• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Minnesota @ Nebraska Game Thread (12/12/20)

Who else was gnashing their teeth after that first backwards pass play?

I thought exactly the same thing. It’s the same kind of crap that set the tone against Illinois. And this is such a young and fragile team. I just don’t understand that play until you have a decent rythem or at least have pounded a bit..test them out On the ground...settle in a bit.

Frost’s in denial at this point. Opponents obviously didn’t play much defense against him while at Oregon and UCF.

The fix is not hard at all. Basic handoffs up the middle with some occasional play action and QB runs probably yields us better than we saw today.

Who else was gnashing their teeth after that first backwards pass play? Can the cutesy stuff and implement a power running game already!
This is maddening!! Frost won a national championship as a player utilizing power run game. Him not employing that is Puzzling! I don't get it!

I thought exactly the same thing. It’s the same kind of crap that set the tone against Illinois. And this is such a young and fragile team. I just don’t understand that play until you have a decent rythem or at least have pounded a bit..test them out On the ground...settle in a bit.

Frost being stubborn again to start out with that drivel. Obviously it’s a horrible play if we can’t even do the most critical part-THROW THE BALL FORWARD!!!-much less complete the pass.

So a terrible risk-reward but when we keep seeing the exact same horror show over and over the pain only compounds itself.

We PROVE it’s a terrible play for us, that we can’t execute, yet he goes right back to it!

:Banghead:

Last edited:
Anybody see the single score loss stat during the game... Tarheels had 13, DONU & Purdue 11 over the past 3 seasons.

Guess my only takeaway from that was Brown & Brohm seem to be generally regarded as doing a decent job at their respective universities...

The first play of both games was a disaster... and we never recovered mentally. Before kickoff, I expected us to win the game. After the first play, I knew we were in for a long day. It's sad that all it takes is one or two bad plays to break this team's will, but that seems to be where we are it.

Last edited:
Anybody see the single score loss stat during the game... Tarheels had 13, DONU & Purdue 11 over the past 3 seasons.
That stat blew me away. I knew it had been a lot but I have no clue it was 11.....and now 12.

The optimistic side of me....the glass half full guy....says that that stat shows that we are close and also the law probabilities is going to catch up and we’re going to start winning a lot of those ones score games.

It’s happened before. I’m just saying. You score there, complete nail in coffin.
There has been many times I have seen a team score twice with an onside kick in last minute. In my 40 some years of watching football I have seen a team botch and lose a snap from victory formation once.

There has been many times I have seen a team score twice with an onside kick in last minute. In my 40 some years of watching football I have seen a team botch and lose a snap from victory formation once.
1978. Philadelphia Eagles against the Giants. Which means it could happen. And, did you really think Nebraska could score, twice, touchdowns in 50 seconds? Lol. They can’t execute 4 straight plays together. Score and be done.

1978. Philadelphia Eagles against the Giants. Which means it could happen. And, did you really think Nebraska could score, twice, touchdowns in 50 seconds? Lol. They can’t execute 4 straight plays together. Score and be done.
I get the part about our offense but I like my odds even better with the way that backfired once in 1978.

I get the part about our offense but I like my odds even better with the way that backfired once in 1978.
I just like having more than one score separation. Executing an onside kick is very hard and unlikely, even though it happens. I’m scoring. Just me though. I see your point.

I just like having more than one score separation. Executing an onside kick is very hard and unlikely, even though it happens. I’m scoring. Just me though. I see your point.
How about I just say that if roles were reversed I could still see us losing the game both ways.

think it boils down to unninspired play....lack of physicality
TWO very critical and unnecessary turnovers
good initial game plan that failed to work and was not adjusted.
A debatable targeting call that gave them a score
A horrifically bad holding call that took a TD off the books
Missed chip shot field goal
Adrians ball started sailing on him again
questionable play calls and tempo that quickly goes 3 and out
Staying in a soft zone when our secondary matched up so well in man
Zero pass rush

Kind of same old same old that has been our demons all year

on the other side......

Flecks slow it down game plan was executed PERFECTLY
Their play action pass game was superbly executed...great ball handling
run game got it done
zero turnovers

They didn’t so much as win the game.....they were patient...did what they do best and just let Nebraska lose the game. Which has kind of been are MO for a while now. I mean that stat that they threw up that we were second in the nation on games lost by a touchdown or less just blew me away away.....

They did EXACTLY the same thing against Purdue with a ton of folks injured and absent. And won it on the worst offensive pass interference call of the century

I think Martinez had very few good throws. The dude cannot throw with touch...be it short passes or long passes.
It seems like 15-20 is his sweet spot or our ever favorite 10 yard horizontal. I love the kid, but he's not a P5 starter.

I think our problems are deeper than Adrian.

But they tend to get amplified when he is not playing absolutely superbly.

but yes, I think 10 to 15 is about his sweet spot.

But I also think you go to war with what you’ve got. And I just dont see Scott or the offense is “scheming“ enough to use what we have right now to its best advantage.

quit the tempo, quit the wide variety of plays, slow things down, simplify. If your quarterbacks can only hit 10 to 15 then concentrate on play action or rollouts that will do that. They have great legs....use that!

I just think that we are too arrogant. We keep trying to stick a square peg in a round hole. We have seen some things work. Build around that.

this is not Oregon, the Big Ten is not the Pac 12. And he certainly doesn’t have the skill players he needs to run that kind of thing anyway.

Minnesota had an average quarterback who could throw 10 to 15 and was an excellent ball handler and ran the play action pass to perfection. they also had one really good running back.

They simply used that formula all game....

They didn’t try to force their will on anyone. They simply used the tools that they had and waited for us to make a mistake. And it worked....

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back