• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Matt Rhule - How he does it.

It was actually year two at both Temple and Baylor when the magic began -- and then it exploded in season three.

After 2-10 at Temple in Rhule's first season, he guided them to a 6-6 record in season two. That's significant progress.

After 1-11 at Baylor in season one (a garbage heap inherited far greater than any program in the nation), 7-6 record in season two, including a bowl game win over Texas.

Much like what Fleck did at Minnesota when he fired his DC 3/4 of the way through his second season then went on to win three of the four final games, including hammering Wisconsin in Madison, Purdue, and Georgia Tech in a bowl game -- by a combined score of 112 to 35.

A really good coach is most times going to show significant progress between season one and season two.

I question the efficacy of Rhule and his 'program' at the NFL level, but there is no denying it works at the college level.

It's hard to say why the approach Frost used, which looks somewhat similar from the outside, fared so poorly in year two. hopefully we'll see some dramatic changes this fall.

I question the efficacy of Rhule and his 'program' at the NFL level, but there is no denying it works at the college level.

It's hard to say why the approach Frost used, which looks somewhat similar from the outside, fared so poorly in year two. hopefully we'll see some dramatic changes this fall.

Most times, what works in college doesn't translate to the NFL -- and vice-versa. So I feel the skepticism in warranted. But we'll see, as Carolina is obviously in rebuilding mode, and that's what Rhule does well. But yes, if he ends up back coaching a college team in a few years, that wouldn't shock me.

I think that we'd feel a lot differently about that if we had managed to hold on to win against Colorado, Indiana, and Purdue. Throw in a comeback win over Iowa and a "meaningless" bowl game victory, and suddenly Scott Frost looks like Coach of the Year material again. We weren't that far off. Sometimes you have to win a game you shouldn't to figure out how to avoid losing games you shouldn't. I think we're very close to that.

I think that we'd feel a lot differently about that if we had managed to hold on to win against Colorado, Indiana, and Purdue. Throw in a comeback win over Iowa and a "meaningless" bowl game victory, and suddenly Scott Frost looks like Coach of the Year material again. We weren't that far off. Sometimes you have to win a game you shouldn't to figure out how to avoid losing games you shouldn't. I think we're very close to that.

We are in agreement. It just looks like we’re light years away on occasion.

Heck winning 2 of those 4 would give people a completely different narrative on the situation. A 7-5 regular season record with the possibility of a win in the Craft Crappy Bowl would have done wonders for the team and the fans.

We are in agreement. It just looks like we’re light years away on occasion.

That's probably because we haven't seen the hideously ugly wins other teams have put up to get them into that better place. Let's be honest, Baylor and Temple may have gotten to 6-6 and 7-6, but several of their wins were likely about as awful looking as the 3 losses MABC mentioned. Of course they were wins, just as our games could have, and should have been, but it wasn't like they were creating art in year two. That's what continues to give me hope. We didn't look much different than some teams with 7 or 8 wins did, we just didn't close the deal. Hoping to win, as opposed to expecting to, likely cost us 3 wins. It's one reason I don't really fault Frost when he comments about things like 'winnable games'. I'm sure he looks at those particular games, looks at the rosters, and expects to win. It's kind of how he was taught if you look back over his coaching mentors.

Most times, what works in college doesn't translate to the NFL -- and vice-versa. So I feel the skepticism in warranted. But we'll see, as Carolina is obviously in rebuilding mode, and that's what Rhule does well. But yes, if he ends up back coaching a college team in a few years, that wouldn't shock me.
I’d take him in a heartbeat. I’d bet Baylor would have challenged again in the Big 12 had he not left for carolina.

defend the process.

big fan of the process.

ezgif-com-gif-maker-1.gif

Excellent film, excellent score. One of those movies that when I catch during, I'll watch to the end, EVERY time. Great film about managing the process. I'm not a baseball fan at all and I still get chills every time Hatty hits that home run. Unbelievably, that gif I posted did not exist, I was surprised. Took me a couple minutes but now it surely does exist.:cool:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back