• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Model trains

TX Husker, is there any sort of table top train set (micro) that is worth a darn, that I could just set up, play with, and then store it away? I don't have room for a semi permanent set up.

I do like to set up my son's O Scale Polar Express that runs around the Christmas tree. That's a lot of fun. I have quite a bit of extra track but might splurge on even more this year!

If you're short on available space, you could put together an N scale layout using Kato Unitrack, which is reliable and has an excellent assortment of track. Quite a few N scale modelers will buy a (interior) door from Home Depot / Lowe's and use it as the "benchwork". Alternatively, you could buy an inexpensive @6' folding table from Costco / Sam's Club.

N-Gauge Unitrack and Accessories - KATO USA : Precision Railroad Models

Kato also sells HO scale Unitrack, but the selection is limited in comparison to the N scale offerings.

Last edited:

If you're short on available space, you could put together an N scale layout using Kato Unitrack, which is reliable and has an excellent assortment of track. Quite a few N scale modelers will buy a (interior) door from Home Depot / Lowe's and use it as the "benchwork". Alternatively, you could buy an inexpensive @6' folding table from Costco / Sam's Club.

N-Gauge Unitrack and Accessories - KATO USA : Precision Railroad Models

Kato also sells HO scale Unitrack, but the selection is limited in comparison to the N scale offerings.

What about those supposed Z scale trains?

1608307014518.png

If your eyesight and dexterity are still good, Z scale (1:220) might be an option. If you enjoy tinkering with things or detailing items, it can be more challenging working with a smaller scale item. Also keep in mind commercial Z scale offerings are limited in comparison with HO (1:87) & N (1:160) scale. Some of the larger model railroad vendors don't offer Z scale versions, so expect to pay more. Check out the links below for an idea of what is available.

Model Trains, Train Sets, & Railroad Accessories | ModelTrainStuff

Walthers Model Railroading | Model Trains | Train Sets | Ho Scale

Athearn Trains

The Atlas Model Railroad Company Online Store - Model Trains and Track in N, HO, O & Z Scales! (atlasrr.com)

KATO USA : Precision Railroad Models

Z scale is too small for my liking. My eyesight isn't what it used to be. N scale is as small as I'll go.

I model HO scale but also have Kato Unitrack for a small N scale switching layout I've been thinking about since...forever. From my perspective, HO scale offers the best mix of size, product availability and cost. YMMV, especially if space/portability is the top consideration. That's why I had mentioned N scale Unitrack earlier -- it is durable and very easy to assemble & take apart. The tradeoff is somewhat higher price and aesthetically, it isn't North American prototypical.

Last edited:
You can get a Ready-to-run (RTR) set, but most of those are cheap and don't last. You could do a small 2x4 feet set-up as a switching module. Buy a GP40 Alco RS1 (or S2/S4) engine in your favorite road name and 8 to 10 cars and switch them. You could build it to the free-mo standard and then take it to meets, that is always fun. You can get info at free-mo.org.

I fixed it for you. :Biggrin:

I have a few of these (from a much earlier Walthers kit run). Reminds me of my time in Nebraska.
Nebraska Consolidated Mills R.T.R – 001-097059 – Con-Cor Trains (con-cor.com)

I have an old Atlas RS1 in the old SP Black widow paint scheme. Back in the day that was as good as it got. I would love to put a decoder in it and run it again.

SP's Black Widow paint scheme is one of the best in railroad history. The old (yellow box w/Kato drive) engines are great runners. I have several, including an Illinois Terminal RS1. Installing a sound decoder is on my to do list, but I'm holding off for now. I keep hoping Atlas will release a new version with factory installed sound (and improved detailing from the updated tooling).

SP's Black Widow paint scheme is one of the best in railroad history. The old (yellow box w/Kato drive) engines are great runners. I have several, including an Illinois Terminal RS1. Installing a sound decoder is on my to do list, but I'm holding off for now. I keep hoping Atlas will release a new version with factory installed sound (and improved detailing from the updated tooling).
I'm an SP guy and have 3 SD45-T's I want to get decoders in and run as a set. My son is a Santa Fe fan so we have a lot of BNSF equipment.

So the Kodachrome paint scheme works for both of you, right, lol? Who knows what would have happened if the SP-Santa Fe merger had been allowed. Definitely consider installing decoders if those engines are still good runners.

I grew up with a N&W mainline down the street. Since N&W eventually bought Illinois Terminal, IT allows me to freelance. In my world, Illinois is noted for its logging industry.

Is there such a thing as Missouri pacific model trains? My grandad worked for Mopac. I’d love to have a model mopac train to display.

I kNow this isn't about trains &/or train sets themselves but, I have some friends in the Elmwood, Ne. area that have the old Mopac line behind their property. As it's now been converted into a biking/hiking trail; we really enjoy walking it. It's well taken care of and all flat.

I'm an ex-railroader myself having worked for over 15 years with UP at the old Omaha Shops. :Smile:

I kNow this isn't about trains &/or train sets themselves but, I have some friends in the Elmwood, Ne. area that have the old Mopac line behind their property. As it's now been converted into a biking/hiking trail; we really enjoy walking it. It's well taken care of and all flat.

I'm an ex-railroader myself having worked for over 15 years with UP at the old Omaha Shops. :Smile:

Fond memories of mopac. I got to ride in an engine for about a mile when I was a child.

Is there such a thing as Missouri pacific model trains? My grandad worked for Mopac. I’d love to have a model mopac train to display.
There are definitely Missouri Pacific road name cars and engines out there. Some are from the era after they merged with UP so they will have UP on them somewhere. A search on eBay shows quite a bit of stuff just in N scale, which is what I model in.

There are definitely Missouri Pacific road name cars and engines out there. Some are from the era after they merged with UP so they will have UP on them somewhere. A search on eBay shows quite a bit of stuff just in N scale, which is what I model in.
I might try to find a set just for a small display.

Yes. Availability of a specific item in Mopac will vary by release -- as it does with all road names. Click on the links I posted above (on 12/18) and search. Definitely check ebay, which is great for items that were made in years past, as well as current releases.

I did a very quick (basic) search on Mopac. Some of the "found" items might be for previous or future releases.

Mopac items currently at modeltrainstuff.com

Mopac items currently at Walthers

Mopac items currently at Athearn

The article below on Mopac history might be of interest.

MoPac R.R. History in Nebraska - Screaming Eagles Over the Prairie (trainweb.org)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back