MLB. What I’m interested in is if we are just going to test everyone consistently or when they show symptoms? If it’s everyone all the time, no need to try as the season isn’t happening because everyone will be quarantined. If it’s with symptoms shown like what some schools are doing now, then push forward.

Last edited:
I do even tho it won’t be long term, will just be get a couple negatives like MLB. What I’m interested in is if we are just going to test everyone consistently or when they show symptoms? If it’s everyone all the time, no need to try as the season isn’t happening because everyone will be quarantined. If it’s with symptoms shown like what some schools are doing now, then push forward.
FWIW, this is how OSU is handling it.

Student-athletes who test positive for COVID-19 must self-isolate for at least 14 days and receive daily checkups from the athletic department medical staff. Student-athletes with roommates must self-isolate in a designated room on campus.

Shouldn't all Big Ten teams agree to the same protocol?

Edit: agreed on the interest as to how often and what triggers testing. Just seems to me all Big Ten teams need to be on the same page.

Last edited:

The only reason they are only testing players with symptoms is that there aren’t enough tests. Because if you COULD remove the asymptomatic, it would definitely help the spread.

I wonder what the World Herald meant by “All of the players (In the Shrine Bowl) passed COVID screening.” If that doesn’t mean tests, did they just ask them if they had COVID? If so, disingenuous reporting.

I agree, no one should be freaking out about a few positive tests. But teams should know about them. By everyone being tested, I mean coaches, staff, the lady who works at the training table, Bill Moos’ administrative assistant...we must stop being less vigilant about those at less risk. We need to know where the virus is, so it has less chance of finding those it will kill.

I believe there’s a chance football can happen, but it has to be strict.

I guess I wasn’t talking Nebraska specifically. I was just saying if positive tests mean kids can’t play, then there’s no shot of us making this work. There will be positives everywhere. Nebraska only tests if there’s symptoms, I like that.

Speaking of Nebraska. The NCAA said they were leaving it to the state, which many saw as the easy way out for them, but that's fine they said leave it to each state and their local restrictions.

So we have 3 or 4 states within the Big 10 that says no, and the Big 10 conference says no games because not all can participate per their state requirements.

If Nebraska still has limited cases and no real problems, is there any reason they can't keep practicing? Any reason why they can't have 4 or 5 red white games during the fall if they want? There would be no games per the conference, but there's nothing in the NCAA's statement that says we can't still have players practicing when they would normally be practicing, as long as our state regulations allow it.

Doubt this would fly, but then it is a weird year with weird things happening.

Speaking of Nebraska. The NCAA said they were leaving it to the state, which many saw as the easy way out for them, but that's fine they said leave it to each state and their local restrictions.

So we have 3 or 4 states within the Big 10 that says no, and the Big 10 conference says no games because not all can participate per their state requirements.

If Nebraska still has limited cases and no real problems, is there any reason they can't keep practicing? Any reason why they can't have 4 or 5 red white games during the fall if they want? There would be no games per the conference, but there's nothing in the NCAA's statement that says we can't still have players practicing when they would normally be practicing, as long as our state regulations allow it.

Doubt this would fly, but then it is a weird year with weird things happening.

If the season gets blown out of the water I will be interested to see how this part of the equation unfolds.

I wonder what the World Herald meant by “All of the players (In the Shrine Bowl) passed COVID screening.” If that doesn’t mean tests, did they just ask them if they had COVID? If so, disingenuous reporting.

I agree, no one should be freaking out about a few positive tests. But teams should know about them. By everyone being tested, I mean coaches, staff, the lady who works at the training table, Bill Moos’ administrative assistant...we must stop being less vigilant about those at less risk. We need to know where the virus is, so it has less chance of finding those it will kill.

I believe there’s a chance football can happen, but it has to be strict.

That use of the word “screening” caught my eye as well. They likely are doing the temp checks and asking about symptoms.

As people is this age range are not nearly as affected as older people, the risk is really in them spreading it around.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back