• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Miles needs to hit the road.

Last year and this year our defense has stunk it up quite a few times also.

At times, sure. But for the most part our defense has been solid this year at least. Have held UCLA and Creighton well below their average. Problem is you still have no chance when YOUR team has trouble getting to 60+.

Why come to this room then?:Confused:
Don't care much for basketball but I love me some Huskers, so I do like to know what is going on. Even go to a game or two a year to support them. Basketball is much better in person. I follow Rifle, bowling, tennis, gymnastics and I am not a real big fan of those either but since the huskers participate I like to know what is going on. I was not a fan of the hire when it happened, I liked Doc (even though it was time to go). I thought after Miles had the real good season that maybe I was wrong. I guess I wasn't.

Solid contribution.
We all drop a turd every once in a while, don't we.

I guess I am with ReDo on this. Nebraska has never been real good at basketball in its history I don't understand all the real upset people.

Nebraska doesn't produce enough in state talent. Heck if NU could get 1 3 star guy a year out of the state that would be a big help. They don't have the tradition to recruit and bring in the best from around the country like a Kansas does.

IMO if NU could consistantly get to the top half of the bottom of the B1G they would be doing well. I mean come in around 6-8 consistantly. To me that would be doing real well.

Last edited:
I guess I am with ReDo on this. Nebraska has never been real good at basketball in its history I don't understand all the real upset people.

Nebraska doesn't produce enough in state talent. Heck if NU could get 1 3 star guy a year out of the state that would be a big help. They don't have the tradition to recruit and bring in the best from around the country like a Kansas does.

IMO if NU could consistantly get to the top half of the bottom of the B1G they would be doing well. I mean come in around 6-8 consistantly. To me that would be doing real well.

I guess I don't quite buy the Nebraska doesn't produce enought talent. Patton and Thomas for Creighton seem to be pretty good. I don't know how many stars they were but they seem to be above average players especially Patton. Seems like Creighton is able to snag pretty good Nebraska talent every so often.

Why isn't Nebraska getting these guys? I don't follow recruiting enough to know if we offered these guys or even tried for them.

I guess I don't quite buy the Nebraska doesn't produce enought talent. Patton and Thomas for Creighton seem to be pretty good. I don't know how many stars they were but they seem to be above average players especially Patton. Seems like Creighton is able to snag pretty good Nebraska talent every so often.

Why isn't Nebraska getting these guys? I don't follow recruiting enough to know if we offered these guys or even tried for them.

I guess that is my point, I am not sure that Nebraska even offered either one of those guys. I think Patton has improved a ton since HS. I guess I should have added in my post that even when they do have a good player they end up going somewhere that has more tradition and clout than Nebraska. Usually they went to Kansas.

Fortunately they don't need Kansas type guys so they can get to the elite 8 every year because thats not the expection. they need solid bball players who are coached properly. You may not understand why some are upset, but that may because the details of what are being displayed on the court are being lost on you. Nobody's fault...i don't meant that as an insult, by any means.

my point is this. with the players that NU has, in its fold as we speak, the product on the floor should be better then what it is. There are a litany of examples that indicate NU is not a well coached team, fundamentally speaking.

Some people just see a loss and figure, well, Its NU bball, what else is new. My answer is, well nothing, but how about we maximize the talent we have and see where that gets us. Right now, the talent we have is not being maximized. One reason for that is the general confusion and lack of cohesion and purpose on offense. I mentioned a few games ago that I'm still shocked that 5 years in, Nebraska STILL doesn't have a proper plan to attack a 2/3 zone. So just remember that statement, and the next time a team defends us with a 2/3 zone, watch what NU does, or doesn't do, and ask yourself Why that is. Once you start doing that, you'll start to understand why a lot of NU fans are frustrated and tired of this.

Do i expect NU to get to the tourney every year? no. I'm just ready to see a product on the floor that looks well coached and I don't expect to see that with Miles at the helm. thats my conclusion.

While I ring coaches wasn't to's strong suit "hiring on the cheap" has nothing tendon with it. I'll ask the same question I ask in the football threads. name your money basketball coach that would come coach at nebraska. please....name one guy that would be worth....say $3m...that would logically take the job.
You're right, we could pay $5 million and we couldn't get a top notch college basketball coach to come here. You offer up $3 million though and have quality pay for assistants...you'll hire a pretty damn good coach.

