• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Moos: Hiring Big Name Coaches Who Lose?

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Frost. Hoiberg. Mike Leach at Wazzu.

Seems like Moos' MO is to bring on splashy names who may or may not actually get the job done. Leach finally broke through to a 49-40 record at WSU after several years of 3-win seasons.

I'm not saying Frost isn't the right guy. I think he'll get it done - eventually. I'm not convinced on Hoiberg yet, but happy to give him a couple seasons to see what happens. Husker Hoops currently has me wishing for Tim Miles. Volleyball is - as always - our only real solace.

Seems like Moos' MO is to bring on splashy names who may or may not actually get the job done. Leach finally broke through to a 49-40 record at WSU after several years of 3-win seasons.

I'm not saying Frost isn't the right guy. I think he'll get it done - eventually. I'm not convinced on Hoiberg yet, but happy to give him a couple seasons to see what happens. Husker Hoops currently has me wishing for Tim Miles. Volleyball is - as always - our only real solace.
Probably should have left this smattering of words in your head, bro.

When in the last 30 years has men's basketball been relevant? Not knocking the program but I have never seen the program have any sustained success. We had a season or two with a tourney appearance. One and done in those rare seasons

While the results year 1 are not enjoyable, the track record of Hoiberg, and the caliber of athletes coming in at least look like we are trending up. Next year should tell a better story of how this may play out. If nothing else we are FAST at the guard position and don't leave anything on the floor offensively, we get our shots. Under Miles and previous staffs we couldn't overcome 15-20 point deficits so the game was over at that point.

Frost needs to show something this season. I am not talking NC contention, just solid play with fewer boneheaded decisions by staff and players. He crosses that hump and good things will follow.

The tone of this post sure doesn't appear to be "happy" in any way, shape or form. I think the hiring of ANY coach is in effect, bringing someone in who may or may not get the job done. That pretty much defines any hire at any level of any occupation. I'm pretty sure if Hoiberg's team is 10-12 next February there will be a large number of fans who aren't happy about it, the same way many are not happy to wait to see what happens with SF as the football coach.

Mike Leach coached 8 seasons and 92 games at Wazzu and was 52-40 for a .565 winning percentage. You would have to go back to 1942 to find ANY coach with a better winning percentage. That list includes Dennis Erickson, Mike Price and Jim Walden. That record for Leach includes being 12-25 in his first 3 seasons.

What Leach did at Wazzu in far worse conditions than Frost inherited at Lincoln is amazing. He was exactly what WSU needed.

Pedey? Is that you?

Sad commentary on our society today; everyone wants instant results, with no growing pains.

Fred Hoiberg coached 5 years at Iowa State. Went to the NCAA tourney the last 4 years there. He was 115-56 (.673) overall and 49-39 (.557) in the B12.

In the 5 years prior ISU was 75-82 (.477) and 21-59 (.263) overall and in the B12 respectively with NO NCAA tournament appearances.

You guys can crap all over this thread, but I'm tired of Husker basketball games ending by halftime. I don't expect us to be in the Sweet Sixteen, but, you know, winning a couple conference games wouldn't be so bad.

The bigger point here is that Frost and Hoiberg need to rebound (forgive the basketball pun) in a big way. It's okay to lose a couple of early seasons, provided you turn it around. If we're winning 10 games and going to the Cotton Bowl, nobody's gonna remember the first couple years. Remember that Nebraskans wanted to crucify Osborne after a couple years of not beating Oklahoma and losing the bowl games.

Basketball obviously has a lower threshold for success around here. We're not Kansas or Creighton. But a 0.500 season shouldn't feel unattainable. Right now it does. Remember when everyone joked that Hoiberg would win more games than Frost in Year 1?

You guys can crap all over this thread, but I'm tired of Husker basketball games ending by halftime. I don't expect us to be in the Sweet Sixteen, but, you know, winning a couple conference games wouldn't be so bad.

The bigger point here is that Frost and Hoiberg need to rebound (forgive the basketball pun) in a big way. It's okay to lose a couple of early seasons, provided you turn it around. If we're winning 10 games and going to the Cotton Bowl, nobody's gonna remember the first couple years. Remember that Nebraskans wanted to crucify Osborne after a couple years of not beating Oklahoma and losing the bowl games.

Basketball obviously has a lower threshold for success around here. We're not Kansas or Creighton. But a 0.500 season shouldn't feel unattainable. Right now it does. Remember when everyone joked that Hoiberg would win more games than Frost in Year 1?

As far as the BBall team goes, everyone thought it was going to be a rough year, but I am with you. I didn't think it was going to be this rough. I figured they they would win 4-5 B1G games. I don't think that is going to happen. They just aren't very talented and they are small and can't shoot. When your. offense is predicated on being uptempo with lots of movement/cutting to the basket and shooting 3's. You better be able to make that lay up and hit 3's at about 40%. Well they don't shoot the 3 that well and miss way too many bunnies at the rim.

The B1G is super talented this year in conference. Everyone has a big man that is scoring 20 against us and altering those layups.

As far as football goes. It is put up or shut up time for Frost and this team. It is imperative that they make a bowl game this year. I have said for a while that I think Frost is a good coach, but has been thoroughly humbled by the last 2 season. They just need to play better.

They keep saying in BB games that we're like the 139th worst shooting school in the country. I don't expect us to be Michael Jordan and the Tar Heels, but we shouldn't be looking like a YMCA rec league team out there, either.

Same on FB, and @NUinID is right about Frost's time to put up or shut up. Cincinnati and Purdue will be very telling games this fall. In the same sense, I'm not expecting us to be Clemson or LSU, but we should be at least winning the majority of our conference games. I want to get to the point where I routinely feel comfortable overlooking Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue and Northwestern, and really only worry about Wisconsin on our road to the divisional title.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back