• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #2, (L, 66-69), Thu, 11/26 vs Nevada @ PBA, (Game Thread, Recap & Box Score)

I would like to see other options as well. I think he'd need to have more height and more wing span to get of a jump hook. He gets stuffed so often seemingly without ever getting fouled. It's difficult not to cringe when he gets the ball. Fred is a numbers guy. I am certain he will see how the offense runs or doesn't with him on the floor. Perhaps we'll see Eduardo.
The best parts about a jump hook are you can get it off quick before shot blockers can get set, and you use your body to naturally shield the shot from the defenders. It’s why so many guards use it in a post up opportunity. But to your point, Yvan has to contribute more at both ends to keep getting minutes. He has to run the floor hard every time, and his picks need to really clear space. He’s rolling too soon.

Nevada has shown everyone how to beat us. We're going to face the same strategy all year. Better get used to it. We will see a few more wins than last year. But this isn't going to be much of season to remember. Maybe it isn't a bad thing. Who knows how much of the season is going to played. This is not a year to have a championship team. I'm looking forward to next year already. Hopefully few COVID related problems and a full season with fans and a full complement of players will equal something special.
- good point on the adjustment to limit Cambridge. Credit Doc. He is an amazing asset for us.
Hoiberg's squad will need to learn how to attack a team with Nevada's length (7 footer, 6-10 and 6-9) - which we will see a lot in the B1G. Love the athleticism on this team. We'll have a better season than last year - provided COVID doesn't further screw it up.

I wonder if we may be underestimating Nevada's defense - it seems like they were able to block a lot of shots I didn't think they could against us. Poor shooting, missed lay-ups or dunks (at least 4 in the first half), and not making critical FTs, combined sank us. Better performance in any one of the three and we win, handily. Their offense was 'on;' ours wasn't.

I expect to enjoy watching the team play and develop this season even if it may be shortened due to covid. Although this may be a throw-away year, and no fans are allowed in the arena, thankfully we'll be able to watch most of the games on B1G. This is a lot more fun than last season! ;)

EDIT: The analysis above is a little too simplistic :Redface:, that is, states the obvious; i.e. if we shoot better we win the game. While that is true, Nevada is, after all, a Steve Alford team, strategized to maximize his strengths and our weaknesses.

Both @LarstheRed & @Sandhills Husker point out we weren't very good at making game adjustments when our shots weren't falling and the game plan wasn't working.

On nights we are on fire from 3, we can play like we did today and win. When we aren’t hot, some pretty simple adjustments will still allow us to win our share of games.
Nevada in foul trouble and the refs calling it if you looked at a guy. So we don’t drive the ball and just heave 3s
:Salute::Salute:

Last edited:

Post-Game Press Conference with a rather unhappy Coach Hoiberg after the Nevada Loss (8:59)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back