Considering how bout Frank Martin wanted the job, he probably would have come for Miles money. Instead he wasn't good enough to interview and now he's made South Carolina pretty good just like he resurrected a school a few hours south of Lincoln.

Fortunately they don't need Kansas type guys so they can get to the elite 8 every year because thats not the expection. they need solid bball players who are coached properly. You may not understand why some are upset, but that may because the details of what are being displayed on the court are being lost on you. Nobody's fault...i don't meant that as an insult, by any means.

my point is this. with the players that NU has, in its fold as we speak, the product on the floor should be better then what it is. There are a litany of examples that indicate NU is not a well coached team, fundamentally speaking.

Some people just see a loss and figure, well, Its NU bball, what else is new. My answer is, well nothing, but how about we maximize the talent we have and see where that gets us. Right now, the talent we have is not being maximized. One reason for that is the general confusion and lack of cohesion and purpose on offense. I mentioned a few games ago that I'm still shocked that 5 years in, Nebraska STILL doesn't have a proper plan to attack a 2/3 zone. So just remember that statement, and the next time a team defends us with a 2/3 zone, watch what NU does, or doesn't do, and ask yourself Why that is. Once you start doing that, you'll start to understand why a lot of NU fans are frustrated and tired of this.

Do i expect NU to get to the tourney every year? no. I'm just ready to see a product on the floor that looks well coached and I don't expect to see that with Miles at the helm. thats my conclusion.

Please don't lecture me. I have read all your posts, I know you think they are poorly coached. I know you don't think they maintain proper floor spacing and don't know how to attack a 2/3 zone and do not have a set offence, only concepts that they try to run which is what causes the poor spacing.

Is McDermott a better coach? I don't know, I do know he couldn't really cut it at ISU and high tailed it back to a Mid-Major instead of getting fired. I look at Creighton this year and see a really talented team that deserves to be ranked in the top 10. They beat NU because they are that much better than Nebraska, so is UCLA. Guess what Kansas is that much better also.

I am not a BBall expert I coached football and wrestling for 20 years. But when I see Nebraska basketball the one thing that I always see is that they can not consistantly shoot the ball well. They never have 2-3 guys that can set up and shoot 40% from the 3 pt line. They don't have guys that can hit a 12 footer consistantly. Why is that? This isn't a Tim Miles thing this is a Collier, Sadler, Miles thing. I watched Shevon Shields for the last 3 years score 25 in a game and then the next game see him score 4. Sames goes for Petteway and Andrew White nothing consistant.

That may be too simplistic on my part but I always thought a zone defense was designed to stop the dribble drive and force a team to shoot. Well, they can't shoot, that is why they can't compete with the really good teams. Is that coaching or talent?

You're right, we could pay $5 million and we couldn't get a top notch college basketball coach to come here. You offer up $3 million though and have quality pay for assistants...you'll hire a pretty damn good coach.

Considering how bout Frank Martin wanted the job, he probably would have come for Miles money. Instead he wasn't good enough to interview and now he's made South Carolina pretty good just like he resurrected a school a few hours south of Lincoln.
Frank Martin wanted the job?

I'll take your word for that but Frank Martin had some issues of his own. IIRC there were some potential recruiting issues with him and wasn't that around the time that Pelini was developing his rep for being a bit nuts (i.e. the reprimand at A&M)? I could see where Martin's behavior would scare TO away at the time. I'd have certainly preferred that TO at least have a conversation with a guy like him for sure. But...fank martin....Tom Osborne....oil and water.

A guy I would have wanted NU to chase hard at the time would have been gregg Marshall. Long shot, as he has to have had some pretty great opportunities...then and since...but at that time he hadn't completely exploded (i.e. his final 4 run was Miles' first year). He probably wouldn't have jumped but if TO didn't at least try to talk to him he didn't properly do his job.

Please don't lecture me. I have read all your posts, I know you think they are poorly coached. I know you don't think they maintain proper floor spacing and don't know how to attack a 2/3 zone and do not have a set offence, only concepts that they try to run which is what causes the poor spacing.

