• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #5, (L, 70-52), Tue, 11/20 vs Texas Tech (#20) (4-0), @ KC Sprint Ctr, 8:30pm CT, ESPN2

My narrative - Nebraska was playing a beautiful game which Tech couldn't keep up in. Then there were three charging calls - two on Palmer and one called against Borchardt for blocking - which were not consistent and that stymied Nebraska. They never looked the same again. I hope they look good again this season - this is a Tech team that has some good players but isn't as talented.

Didn't see Heiman or Thor, so UNL only played 7 I think (Borchardt and Akenten off the bench). That's going to be tough too.

The big show guy is really tearing Nebraska apart
don't blame him

From the way he was talking he's blaming miles

5 shots from roby in 37 min....in a game where palmer is in foul trouble and Watson is 2-11. Does miles ever enter a time.out and say "we are running a play to get THIS GUY a shot"?

6 assists 14 turnovers.

This team has serious, legit potential...maybe this game will be an aberration...

Last edited:
I don't mind losing a game like this but the way we lost is very concerning. We didn't look like a veteran team at all. Little composure and on offense, we act like a team with two scorers instead of one with five. With so many go-to guys, we let the Tech defense off the hook by mostly just looking for a couple. Palmer is so inconsistent.

Kind of a disappointing effort.

And Miles always seems to add gas to the fire with his mouth. I understand sticking up for your team and sending a message but most of the time he gets teed up, it is when its seems to rub salt in the wounds.

Huskers can only put this game in the rear-view mirror and look ahead.

uuugggghhhh... no urgency or desire,... a sad effort. Not a lot of fight, backed down when challenged, hope that isn't their MO, otherwise this is gonna be a sad season.

It’s one thing to play the underdog role and get all hyped up for a particular game. The Huskers have done that in the past with some success. It’s quite another to be in the role of the one seen as the explosive team, and having a good team wanting to punch you in the face and see how you deal with it.

I think we saw that 2 wins against truly awful teams, another against an extremely young team without many shooters, and win number 4 against a very so so program, does not mean we have all the bugs worked out.

I feel a game break down coming tomorrow after I rewatch this poor performance.

I don't mind losing a game like this but the way we lost is very concerning. We didn't look like a veteran team at all. Little composure and on offense, we act like a team with two scorers instead of one with five. With so many go-to guys, we let the Tech defense off the hook by mostly just looking for a couple. Palmer is so inconsistent.

Kind of a disappointing effort.

And Miles always seems to add gas to the fire with his mouth. I understand sticking up for your team and sending a message but most of the time he gets teed up, it is when its seems to rub salt in the wounds.

Huskers can only put this game in the rear-view mirror and look ahead.
I haven't seen the game yet but sounds as if a T might have actually helped earlier in the game. Something to get the kids out of a funk. Same thing with Roby - how does he get him going so he's working to create opportunities instead of fouls and turnovers. Maybe he needs a fire lit under him.

After dropping my son off last night, I had to go to the store, so I was listening to the beginning of the game on the radio in the car. When I came in the house, I was so pumped to catch up and see the first part of the game because Nebraska was up 9 and appeared to be playing with a lot of energy. Then I was extremely ticked off to see that I had an awful, awful OT game between who the heck even cares!! Ugh!!!!

By the time I got caught up and the OT game was over, I got to see Nebraska go down by 1. Unbelievable! Since I was so frustrated, I watched the game with the sound off. I heard about 3 seconds of Sundvold and decided he might just make my mood worse. The play by Nebraska didn't really help with the whole mood thing.

Here's a thought...I was curious how the team was going to respond in the game because I heard Miles in the pregame interview talking about how the players were looking at this as a statement game. I get the sentiment. Beating a team like Texas Tech to win an in-season tournament is good for a resume, but focusing on the NCAA selection process before Thanksgiving had the potential to have the team not focused on what was in front of them. To be clear, I have no idea how much the team was truly talking about this or focused on it...it's just a thought that I had at the time. Yet, when I heard the call on the radio as the team jumped out to a 9 point lead, those thoughts disappeared. And those thought crept back in while watching the game without sound.

Again, I have no idea if the team talking about that was an issue. All I do know is what I saw: that eight man rotation didn't respond as well as I thought it would have once Tech got back in the game and took the lead. I didn't get to see Palmer's two offensive fouls, but if he's on the bench, the other three of the big four are capable of getting things done...yet, they weren't last night. Why? Roby appeared to not have any confidence in his game at all last night. If he is on the floor without confidence in his game in a situation where another one of the big four is on the bench, this team will be no better than a middle of the pack, if that, in the B1G. I'm not putting this all on Roby as Watson had an off night and looked a little out sync last night as well. It was just that Roby's lack of confidence screamed out with the sound off last night. In this tournament, Copeland was the glue and was solid.

This team still needs to get more looks closer to the basket...and I don't mean put the head down and go to the basket variety. And when they get those looks closer to the basket, those need to be finished as well.

I'm still excited about the potential of this team. I'm looking forward to them being focused on Western Illinois on Saturday and moving to 5-1.

Official Box Score: (The Problem is Apparent - There were only 6,521 fans There :Bananalazy:)

upload_2018-11-21_11-29-13.png

upload_2018-11-21_11-30-31.png

I just watched the 2nd half. Tech plays very good defense. Other than Copeland, no one was was hitting their shots. Culver had one of those nights where everything he threw up went in. At least 9 of his points were shots that under normal circumstances would not have gone in.

NU was frustrated because of the cold shooting night and Techs defense so they started pressing.

The first four games were too easy. If they learn from this and not let them get them down it will help them. There is a lot of talent. They just need to believe. Miles should let Frost, the Navy Seal, and “Git ‘er done” talk to them to get them to work for each other, take your game to the next level, and to have some fun.

I just watched the 2nd half. Tech plays very good defense. Other than Copeland, no one was was hitting their shots. Culver had one of those nights where everything he threw up went in. At least 9 of his points were shots that under normal circumstances would not have gone in.

NU was frustrated because of the cold shooting night and Techs defense so they started pressing.

The first four games were too easy. If they learn from this and not let them get them down it will help them. There is a lot of talent. They just need to believe. Miles should let Frost, the Navy Seal, and “Git ‘er done” talk to them to get them to work for each other, take your game to the next level, and to have some fun.
The season isn’t over just from one loss, and both the players and coaches can learn and grow from this kind of game. The point I hope they learn is you need to do what you do best in those type of games. If shots aren’t falling easily, then take the easier shot. 3 pointers aren’t the answer if you are heaving and hoping the clankfest ends with your next prayer you jack up on a fade-away. Copeland is the one guy I see stepping closer and hitting his midrange jumper when he’s looking for better rhythm. Miles needs to muzzle his 3 point fetish when his offense isn’t giving guys good catch and shoot opportunities.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back