• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Minnesota Week Practice Thread: 30 August: Depart For Minnesota

Maybe, but half the job in college is recruiting and you've removed that component.
I am not sure if you are aware of this but TO and Nick played each other twice. Not that Nick was what he would become, but they did play twice. Tom spent 25 years in college football being an above average to good recruiter. The original comparison was between Barry Switzer and him. Switzer was an amazing recruiter. So was Tom. Switzer was also a darn good college coach. IMPO Switzer was a better coach (development and X's and O's) than Saban. If you put Tom's best teams up against Saban's its not even close. If you take his worst teams against Saban's its not even close. However, I would argue that a lot of Alabama's middle performing teams would have done pretty well (maybe break .500) compared to Tom's middle of the road teams. Tom was simply that good.

Or, Babers hires good coaches who make a name for themselves, and they move up to more prominent programs and a pay raise, as in the case of Tony White and Minnie's Nick Monroe.
No, they already have a good track record at small schools, Dll and the like, or overlooked position coaches in FCS.
Just looking at who he's lost and look into the backgrounds shows he's doing it right

I am not sure if you are aware of this but TO and Nick played each other twice. Not that Nick was what he would become, but they did play twice. Tom spent 25 years in college football being an above average to good recruiter. The original comparison was between Barry Switzer and him. Switzer was an amazing recruiter. So was Tom. Switzer was also a darn good college coach. IMPO Switzer was a better coach (development and X's and O's) than Saban. If you put Tom's best teams up against Saban's its not even close. If you take his worst teams against Saban's its not even close. However, I would argue that a lot of Alabama's middle performing teams would have done pretty well (maybe break .500) compared to Tom's middle of the road teams. Tom was simply that good.
I'm aware and I think Tom was better overall compared to Saban. Tom could have coached another 5+ years easily and likely won a few more NC.

The guy I think gets overlooked from a pure coaching standpoint is Synder. That dude could flat out coach. Weird as heck, but he knew how to take below average kids and get them to play well as a team.

Undersized worries me a bit being in the big 10. Its a long season to hold up to the pounding.

I guess I don't know where you are getting undersized? Robinson and the Polar Bear are 320ish Gunnerson is 275. He looks like a 3rd Bosa brother. The Chief is 240, Bullock is 230, the LB with the most experience is the lightest. Sherman is 250. The secondary guys are good size DBs.

They are going to rotate a lot of guys through. I would agree that the backups on the line are a little small but everyone else has decent size.

Classic reason why the tool of measurement is the deception itself. If you took 2 teams with the exact same players, and had Coach Tom vs Saban with a full Spring and Fall camp. Tom would take him to the Woodshed.
I would agree with you, but unfortunately, that’s not how most will see it. He’s the greatest ever in my book. I mean, hell, look what Nebraska has become without him?

I guess I don't know where you are getting undersized? Robinson and the Polar Bear are 320ish Gunnerson is 275. He looks like a 3rd Bosa brother. The Chief is 240, Bullock is 230, the LB with the most experience is the lightest. Sherman is 250. The secondary guys are good size DBs.

They are going to rotate a lot of guys through. I would agree that the backups on the line are a little small but everyone else has decent size.
And, we're talking angles, you need somewhat smaller quick guys to hit those angles

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back