Is McDermott a better coach? I don't know, I do know he couldn't really cut it at ISU and high tailed it back to a Mid-Major instead of getting fired. I look at Creighton this year and see a really talented team that deserves to be ranked in the top 10. They beat NU because they are that much better than Nebraska, so is UCLA. Guess what Kansas is that much better also.

I am not a BBall expert I coached football and wrestling for 20 years. But when I see Nebraska basketball the one thing that I always see is that they can not consistantly shoot the ball well. They never have 2-3 guys that can set up and shoot 40% from the 3 pt line. They don't have guys that can hit a 12 footer consistantly. Why is that? This isn't a Tim Miles thing this is a Collier, Sadler, Miles thing. I watched Shevon Shields for the last 3 years score 25 in a game and then the next game see him score 4. Sames goes for Petteway and Andrew White nothing consistant.

That may be too simplistic on my part but I always thought a zone defense was designed to stop the dribble drive and force a team to shoot. Well, they can't shoot, that is why they can't compete with the really good teams. Is that coaching or talent?

I'm not trying to lecture you, nor was I trying to offend you. If I did, I apologize. you stated that you didn't understand why fans were upset, and I gave you as straightforward answer as I could from my perspective....that NU is a poorly coached basketball team. Obviously thats my opinion.

McVeigh, Horne, Fuller, Watson, and possibly even Webster and Jacobsen could hit 40% from behind the arc, if they were just fed balls and no one guarding them. We have guys who can shoot. What we don't have is guys who are getting OPEN shots in games. and that is a symptom of poor offense. Everyone who plays NU knows that we have NOTHING if we can't penetrate and get to the rim. thus, the reason they play zone. Unfortunately for NU, they still run their same concept offense against a zone, and they get nothing. 1 guy ends up trying to dribble past 2 defenders, while the other 4 stand and watch. again, a symptom of poor offense.

We do have guys who can hit a 12 footer consistently. G.Watson, or even Roby, Parker or A.Gill could hit a 12 foot jumper at a 50% clip. Its not like NU has some sort of magical force field that prevents Div1 caliber athletes from being able to shoot, just because they play for NU. if they can, the question becomes, well why aren't they?

the difference in shooting, at THIS level of basketball has a lot to do with the quality of the shot and a good frame of mind. the quality of the shot is often times predicated on how OPEN a guy is.

Have you ever wondered why Jack McVeigh looks so much more open to shoot 3s when playing against SouthDakota St vs a team like CU or Clemson? Simple answer is that CU and Clemson have better athletes. Sure. and how do you combat that? with better floor balance, and scheme. NU wasn't light years behind CU or Clemson in terms of athletic ability on the floor. They are, however, light years behind CU when it comes to the proper techniques of good basketball.......its a cascade...a comedy of errors. Poor floor spacing is part of it...but its so much more then that. poor floor spacing is just a symptom of a greater lack of focus and attention to detail, and all of those things wrap themselves up into the giant cluster of garbage that is NU's offense.

if we can get open shots against lesser competition, and shoot good percentages, then why can't we do it against better competition? answer is because your deficiencies shine a lot brighter when facing athletes of your same caliber. unfortunately for NU, when all is equal or even slightly close to equal, CU is still 25+ pts better the NU. consistently. Each year for the past 5+ years. Who would be responsible for that?

Well this team is poorly coached then, which has been going on for 20 years, because they haven't shot the ball worth a crap for that long.

I get the desire to win by the fan base. All the games we lost this year were to teams that weren't surprises. We lost to Creighton about the same as Wisconsin and NC State did. Creighton is a good team.

It is tough to build a tradition in a place that doesn't have one. If you were to rank college bkb programs by all time success where would NU be? Not in the top 50, probably not in the top 75. Great established coaches aren't going to come here. The state doesn't produce much talent.

So we can fire Miles, who many other coaches nationally seem to think well of, and hire another guy like Miles and hope he pans out.

Regarding this years team and next, I think there is hope but in the end we are probably in trouble.

The front court will be ok.

Morrow will work hard and get some rebounds but be limited by his height sometimes. I bet he leads us in rebounds for 3 years.

