• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Model trains

@dwc13

I've seen one of these mileage markers where we walk. :Rockon:

480marker.jpg

That's great! So my grandad was a "hobo" back in his teen years, and rode trains unauthorized throughout Appalachia for a time. He got a job working in the yard for MoPac in Nashville, and they said if you'll go to college you can work in our offices. So he went to David Lipscomb for a time and sure enough, moved into the offices at MoPac in Nashville. They soon realized he was a good salesman, and transferred him to their Cincinnati office.

Several years after that, they said "we are transferring you to Amarillo, Texas." He had a new baby. He had never been to Texas. He had to come down and work before his wife (my grandma) and my mom were quite ready to move. He came by train and when he arrived at the depot in Amarillo, it was one of those huge dust storms where it was the middle of the day, and everything was dark as night. He looked around and thought "Where in God's name have they transferred me to?" Covering his face with a wet handerchief, he walked a few blocks over to the Herring Hotel, and when he walked in the lobby, the dust was so thick he could barely see the front desk!

1609469214011.png

He then would transfer years later to Winston Salem NC, then to Springfield MO, then to Indianapolis. When he retired and moved back to Tennessee, he was the national sales manager for Missouri Pacific! He was so smart and such a hard worker.

But I am in Amarillo, Texas because of his many years here where my mom stayed behind with her new husband, my dad.

Last edited:
I have an old Atlas RS1 in the old SP Black widow paint scheme. Back in the day that was as good as it got. I would love to put a decoder in it and run it again.

A sound decoder install is a bit more complicated (than non-sound) because of the additional wiring needed for the speaker. It's a new year, so here's a potential first project for you.
Sound decoder install in an Atlas Alco RS-1 (HO)

@dwc13

I've seen one of these mileage markers where we walk. :Rockon:

480marker.jpg

Nice piece of history from a bygone era. Nebraska has long been one of the most important states for railroads. A good part of the long gone Cowboy Line (Chicago & North Western) has been converted into a long trail. Unfortunately, I never made it to those parts of the state while I was going to grad school at UNL. Someday, perhaps.

Cowboy Trail

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back