• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Maryland and Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Both programs have struggled of late and they did well to qualify for a bowl game. Rutgers did reasonably well but depth finally prevailed in the 4th quarter. Hopefully the money they make from the B10 can help get them back on their feet. Business models don't look short term for success. Right now the 10 isn't as strong as it needs to be but things change over time. Successful coaches retire and their replacements don't always succeed. Texas, Michigan,Miami, Nebraska and Tennessee's have all come and waned in time. The SEC will always be good because kids want to play close to home and right now they are hot. The pendulem will swing in time.

Last edited:
I thought Rutgers played a good game until they got run down. Looked good for a while.

I did too... they covered the number against a team far superior to them in talent level...

Also.. Maryland went up against a very under rated Marshall team... that was the same Marshall team that had Virginia Tech beaten in Blacksburg but had two costly missed FGs and smoked a very decent East Carolina team...

Maryland will continue to improve under Edsall

I really don't care how they did in their bowl games. It's impossible to get excited about playing or watching either one of these teams.

I really don't care how they did in their bowl games. It's impossible to get excited about playing or watching either one of these teams.

Yeah as players point of view...and many call it the meat grinder...lol

hated the move to the b1g and hatr it even more now

Yeah as players point of view...and many call it the meat grinder...lol

hated the move to the b1g and hatr it even more now

I liked it up until the expansion to 14 brought in 2 perpetually bland programs with zero tradition and forced Nebraska to the west (and away from the other 3 marquee programs).

Both programs have struggled of late and they did well to qualify for a bowl game. Rutgers did reasonably well but depth finally prevailed in the 4th quarter. Hopefully the money they make from the B10 can help get them back on their feet. Business models don't look short term for success. Right now the 10 isn't as strong as it needs to be but things change over time. Successful coaches retire and their replacements don't always succeed. Texas, Michigan,Miami, Nebraska and Tennessee's have all come and waned in time. The SEC will always be good because kids want to play close to home and right now they are hot. The pendulem will swing in time.

I oftentimes wonder if that swing will ever completely occur. I even very recently thought this was inevitable -- but I'm becoming less convinced. These are different times. You only have to look at how the population has shifted over the past few decades. South and West, especially.

The map shows the population growth, by state, 1970-2010.

• Light green = Population growth of 0.00-49.99%
  • Green = Population growth of 50.00-99.99%
  • Dark green = Population growth of 100.00-149.99%
  • Very dark green = Population growth of 150.00% or above

Uspopgrowth.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Uspopgrowth.png

Note that every single Big Ten state is in the lowest growth rate category. Sure, some high school kids will travel far from home to attend school, but most don't. And you do see the three states in the Deep South with lower growth rates -- but they are surrounded by Texas, Georgia, and Florida. While I do think the Big Ten can improve -- I don't know that it will ever again be the powerhouse conference that it once was.

I oftentimes wonder if that swing will ever completely occur. I even very recently thought this was inevitable -- but I'm becoming less convinced. These are different times. You only have to look at how the population has shifted over the past few decades. South and West, especially.

Uspopgrowth.png

Note that every single Big Ten state is in the lowest growth rate category. Sure, some high school kids will travel far from home to attend school, but most don't. And you do see the three states in the Deep South with lower growth rates -- but they are surrounded by Texas, Georgia, and Florida. While I do think the Big Ten can improve -- I don't know that it will ever again be the powerhouse conference that it once was.

I'll be shocked if the SEC is ever lower than the second best conference again in my lifetime barring a major scandal.

Uspopgrowth.png

People are sick and tired of cold weather. I'm in the professional recruiting business and these numbers directly reflect what we hear from potential candidates. This trend will continue.

However, I have never believed the notion that warm weather states have better athletes. I think there are just as many good athletes in the North. Just a matter of keeping them in the the North. Refer back to my first sentence.

The demographic trends are an overstated reason for SEC dominance. The same trends were apparent in the '90s and '00s, and Nebraska managed to be pretty competitive. TOSU and Michigan picked up titles as well. There is plenty of talent to go around. Texas alone produces an average of 170 FBS athletes every year. They can't all go to Texas.

It all comes down to coaching and QB play. The SEC got better when the coaching got better (eg, Saban, Miles, Spurrier). The elite teams had the benefit of quality QB play (eg, McCarron, Murray, Flynn). It's no real mystery as to why FSU has re-emerged - they finally found a QB in Winston. Ditto Texas A&M with Manziel. Ditto Auburn with Cam Newton. Ditto Texas with V. Young and McCoy.

Last edited:

I liked it up until the expansion to 14 brought in 2 perpetually bland programs with zero tradition and forced Nebraska to the west (and away from the other 3 marquee programs).

Moving to the Western division was the best thing that ever happened to Nebraska since joining the Big 10. You'll still get the marquee match-ups with the cross over games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back