Jacobson will keep improving, he needs to hit some of those 3's he likes to take or take a dribble in for a long 2. He will be one of those dependable guys who we will miss in 3 years.

McVeigh has the ability to be pretty good but he needs to nutup, get to the hoop, be aggressive. If he doesn't want to do that he should just tell Miles he wants to be a spot up 3 guy and get it over with.

Jordy is a project but he has some ability and looks like he will work hard. By the time he leaves I think we will be excited he was here.

I am warming up to Roby. He is long, a good athlete and even though he missed a couple of 3's vs CU he looked natural taking them. Missing 20 practices with a pelvic injury set him back but he will keep improving too.

The back courts is where I can't see us improving. The good news is Webster and Watson are studs. You can see Watson's bkb immaturity sometimes but he is a really good player. Webster is one of the best g's in the B1G. The challenge is Gill seems completely lost, can't imagine how to "fix" him. Taylor's problem is on offense. He doesn't seem even able to hit a 10 footer and every time he dribbles the ball seems to go bouncing off his knees. If we don't have both Watson and Webster in the game the back court is weak. Next year, even if Palmer effectively makes up for Watson we will still be back to two guards. I don't know how Miles gets past that.

Last edited:

Couple of things here:
1)Basketball sucks (love watching high school and small college, but big time ball is horrible)
2)Really just one thing.

Obviously, everyone has their preferences. But I will say, if you put a quality product on the floor, the interest grows infinitely. Or, quality players. We do know the Husker fan base is like few in this country ... and I'm talking all sports. Put a product on the playing surface worth watching, and we'll show up in droves. Heck, we even show up better than average with a sub-par team to root for.

We have had enough great moments (relative to NU hoops history as a whole) where the arena was absolutely nuts. Heck, clinching an NIT bid in the Iba era has people streaming to the floor to celebrate. And obviously, Nee coached the best teams in Husker history (though he wasn't a great coach, he just knew how to allure great talent). And Miles in year two.

Personally, I love college hoops. A very close second to college football. Though March Madness is the single best event in all of sports, at all levels. I've mostly given up on hoping to ever see a consistent winner at Nebraska over the long-term. Not that I think it's absolutely impossible. But just not something to hold my breath over. I do think there's too many excuses, however, as to why it can't happen at Nebraska. Sometimes, I think these excuses weigh us down. But if NU fields a quality team ... one of those teams that come around maybe a couple times per decade ... not elite, but a team that know has postseason berth potential and is capable of huge upsets ... then it's about the most entertaining sport I've seen. Many great moments watching Husker hoops in person and on TV (even the radio, long ago). But ultimately, it's about having a team that brings excitement to the fan base. Then many will come around that otherwise say watching college hoops is horrible. Easy to say that when we aren't winning the games that really matter.

I'm not trying to lecture you, nor was I trying to offend you. If I did, I apologize. you stated that you didn't understand why fans were upset, and I gave you as straightforward answer as I could from my perspective....that NU is a poorly coached basketball team. Obviously thats my opinion.

McVeigh, Horne, Fuller, Watson, and possibly even Webster and Jacobsen could hit 40% from behind the arc, if they were just fed balls and no one guarding them. We have guys who can shoot. What we don't have is guys who are getting OPEN shots in games. and that is a symptom of poor offense. Everyone who plays NU knows that we have NOTHING if we can't penetrate and get to the rim. thus, the reason they play zone. Unfortunately for NU, they still run their same concept offense against a zone, and they get nothing. 1 guy ends up trying to dribble past 2 defenders, while the other 4 stand and watch. again, a symptom of poor offense.

We do have guys who can hit a 12 footer consistently. G.Watson, or even Roby, Parker or A.Gill could hit a 12 foot jumper at a 50% clip. Its not like NU has some sort of magical force field that prevents Div1 caliber athletes from being able to shoot, just because they play for NU. if they can, the question becomes, well why aren't they?

the difference in shooting, at THIS level of basketball has a lot to do with the quality of the shot and a good frame of mind. the quality of the shot is often times predicated on how OPEN a guy is.

