• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MBB Game #14, (L, 79-87 OT), Sun, 1/2 vs OHIO STATE, @ PBA, 7 PM CT, BTN-TV (Game Thread/Recap)

In the clutch is where we see NU falter and the good teams, with good shooters, shine! NU doesn't have that clutch player that can hit that needed 3 at crucial times.

This was a better game for sure, still plenty sloppy at times, still lacking basics.. and at times it matters most. In OT Lat got the rebound and instead of jamming that thing home, he tried a put back. of course it was blocked.

That is where he needed to get the foul by jamming that thing home, not being weak. Mentally weak team.

Last edited:

Mayen 0-2 , going to kill us.

Mayen was getting a little out of sorts when he gathered the loose ball shortly prior to these free throws. Playing intensely; but, was swinging a few elbows as he controlled that ball. I had the thought at that moment (and based on his actions in prior games) that it would be good to sub him out and get someone in with a clearer head (for lack of a better description). Even Verge would have been good for bringing the ball up and making something happen in the final stages of the tie game.

Sure enough, Lat misses two free throws down the stretch and his body language at the line showed a lack of confidence to make either of them. We still had a chance to win the game, but it was basically over early in OT.

Still. the team showed improvement in team play and effort against a very good Ohio State team. Better rebounding, better floor leadership down the stretch from Webster.

Mayen was getting a little out of sorts when he gathered the loose ball shortly prior to these free throws. Playing intensely; but, was swinging a few elbows as he controlled that ball. I had the thought at that moment (and based on his actions in prior games) that it would be good to sub him out and get someone in with a clearer head (for lack of a better description). Even Verge would have been good for bringing the ball up and making something happen in the final stages of the tie game.

Sure enough, Lat misses two free throws down the stretch and his body language at the line showed a lack of confidence to make either of them. We still had a chance to win the game, but it was basically over early in OT.

Still. the team showed improvement in team play and effort against a very good Ohio State team. Better rebounding, better floor leadership down the stretch from Webster.
Sorry I don’t understand why Hoiberg and the basketball team get a pass. This is year 3 and they should be better than this.

Sorry I don’t understand why Hoiberg and the basketball team get a pass. This is year 3 and they should be better than this.

You think they 'should' be a good enough to beat a top 15 team every time out in year 3?

Accepting this kind of loss as somehow giving Hoiberg a pass is not what I did there. If the team can consistently play like they did 'most' of the game last night, they'll have a chance to win some games this season.

I'm on record in past posts that this team has fundamental issues - streaky shooting, lack of rebounding, driving into double teams and not finding the open man. Maybe some of that got cleaned up over the break, maybe not...we shall see.

Last edited:
Probably just me but it seems Hoiberg has no sense of urgency and looks as if he is here to collect his paychecks. Reminds me of Mike Riley! He knows there are zero expectations for men's hoops here.

Probably just me but it seems Hoiberg has no sense of urgency and looks as if he is here to collect his paychecks. Reminds me of Mike Riley! He knows there are zero expectations for men's hoops here.
idk some people wear their emotions on there sleeve, others keep them under vest. I dont think anyone can make that determination, he may be the most frustrated man in nebraska on the inside. Who knows

idk some people wear their emotions on there sleeve, others keep them under vest. I dont think anyone can make that determination, he may be the most frustrated man in nebraska on the inside. Who knows
When you have a pacemaker, I think you learn to be calmer. Fred gets pretty salty about calls, but he generally follows the "don't get too high, don't get too low" philosophy. He wants to win, and expects to win. Whether or not that will happen, I don't think it will be decided by his outward demeanor.

Not being calm is what I mentioned about Mayen in my earlier post. You could tell his intensity was getting out of control down the stretch. My opinion is that his lack of emotional control is what led to two missed free throws.

You don't want your head coach acting that same way.

Not being calm is what I mentioned about Mayen in my earlier post. You could tell his intensity was getting out of control down the stretch. My opinion is that his lack of emotional control is what led to two missed free throws.

You don't want your head coach acting that same way.
Mayen acts like someone who was bullied as a kid, and I'm not sure he has learned how to focus that anger into productive game energy. I think he's getting pushed around on the floor and lashing out -- happened in the earlier NC State game where several players got kicked out. I think he can use that energy in a healthy way to help the team... just has to learn how to do it.

Just like the damn football team. Play good enough to win, but loose because you lack basic fundamentals.

Aggravating
Exactly. Play a very good team close, and then find a way to lose it at the end. Fred has been learning from Scott how it is done!!

He has been every bit the failure that Frost has been, but because Nebraska has never really been good at basketball no one seems to get upset
The diehard Husker hoops fans are pretty upset. I think Fred gets more of a pass from the casual fan. Attendance has dropped off (although some of that is Covid related), and I know many long time loyalists who have had it with the culture of the program and are opting out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back