• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked McKewon on 'under-the-radar or off-the-radar guys' & how NU 'out-scouts opponents'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Good stuff....bottom line is this staff can flat out recruit...no if's, but's or and's....

He also seems to think Hall may stick with his Husker commit...

Nebraska had always intended on using the April-May evaluation period to discover prospects, scout them hard, and get them here in the summer.

Nebraska has always intended on finding and offering prospects – under-the-radar or off-the-radar guys – in the spring period, stuck to that plan, and got their foot in the door as a result. And since NU has stated, more than once, that it plans from here to evaluate senior film so it can offer kids who blossomed in their final high school season, look for several spots to be held open for late December/early January commits.

Before the spring game, Ross Els described the more rigorous method NU would use to smoke out potential target. The spring game, I suspect, was moved up to strategically take advantage of the full recruiting period. NU hit the ground running and picked up several commits from players they, in the long run, just plain out-scouted opponents to get.

But the Huskers planned on gaining momentum in June, did gain it, and have Darlington – a bright, smooth talker – on board to help put together the class from here And count on Darlington – the highest-profile quarterback in the state of Florida – doing just that.

This whole article is WELL WORTH THE READ....one of Sam's best ever pieces...

http://sports.omaha.com/2013/06/17/...-patience-and-scouting-pays-off/#.Ub9Lir7n99B

Last edited:

Scouting and out recruiting opponents is what sets us apart from most schools....its no coincidence that a lot of big schools swoop in and offer under the radar kids once we have...because we have done the work for them...thankfully in most cases its too late...and we win the commit....

Last edited:
And this (from the same link) on Tony James, perhaps the top RB on our board this year and would more than likely be the only RB in this class...

Look for Darlington to work hard on making sure that visit takes place.

I was going to file this under "NU Has a recruiting plan in place and is sticking to it. It might not have been readily apparent to you, but they have had a strategy in place the entire time and it is paying off."

notice SM's emphasis on December...have a feeling the chicken-littles will emerge again around Oct/Nov when a few teams fill up and we haven't had many commits or a particularly good visit weekend during the first part of the season due to scheduling (11AM games). We may see the bulk of the remainder of our class commit in Dec/Jan. further, I think he ignored the high * kids we are fighting every degenerate on the street for that will commit much later in the process due to "options".

We may still have around only 11-13 commits come CCG time and this thread should be brought up around that time.

Pot scouting and out recruiting opponents is what sets us apart from most schools....its no coincidence that a lot of big schools swoop and offer under the radar kids once we have...because we have done the work for them...thankfully in most cases its too late...and we win the commit....

not sure, but 'pot scouting' might not be strictly legal...at least in Nebraska. :lol:

Yup and yet people who do not follow it grow concerned think we are behind etc. etc.....and yup its paying off....

People who don't understand something its always easier to fret, accuse and flat out say we suck instead of taking the time to read and understand there is a plan and yeah its working...we are not scrambling and we are half way to our goal of 20-21 commits this year....and like Sam and you said we should be in the 11-13 range come the start of the season....

I'm counting on you to bump this one...:) :) :)

I was going to file this under "NU Has a recruiting plan in place and is sticking to it. It might not have been readily apparent to you, but they have had a strategy in place the entire time and it is paying off."

notice SM's emphasis on December...have a feeling the chicken-littles will emerge again around Oct/Nov when a few teams fill up and we haven't had many commits or a particularly good visit weekend during the first part of the season due to scheduling (11AM games). We may see the bulk of the remainder of our class commit in Dec/Jan. further, I think he ignored the high * kids we are fighting every degenerate on the street for that will commit much later in the process due to "options".

We may still have around only 11-13 commits come CCG time and this thread should be brought up around that time.

Just had a phone conversation with a friend this morning and we were talking that if Hall sticks we will be around 13 or so commits to start the season. That leaves us with 7 or 8 verbals left til' signing day. I would have to believe we'd get a few during the season and leave some spots open for 3-5 guys after our season is over to get on board. Which would be a good number to maybe get a Nebraska kid or two on board, and a few under the radar kids who burst on the scene as high school seniors.

This weekend put us in a very good spot...

I've read that he is no better than 4th on the CB list for Texas....thus at best he gets a late committable offer as the more I read and hear this its non-committable right now...and it still sounds like his folks want him at Nebraska...his dad has been consistent about that...

My gut tells me he ends up a Husker and if we can get him up here for a visit I think we can seal it.....

Yes this weekend is huge....kids notice that...and the fact we are almost half-full makes kids realize they better get onboard...and yeah we will hold a slot for the likes of Peyton Newell.....then again his decision is so early it doesn't make it so we have too....but you get my point....

I think Phillips may get his offer in the end...although I read today if Stanford offers he is gone...and I could respect that in so many ways...seems like a great young man and with what his family ahs been thought this past year a chance to go to an academic school of that stature would be hard to turn down....

Just had a phone conversation with a friend this morning and we were talking that if Hall sticks we will be around 13 or so commits to start the season. That leaves us with 7 or 8 verbals left til' signing day. I would have to believe we'd get a few during the season and leave some spots open for 3-5 guys after our season is over to get on board. Which would be a good number to maybe get a Nebraska kid or two on board, and a few under the radar kids who burst on the scene as high school seniors.

This weekend put us in a very good spot...

Last edited:
Good stuff....bottom line is this staff can flat out recruit...no if's, but's or and's....

He also seems to think Hall may stick with his Husker commit...

Nebraska had always intended on using the April-May evaluation period to discover prospects, scout them hard, and get them here in the summer.

Nebraska has always intended on finding and offering prospects – under-the-radar or off-the-radar guys – in the spring period, stuck to that plan, and got their foot in the door as a result. And since NU has stated, more than once, that it plans from here to evaluate senior film so it can offer kids who blossomed in their final high school season, look for several spots to be held open for late December/early January commits.

Before the spring game, Ross Els described the more rigorous method NU would use to smoke out potential target. The spring game, I suspect, was moved up to strategically take advantage of the full recruiting period. NU hit the ground running and picked up several commits from players they, in the long run, just plain out-scouted opponents to get.

But the Huskers planned on gaining momentum in June, did gain it, and have Darlington – a bright, smooth talker – on board to help put together the class from here And count on Darlington – the highest-profile quarterback in the state of Florida – doing just that.

This whole article is WELL WORTH THE READ....one of Sam's best ever pieces...

http://sports.omaha.com/2013/06/17/...-patience-and-scouting-pays-off/#.Ub9Lir7n99B

Thanks RR for the link. Great article with a ton of insight. Makes you appreciate the evaluation process.

I continue to be intrigued with the Bubba updates, however I've read he "owes" the Royals 4 years or he forfeits serious bonus money.

Anyone able to confirm that?

That is usually correct...if he was given (for example) a five year contract and a $5M bonus...probably has to pay back a $1M a year for those years he does not play if he leaves....that is why you will notice most high draft picks like Brandon Weeden at Okie State don't play college football until they are 23 or 24 so they don't get stuck with that....my opinion unless they release him you won't see him for awhile....I had friends I played 'ball with in college who went pro....and that is usually how it works....

Oh and you are welcome...:)

Yeah our coaches have a system and hopefully the fan base will have better understanding of it after this article....

Heck I might just sticky this one because of that...:)

Thanks RR for the link. Great article with a ton of insight. Makes you appreciate the evaluation process.

I continue to be intrigued with the Bubba updates, however I've read he "owes" the Royals 4 years or he forfeits serious bonus money.

Anyone able to confirm that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back