Have you ever wondered why Jack McVeigh looks so much more open to shoot 3s when playing against SouthDakota St vs a team like CU or Clemson? Simple answer is that CU and Clemson have better athletes. Sure. and how do you combat that? with better floor balance, and scheme. NU wasn't light years behind CU or Clemson in terms of athletic ability on the floor. They are, however, light years behind CU when it comes to the proper techniques of good basketball.......its a cascade...a comedy of errors. Poor floor spacing is part of it...but its so much more then that. poor floor spacing is just a symptom of a greater lack of focus and attention to detail, and all of those things wrap themselves up into the giant cluster of garbage that is NU's offense.

if we can get open shots against lesser competition, and shoot good percentages, then why can't we do it against better competition? answer is because your deficiencies shine a lot brighter when facing athletes of your same caliber. unfortunately for NU, when all is equal or even slightly close to equal, CU is still 25+ pts better the NU. consistently. Each year for the past 5+ years. Who would be responsible for that?

Nebraska has struggled to get consistent inside/outside scoring on one team for several years. When you don't have scorers - either those who drive to the basket or who can fill it up from the outside - you have to find grinders on defense and predicate your strategy on limiting posessions

As for hitting the 12' shot, most kids today don't practice open jumpers that close, too many kids standing on the 3 point line. I am not offering that as an excuse for Nebraska, just an observation. By the way, I don't think any of us have seen enough of Roby to suggest he can hit 50% of said shots consistently

And who is Parker?

Frank Martin wanted the job?

I'll take your word for that but Frank Martin had some issues of his own. IIRC there were some potential recruiting issues with him and wasn't that around the time that Pelini was developing his rep for being a bit nuts (i.e. the reprimand at A&M)? I could see where Martin's behavior would scare TO away at the time. I'd have certainly preferred that TO at least have a conversation with a guy like him for sure. But...fank martin....Tom Osborne....oil and water.

A guy I would have wanted NU to chase hard at the time would have been gregg Marshall. Long shot, as he has to have had some pretty great opportunities...then and since...but at that time he hadn't completely exploded (i.e. his final 4 run was Miles' first year). He probably wouldn't have jumped but if TO didn't at least try to talk to him he didn't properly do his job.

Greg Marshall was pursued by Nebraska, and by Illinois, and at least one other Power 5 school that year. But he's got a pretty good gig at Wichita State. At the time his salary was bumped to near 2 million a year to keep him there. He also has amenities that not every mid-major has. His team travels in private jets loaned to them by the Koch brothers. He also has personal access to the jets. His practice facilities have been upgraded and Koch Area sells out, is loud, and a good home court advantage. A year later, after his team went 37-0 before being eliminated by Kentucky in the round of 32, Alabama went after him pretty hard with a ton of money. The Shocker boosters (at the urging of the Koch brothers) raised enough money to keep him at 3 million a season.
2 others that were considered where Jim Groce and Dana Altman. Groce coached the Ohio Bobcats to a sweet sixteen and had a good team returning, but signed with Illinois instead. Groce has under-performed at Illinois. When Altman (a former coach of Creighton) surfaced as a potential suitor, the reaction was surprisingly mixed. Since then, Altman has done a good job at Oregon and the Pac-12.
I wasn't aware Martin wanted the job, but the timeline would have been right. Martin had a dispute with the KSU AD (I forget the details, but it had to with lack of support on an NCAA issue with an individual player) and wanted out, eventually going to South Carolina. Bruce Weber was fired from Illinois, and then hired at Kansas State. And I agree with the assessment of Frank Martin and Tom Osborne personality wise. Oil and water.

The thing that held back Nebraska in the past, is that mediocre teams were being supported by ordinary facilities. Now the Huskers have state of the art practice facilities that even pro teams are envious of, and a sparkling new arena. Probably top 10 in the country. That extra commitment should raise expectations on the program. In my opinion, Nebraska should be finishing in the top 6 of the conference on a yearly basis with an occasional run at the conference title every 5 years or so. That would mean the Tournament almost every year. The Huskers should be as good or better than Wisconsin.

With Miles, it appears Nebraska is treading water at the bottom third of the conference. With the uptick in Big Ten funding starting in 2017, it's time to go after a bigger fish that can recruit nationally (or internationally).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back