• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Measurables?

I don’t think height in many cases is one. Will Shields was listed at 6’2”. NFL coach Bill Callahan would have loved having him play left guard for him for 10 years.

College coach Bill Callahan would never have recruited him. He is too short.

Ok?

Tom Seaver once commented (as told to me - I wasn't aware) that Maddux and Glavine wouldn't make it in today's MLB - not because they weren't great, because they were - but because they would never have made it up the minor league ladder. In his opinion, apparently, they would have been culled out because of insufficient "measurables."

just sayin height and size are great, but other things should matter more. I think the NFL is figuring that out.

I think the NFL has had it figured out for many decades.

While I agree that height and weight aren't the most important attributes, those measurables do matter. For some positions, they matter more than others. I don't think the NFL has ever declared weight and height to be the most important (but it sure would make for a really short combine).

Sure, the NFL doesn't always get it right -- but they do many more times than not. We hear about the Russell Wilson types that exceed what the book suggests they should -- or the Ryan Leaf types that are physical specimens but mental midgets -- but that's because it's much more interesting news to note those who defy what size and draft number suggest. The NFL has done years and years of extensive research into what will make a quality player at the professional level. And the vast majority of the time, they are correct. And have been for many years. In a multi-billion dollar industry, they aren't just now getting around to figuring it out. ;)

Last edited:

OK this has ALWAYS been a sticking point for me. Are there more successful tall QBs because they are naturally better or because they are given a shot? It is so hard for shorter guys to get a shot that they almost never make a roster. By percentage I would bet that tall QBs fail more often. Mainly because so many are brought in because of their size that are actually average QBs. But hey...they look good getting off the bus.

I had to look that one up. Had not heard of him.

I guess the thing I find amazing when I have met or been around some really good players, a lot that played at Nebraska is how small some of them were. I was amazed at how small Ralph Brown was. Bobby Newcombe was maybe 5’10”. Aaron Taylor is like 5’11”. Dave Rimington was listed at 6’3” he was about 6’1”. Mike Tramner a NG in early 80s was about 5’10.
A couple years ago I met a guy that I don't doubt played major college football, he said for Fresno St., and he was claiming to have graduated at 6'5" 285. Now he was a rock, but the whole time I was looking down at him, I'm 6'4".

My main point was why do these guys lie about it? They are all going to be tested. It amuses me, but I agree that height really doesn't matter, watch the tape, can the guy play or not?

Last edited:

A couple years ago I met a guy that I don't doubt played major college football, he said for Fresno St., and he was claiming to have graduated at 6'5" 285. Now he was a rock, but the whole time I was looking down at him, I'm 6'4".
Hear that. When I was at Iowa in the late 70s, a starter for Iowa BB, Steve Carfino was listed at 6-4. Stood next to him on the Cambus many times, eye to eye, and I was/am 6-2.

I think the NFL and pro sports in general lose sight of the forest for the trees.

Ability and skill matter more than arbitrary measurables.
The guy that always gets me is Barron Miles. IMO he is the greatest corner to ever play at NE. He could not get a sniff at the NFL. Yet he goes up to Canada and becomes the all time INT leader. Now I know the CFL is not the NFL but the talent level is not as big as some would make it out to be. Generally the top guys up there do just fine in the NFL when given a chance. Warren Moon, Doug Flutie etc when given a shot did just fine in the NFL. If nothing else Barron was a beast on ST. Anybody remember him taking the ball off the foot of the punter in the end zone for a touchdown? Guess what...he did that twice more that I am aware of in the CFL.

Tom Seaver once commented (as told to me - I wasn't aware) that Maddux and Glavine wouldn't make it in today's MLB - not because they weren't great, because they were - but because they would never have made it up the minor league ladder. In his opinion, apparently, they would have been culled out because of insufficient "measurables."

Maddox's fast ball would have been the sticking point for most Major League managers and GM's now. THAT would be absolute poor talent evaluation for all the wrong reasons. Just because a guy can't hit 90 on the gun doesn't mean he can't make batters look stupid....and he still would today.

The guy that always gets me is Barron Miles. IMO he is the greatest corner to ever play at NE. He could not get a sniff at the NFL. Yet he goes up to Canada and becomes the all time INT leader. Now I know the CFL is not the NFL but the talent level is not as big as some would make it out to be. Generally the top guys up there do just fine in the NFL when given a chance. Warren Moon, Doug Flutie etc when given a shot did just fine in the NFL. If nothing else Barron was a beast on ST. Anybody remember him taking the ball off the foot of the punter in the end zone for a touchdown? Guess what...he did that twice more that I am aware of in the CFL.

There are a handful of really good examples of 'misses' by either college level coaches or the NFL and Miles is one of them. Danny Woodhead was another. There is no reason he shouldn't have been on a D1 roster. Somewhere.

There is a reason most of the guys in the league fit into the slots NFL player personnel folks have created. Those guys USUALLY survive if not thrive. You'll absolutely have outliers and they miss guys like Miles and miss the other way with guys like Ryan Leaf, not to mention the hundreds of other guys who wash out every year because they just can't compete at the next level. There are only so many slots teams can use to bring guys in and give them a serious look outside of a 'shorts and t shirt' workout and way too many players outside looking in.

Ted Gregory says 'Hi'.
Had to look that one up. I wonder if he contributed or started as a true Freshman?

We got totally stuffed by the Orangemen in the Carrier Dome in 1984 after blowing them out in 1983. Of course we had four significant offensive players run out of eligibility.

But there was a certain defensive tackle for the ‘cuse named Tim Green who had a huge impact on the game. I wonder if Mr. Gregory played at all, too?

Years later, I understand why Syracuse played us so well that day.

Maddox's fast ball would have been the sticking point for most Major League managers and GM's now. THAT would be absolute poor talent evaluation for all the wrong reasons. Just because a guy can't hit 90 on the gun doesn't mean he can't make batters look stupid....and he still would today.

Maddux needs to write the definitive book on pitching. He was hitting 93 earlier in his career but it was his skinny frame that turned the scouts off and the fact he was getting hammered early on ...Measurables don't see brilliance behind the mental curtain.

Glavine's will to win overcame any deficient "measurables." He was a surgeon.

Sam Mills was a warrior from drop street. Very bright, as well. He had no measurables-other than a relentless drive to succeed.

Measurables are important but the outliers are the fascination.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back