• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Maybe it is best for Mickey to move on? (pre-arrest thread)

Why he is just a WR coach...after 30 years in the game.
I'm not sure guiding a team to our w/l record, regardless of the circumstances that existed, is a very good resume for a HC job at very many places. He just may not have many decent offers out there. That's for him to judge of course, but there are not a lot of leaks about him and any vacancies.

My guess is he will see that the best place for him to be for at least a couple more years is at NU. Hard to see what role he'll play but they'll figure something out, maybe with a created title.

Why he is just a WR coach...after 30 years in the game.
I'm not sure guiding a team to our w/l record, regardless of the circumstances that existed, is a very good resume for a HC job at very many places. He just may not have many decent offers out there. That's for him to judge of course, but there are not a lot of leaks about him and any vacancies.

My guess is he will see that the best place for him to be for at least a couple more years is at NU. Hard to see what role he'll play but they'll figure something out, maybe with a created title.

I realize it's sentimental having MJ stay around. We want there to be some thread to the past. But I think it's best for Matt not to be talked into taking any current assistants. There is no one affiliated with this program within the last 25 years that should be considered because they "know the Nebraska way."

No, can't blame him at all, he needs to do what is best for him and his family. And Rhule needs to do what is best for Nebraska. If Joseph isn't completely committed to staying at least one more year, Rhule needs to tell him thanks but no thanks, we can't wait and we don't want you to have divided loyalties if in a few weeks you get offered the type of job you are aspiring to.

My guess is he is waiting to hear about other jobs. Rhule can't wait for him.

If Mickey has HC aspirations, he needs to be selling himself for those right now. His opportunity cost might be losing a position at NU. Take the risk and try to make the leap. I wish him the best no matter what he decides, but don't think his chances to be a head coach get better by immediately accepting a job as a position coach at NU.

If Mickey has HC aspirations, he needs to be selling himself for those right now. His opportunity cost might be losing a position at NU. Take the risk and try to make the leap. I wish him the best no matter what he decides, but don't think his chances to be a head coach get better by immediately accepting a job as a position coach at NU.
Not necessarily, stick around for a year or two, use Matt Rhule, his connections and his (hopefully) future success to leverage that into an OC position and/or lower level HC position. The Jackson State's of the world will always be there but IMO MJ needs to become an OC somewhere in P5 and then use that to get a P5 job.

In a world of raw performance governed by oodles of dollars retaining MJ would be a glaring anomaly.

Not necessarily, stick around for a year or two, use Matt Rhule, his connections and his (hopefully) future success to leverage that into an OC position and/or lower level HC position. The Jackson State's of the world will always be there but IMO MJ needs to become an OC somewhere in P5 and then use that to get a P5 job.
Ok I’m not ragging on him. I’m adding some perspective as if he is not an ex Nebraska player.
Mickey is almost 55 and been in coaching for 30 years. He hasn’t been sniffing positions above wide receivers. Is it possible that all the coaches and administrators who have had an opportunity to promote him from within or hire him from the outside to a higher level position have observed enough to know his talents and skills are best utilized in the trenches?

There are times to recognize it’s important to let someone excel in their skill set rather than promote them into incompetence. Is this Mickey? I don’t know.

Last edited:

Mickey is 55. If he wants to be a HC soon, he needs to strike while the iron is hot and he has positive publicity around him.

Stepping back and toiling away as a WR coach, hoping someone will pick him as an OC someday, then hoping that will lead to a future HC gig, is not his best and fastest path to the HC ranks.

I am happy to have this play out. Of course Mickey would have liked to be Nebraska HC, but has he said being a HC anywhere else is his top priority? A job at his alma mater as WR and Assistant/Associate Head Coach at a bump in pay may sound really good to him, and to Rhule, and not just for a year or two. I think that would help the transition for Rhule and the players.

I'm a huge Coach Joseph fan BUT we are all being selfish by wanting to keep him in Lincoln! I'm no different and I would love to see him stay but he has bigger things waiting for him elsewhere in my opinion. He's shown that he has what it takes to be "the" guy at this level so I have no doubt he'll be getting calls from schools wanting to interview him. I hope he lands a HC position and who knows, he might find his way back to Lincoln in a few years. I think we all want the best for coach Joseph but I don't think it's here in Lincoln. He did an awesome job and gave Husker Nation a reason to celebrate again. He's got too much talent to stay a coordinator. All the best coach Joseph! You were put in an impossible situation and handled it like a true champion! You will ALWAYS be a Husker!
He’s 56 years old if he’s going to be a head coach it has to happen soon. He more than likely has to start at a smaller school( Tulsa) and it’s going to take time 3-4 years he’ll be in his 60’s then. Not many schools hire ( Nebraska with Riley) a 60 year old to rebuild a program.
Mickey has earned a big payday from a Power 5 school he can both coach and recruit. Hopefully he’ll stay at Nebraska and get the BIG assistant salary and be set for life. Just my opinion.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back