• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Money, the changing landscape of College Athletics, and T.O.

Megatron

Recruit
5 Year Member
One of the best threads on this site asks how you became a Husker fan. While I was hardly able to walk, I had a family that supported NU and displayed their affection freely. I remember watching my almost 80 year-old immigrant Grandma becoming so upset at another loss to OU (you had to be there to understand those times in the early Osborne years), that she could hardly calm down. I have loved every minute of it and anyone who is around me knows I bled Cornhusker red.

The college landscape is changing dramatically, first NIL and now more conference movement. While in it's infancy, and tough to predict the eventual outcome, the motivating influence behind it all is MONEY. I am not sure how you can have a quarterback, who hasn't started one down, gain $1,000,000 in endorsements, all while the poor schmuck on the line in front of him, who protects him, and has started for 3 years, doesn't make 10 cents. Team building anyone?

I remember someone asking Tom Osborne, years ago, what his biggest fear was for the future of college football. His answer was simple - the influence of big money. Although money has always been part of the college landscape, this new dynamic has put the influence on steroids.

I hope the institution of college athletics, where a focus on level playing fields has at least been a small part (# of schollys, etc.), survives with what initially looks like a platform for extreme individualism founded on a money grab. Unless something changes, my guess is amateur athletics will only be present in High School sports, although I am not certain how long that survives. Who knows.

Just my opinion.

What say you?

GBR

Totally agree. I posted this statement from Saban on "other teams" but it certainly applies to your correct concerns what big money will probably do. Even little Nick sees potential problems on the horizon.

At SEC media days last week, Saban said he was unsure what the future held with players now able to profit off their name, image and likeness.

Saban hinted that someone like Young potentially earning so much more than his teammates could cause tensions in the locker room.

"It's not going to be equal, and everything that we've done in college athletics in the past has always been equal," he said. "Everybody's had equal scholarship, equal opportunity. Now, that's probably not going to be the case. Some positions, some players will have more opportunities than others. And how that's going to impact your team, our team, the players on the team, I really can't answer because we don't have any precedent for it."

Last edited:
You make some excellent points about NIL and its team impacts. I think the NIL piece will get settled in time, probably through state and/or federal legislation (since the NCAA is clearly out of this loop) with caps, sharing requirements, etc. It will just get a little out of control while we figure it out.

Last edited:
One of the best threads on this site asks how you became a Husker fan. While I was hardly able to walk, I had a family that supported NU and displayed their affection freely. I remember watching my almost 80 year-old immigrant Grandma becoming so upset at another loss to OU (you had to be there to understand those times in the early Osborne years), that she could hardly calm down. I have loved every minute of it and anyone who is around me knows I bled Cornhusker red.

The college landscape is changing dramatically, first NIL and now more conference movement. While in it's infancy, and tough to predict the eventual outcome, the motivating influence behind it all is MONEY. I am not sure how you can have a quarterback, who hasn't started one down, gain $1,000,000 in endorsements, all while the poor schmuck on the line in front of him, who protects him, and has started for 3 years, doesn't make 10 cents. Team building anyone?

I remember someone asking Tom Osborne, years ago, what his biggest fear was for the future of college football. His answer was simple - the influence of big money. Although money has always been part of the college landscape, this new dynamic has put the influence on steroids.

I hope the institution of college athletics, where a focus on level playing fields has at least been a small part (# of schollys, etc.), survives with what initially looks like a platform for extreme individualism founded on a money grab. Unless something changes, my guess is amateur athletics will only be present in High School sports, although I am not certain how long that survives. Who knows.

Just my opinion.

What say you?

GBR
Big money has been involved for a very long time. LP was driving around campus in a brand new Mustang.

Bowls have been buying people off for decades.

NIL is just another piece of the pie going public. Kids that don't produce will be dropped from sponsorships and they'll transfer out. We're already seeing big transfers and that's without money.

I don't think it's money per se that is the biggest problem with CFB, it's the transferring which doesn't allow building as much of a bond with the players IMO. CFB was always different than NFL because you felt like you watched a "kid" grow up as a player. I don't know that we'll see as much of that going forward.

NIL in itself isn't the problem. It's the RIGHT thing for a kid to profit off his own name, image, and likeness. It's the perversion of it that's the issue. But agree, don't like what all these changes are gonna mean for this game.

Last edited:
Whatever is finally legislated/ruled you can bet it will be adjucated probably via the Supreme Court imo. Few players are going to be thrilled except some star players that get to cash in. When new players that haven't even taken a snap come strolling in with new cars and fat bank accounts there's going to be some friction. Don't kid yourself because it's human nature when big money is the driving force.

The system is on the fast train to NFL-Litesville.
I agree but the difference is ALL players get a slice of pie in the NFL. That's not going to happen with NIL imo which is bound to to create some team issues. Nothing we can do except watch and see what ultimately plays out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back