• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Moos and Unity

CrabHusker

S&C Coordinator-Sponsored by DBol
10 Year Member
Read a story this morning about Mike Leach quelling the rumor that he would follow Moos to Lincoln, mostly to see what Leach's reasoning was and what, if anything he said about Nebraska. What I found was more a story about Moos and what he'd done in his time in Pullman. Leach called him 'The best athletic director I've ever worked for' primarily because of his honesty. I like that. Thinking through the PR ballet Moos must have danced when bringing Leach in and the continued heavy lifting surrounding Leach's first few building years at Washington State and I've got a picture of a guy who's able to work through most anything. On one hand he's got a very eccentric Leach whom he obviously correctly valued as a head football coach and fan base, donors and an administration he not only soothed long enough for Leach to get WSU back to playing good football, but squeezed much needed money out of to improve the program and athletics as a whole. Leach went on to say Moos had brought a 'vision of success' and unified the entire athletic department. As an outsider to the inner workings of Nebraska's athletic department, I don't know that it's truly divided, but it seems the department and it's programs, the fans, donors and administration could use a little unification. If Moos can do what he did in Pullman with few dollars and little history surrounding the program, I have to wonder what he can do here. Here's to a little unity, Moos style.

Nice.

Let's intimate that the guy we hired, who has in fact been successful in the same role at his prior stops, is a mistake because other hires have been well received.

The proof is in the pudding without question, but he's made the pudding before.

No, you are reading way to much into my post. All I meant was that the fan base was happy with the Mike Riley hire as well.....I was not comparing the AD to the HC. I was comparing the reception of the hire....
Ok. Screw it. He sucks. Let's fire him. :rolleyes:

Nice.

Let's intimate that the guy we hired, who has in fact been successful in the same role at his prior stops, is a mistake because other hires have been well received.

The proof is in the pudding without question, but he's made the pudding before.

...and when we hired Bob Devaney. So there.
Posting something yesterday that made me go back and look at when we hired Devaney. There was quote from a Wyoming guy who didn't believe Bob would leave there for Nebraska because, "... he is such a good fit with Wyoming". :Biggrin:

Now 55 years later Green says this new AD is a great "fit". Obviously an overused word. I like the new AD and do think he's a good "fit", but real fit is is usually measured retroactively. And nothing "fits" like success. ;)

Last edited:

I was impressed with Moos' rationale he stated yesterday for going with Leach. He said attendance was low and they needed to get fans while they launched facilities programs and built the program, so he hired Leach because his style would entertain fans. And it did. Good ability to find the best strategy for what's required in the situation. That can change with the situation. Smart guy.

Posting something yesterday that made me go back and look at when we hired Devaney. There was quote from a Wyoming guy who didn't believe Bob would leave there for Nebraska because, "... he is such a good fit with Wyoming". :Biggrin:

Now 55 years later Green says this new AD is a great "fit". Obviously an overused word. I like the new AD and do think he's a good "fit", but real fit is is usually measured retroactively. And nothing "fits" like success. ;)

Couldn't agree more.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back