• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Maryland & Rutgers, And Why It's Better To Be A Legend

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
I'm starting to warm to the addition of Maryland and Rutgers. It's still an odd pairing, though, adding two traditional eastern schools with the bread basket Big Ten. But while the Terps and Knights haven't accomplished much on the field lately, they bring some interesting history of their own.

---------------------
Maryland & Rutgers

Maryland started playing games in 1892 and had dominant seasons early on. They were a member of the Southern Conference - the parent conference of both the modern SEC and ACC. After a slump of losing through the 1930s and 1940s, Maryland gave a young buck named Paul Bryant his first head coaching gig. Kentucky got jealous and stole the "Bear" after a single season, but his success led to the Terrapins stealing coach Jim Tatum away from Oklahoma and brought about the most victorious run in school history.

While the Terps have been up and down during the years that followed, they have been anything but quiet in other sports. Their basketball success is well-documented and Maryland also boasts one of the best lacrosse teams in the nation. Furthermore, Maryland wrestling has been outstanding with UMD winning 24 ACC titles and being ranked in the Top 20 every single year except 2010.

A well-known piece of football lore, Rutgers played the very first football game against Princeton in 1869. And while the Scarlet Knights haven't had the dominance of some Big Ten teams, they are currently the in the Top 40 for all-time wins. Rutgers also boasts six bowl appearances in the last seven years. What's more -- they've won the last five bowls, which is the longest streak in the nation.

Like typical upper-east coast schools, Rutgers has a long history with rowing and water sports. Additionally, the school has several NCAA tournament appearances, both in March Madness and the NIT. Arguably, women's hoops is more successful than the men's squad. Like Maryland, the Knights also bring lacrosse to the table with 2 national titles.

---------------------
Why It's Better to Be a Legend

Many fans and media have cried foul with the Big Ten's latest expansion endeavor. They claim, and maybe rightfully so, that a bigger footprint means more games like Minnesota-Rutgers and fewer games like Nebraska-Ohio State. They worry about the league "losing their identity" as a midwestern league filled with farm towns and salt of the earth people who flock to their respective cathedrals on frigid Saturdays in the fall. They are fearful that extra teams will chip away at the very ideals of the Big Ten.

Which is why it's better to be a Legend.

The Legends division is expected to absorb Illinois. And for those seven teams, the Legends division remains a midwestern-first division. Actually, it's almost like a mini-conference unto itself. Heck, expand to 16 teams and you effectively have two conferences of 8. Dare I say a Big 8? With expansion unfolding to the east, Nebraska has a unique opportunity. We'll still get the annual farmaggedons against Iowa and Minnesota. We'll still venture to the arctic wastelands of Ann Arbor and East Lansing. And we'll still get the urban/rural mix of playing Northwestern -- and now Illinois, too.

Make no mistake, the Legends division is a farmland division. It's true to the Big Ten roots. And should the league expand to a 9-game schedule we will likely preserve our Penn State game plus 2 other Leaders. The Leaders division will certainly have an odd mix of Indiana farmland and Beltway Metro, but the Legends still feels like home.

Imagine this: Nebraska plays a perfect blend of agricultural football and gets to travel to Chicago, New York and Washington DC on a semi-regular basis. It's a win-win for the Huskers. A chance to stay true to our past, yet travel to veritable beehives of recruiting. And don't think that football alone will reap the benefits. The mid-Atlantic is a treasure trove of basketball talent and the Huskers will now be making multiple appearances every year. We already recruit nationally for the gridiron, but this arrangement opens up new opportunities for our hoops teams as well.

Give Delaney credit for staying proactive. Maryland and Rutgers may not be the highest-profile teams on the football field, but from what I can see they more than make up for it in terms of their footprint and access to the east coast markets. Yes, college sports follows the almighty dollar, but that was the case even before Nebraska left the Big 12. Delaney made a move that should fill the Big Ten coffers for years to come. Perhaps a move that will make him a Legend in sports history?

I agree that the two schools are good additions to the conference. Just speaking on football, Rutgers is currently 9-1 on the season. Regardless if they play in the Big East, 9-1 is hard to do. They are adding a solid program, not another Indiana. Maryland is a bit more shaky, because even their best days were short lived. Still, it opens up the conference to a new geographical location, giving schools better access to potential recruits.

I guess the only downside is that NU won't be directly impacted by the two additions, since they'll be in the opposite division.

Sure it would be great if the B1G could add ND and VT, but people are acting like the B1G just added Western Kentucky and Buffalo.

Good Post and I agree. Now that expansion has started again I think it might be nice to go to 16 teams and then have the ability to essentially have 2 8-team "mini-conferences". Most of our games would be played in the mid-west with a trip or 2 most years out east which should help with recruiting.

Even Kansas beat the Huskers once upon a time. (70 points, anyone?)

Every dog has his day and Maryland can't be terrible forever. Even just statistically, they're due for a 10 win season every now and again.

I actually like the move. It's bold and different. Something that will be needed in this time and age of college football. That said, so many people are spazzing about the media market of the east coast will be a non-factor for the B1G because of the poor east coast following of the Terps and Knights.. Well, here's my rebuttal. The BTN. Right now, because the east coast doesn't have any B1G schools, none or very little of their cable/tv companies carry the BTN. When they join, now the BTN is a lock for those tvs. Which means A) more coverage. Kids out east will be accustomed to watching the Huskers play Wisconsin and The Game (OSU/UM) and B) more money. More tvs carrying BTN, the more money the league makes. The more money for the rest of the schools.

Now, of course, that's all in theory. But it's the theory of the B1G conference and it's leaders.

Besides, I'd rather see teams flock TOO the B1G instead of FROM.

Even Kansas beat the Huskers once upon a time. (70 points, anyone?)

Every dog has his day and Maryland can't be terrible forever. Even just statistically, they're due for a 10 win season every now and again.

Only if they were still an ACC school.

Besides, I'd rather see teams flock TO the B1G instead of FROM.

I agree!

....to sorta quote a former Buff coach...."the worst day in the" B1G "is still better than the Best day as a" Buffalo! :Biggrin:

Last edited:

Only if they were still an ACC school.

Kansas did it and won the Orange bowl in the mighty B12. Maryland can absolutely do this especially with the Under Armour brand and support. Oregon was garbage and now is a powerhouse.

I think being in the Legends is not better. As mentioned in another post, Ohio State, wisconsin, etc will all be playing EVERY YEAR on the east coast. You go into the recruits house and that is a big selling point. We might get lucky to play @ MD or @ RUT once every 4-5 years even though they are in the Big Ten... I think that alone makes the Leaders the better division to be.

If Nebraska wins a few B1G Championships, recruiting in the east will be less of a probalem.

...Right now, because the east coast doesn't have any B1G schools, none or very little of their cable/tv companies carry the BTN. When they join, now the BTN is a lock for those tvs...More tvs carrying BTN, the more money the league makes. The more money for the rest of the schools.

Almost all of the cable companies in the DC/Baltimore region carry the BTN already. That's why we were so happy when Nebraska joined the Big 10. But if I remember correctly, the fee the cable cos have to pay BTN is multiples higher per subscriber if they fall within the BTN "footprint". Its the number of subscribers in these areas multiplied by the additional per household fee that should greatly increase the BTN's revenue. And that's before a new contract with ESPN is negotiated.

A major owner of the YES (Yankee Entertainment and Sports) network is also a 51% owner of the BTN. That owner being NewsCorp.

It sounds possible that the owner will package the YES network with the BTN to viewers in NYC and surrounding areas, which would undoubtedly be a HUGE boost for the BTN.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back