• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB NU @ Penn State 12:05 thread

NU outplayed PSU today. That is what I meant. Yes both teams are not good.

I'm really not trying to argue...but how did NU outplay PSU?

NU shot better (one guy did) but PSU creamed NU on the offensive glass (hustle). All PSU has to do is hit a few free throws and they win.

It took a career game from a frosh and a once a season performance from the line to pull out a win.

I'm not trying to bag on NU. They are what they are and it's too bad that there isn't more substance on the roster. But NU was fortunate they played PSU today.

I would've bet my life savings that this team would never go 16-16 from the FT line.

Shields came into the game, 11 for 19 on the year. He was a perfect 8-8 in this game. Whodathunkit? Of course, it was all part of his special day. 29 points. Just missed the 30 mark.

Anybody know who the last Husker was to hit 30? I know Standhardinger got 27 awhile back and Talley had 27 earlier this year.

Last edited:

If our guy threw a flagrant elbow then why was he not thrown out of the game?

There are two levels. Flagrant 1 and flagrant 2. As I understand it the "2"...where you get tossed...is intentional. The "1", again as I understand it, is basically ANY elbow that connects above the shoulders...intentional or not. It's a dumb rule. But if those refs don't call it they are going to probably be reprimanded for it...I bet if you ask them off the record they would have prefered to not to make that call.

Shields came into the game, 11 for 19 on the year. He was a perfect 8-8 in this game. Whodathunkit? Of course, it was all part of his special day. 29 points. Just missed the 30 mark.

Anybody know who the last Husker was to hit 30? I know Standhardinger got 27 awhile back and Talley had 27 earlier this year.

Pike? :Biggrin:

2/13/08 Aleks Maric 32 pts. v. Missouri
11/26/07 Aleks Maric 30 pts. v. IPFW
2/28/07 Aleks Maric 32 pts. v. Iowa St.
2/24/07 Aleks Maric 31 pts. v. Missouri
2/13/07 Aleks Maric 41 pts. v. Kansas St.

These are the last 5 that I can find.

2/13/08 Aleks Maric 32 pts. v. Missouri
11/26/07 Aleks Maric 30 pts. v. IPFW
2/28/07 Aleks Maric 32 pts. v. Iowa St.
2/24/07 Aleks Maric 31 pts. v. Missouri
2/13/07 Aleks Maric 41 pts. v. Kansas St.

These are the last 5 that I can find.

Excellent. Nice job.

You know, I was thinking of Maric. I just wasn't sure that it went so far back. I guess 2007 and 2008 aren't really that long ago especially given our lack of offensive firepower during that stretch.

Thanks again for the research.

There are two levels. Flagrant 1 and flagrant 2. As I understand it the "2"...where you get tossed...is intentional. The "1", again as I understand it, is basically ANY elbow that connects above the shoulders...intentional or not. It's a dumb rule. But if those refs don't call it they are going to probably be reprimanded for it...I bet if you ask them off the record they would have prefered to not to make that call.

Your explanation is pretty spot on.

Well, good news for a change. I am not surprised we beat Penn State, almost anyone should be able to beat them. I am surprised that the Huskers won this, holding on at the end. It is easy to blow games like these on the road, glad we didn't.

Shavon Shields becomes the sixth NU player to have a 20 point game this year. Somewhat bizarre stat given the over all offensive struggles of this team.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back