• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Maybe We're Worse Than We Thought

I never understood the optimism around this season to start with. The defense is very inexperienced up front and I thought every B1G team would run at will all over us because of that. I think I am right about that. I did think the offense would be much better though, which was the one thing that I thought might keep us in some games. It hasn't been close to functional. For all the talk about RB recruits, WR recruits, even QB position-those have all shown very little this year. That's our offense. Zero production and apparently zero understanding of the offense by the players playing in it.
I guess I’ll start to buy into great recruits when I see the Huskers win some recruiting battles that count against OSU, Al. And clemson

back to the OP, we're probably not better or worse than we thought. Inconsistent is frustrating, yet somehow better than being consistently bad.
This team is not good and the ineptitude of the offense is baffling. O-line and QB is like chicken and the egg. I can't tell who is making who look bad. There is talent on this team, but it is young. I do think you have to question the coaching and scheme.

QBs- can't make good decisions and get the ball to receivers.
RBs- we have those? I do think the room is talented, but they have no room to run.
WRs- flashes with the young guys, but QBs can't make the reads or get them the ball on time.
OL- ugh. Can't impose their will on anyone.
TE- pretty solid.

DL- not great, but I actually like our D-line. Young, but scrappy.
LB- inconsistent at best.
DB- talented but seems like they are playing prevent most of the game and when actually in tight coverage, can't seem to win many one on one battles.

ST- It amazes me that our punt return team, year over year, and spanning coaching staffs, can't figure out how to slow down the punt team to allow anything more than a fair catch.

I guess I’ll start to buy into great recruits when I see the Huskers win some recruiting battles that count against OSU, Al. And clemson
For me it has nothing to do with winning recruiting battles against the likes of OSU. You will lose 99 out of a 100 of those battles. What we have to do is develop the players we do recruit, whether they are walk-ons or 4* players. We have failed miserably here and it is our biggest weakness and it is why we have blown for many years.

Last week I asked whether maybe we are better than we thought. This week I'm asking the opposite question. I will freely admit that I was wrong -- I had a lot of confidence this week and didn't see this result coming at all. Today we were totally undisciplined and unprepared to play. I certainly didn't think we would still be dealing with those issues in Frost's third year.
Illinois isn’t as bad as people’s perceptions. Saturday was the first game they actually had their team together due to Covid casualties in earlier games. That loss won’t look quite as bad as some assume it is.

That said, I see the same problems plaguing Luke as we saw with Adrian. Suddenly the decisiveness was missing and the accuracy was inconsistent. There was nearly zero passing threat beyond the dump passes. I view this as a coaching problem, if talented QBs are being put into a system too demanding to operate. Maybe Luke will show more growth and quicker than Adrian did, but it starts to look like Adrian isn’t the problem at all. Or maybe the Huskers are just cursed.

For maximum chaos, I expect a decisive win over Iowa where Nebraska looks Top 25 caliber, then back to mediocrity the week after.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back