• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Maryland and Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really is just a matter of numbers from when the Big Ten had ten teams: six Big Ten teams in the West (IA, MN, WI, NW, IL, Purdue) to only four Big Ten teams in the East (IN, MI, MSU, OSU). I also think Nebraska as an institution and a people fit in better with the western schools, particularly IA, MN and WI. I guess this is like a lot of occasions on this board when I am looking at a lot of non-football factors and the Nebraska folks on here just kind of focus on football as the end all, be all.

Only non-football factor is Hockey....

In the b1g, Minnesota rules and Neb drools

We couldn't possibly view this any more differently. I'm excited for the 4-team playoffs, but I'd just as soon ditch the CCG entirely. An indoor game in December is not appealing to me. I like my college football on fall Saturdays.

Without a CCG then a conference of 12-14 teams is merely a scheduling alliance and not a real conference.

From a football standpoint, I'd have rather stayed in the Big 12.

Agree 100%. The Big 10 is so incredibly boring to me...further watering it down with dregs like Rutgers and Maryland makes it even more boring considering NU will now be playing teams like Mich, OSU, etc. less often.

Without a CCG then a conference of 12-14 teams is merely a scheduling alliance and not a real conference.

Agreed. I was thinking more of an alternative universe where the Big Ten stays at 12 teams and instead of a CCG, everyone plays 13 games. You could play 2 non-cons and have a full round-robin. In general, I'm just not a fan of the CCG, at least not the way the Big Ten does it. I can't imagine a more dull, generic venue than Lucas Oil in Indy. If they moved the game to campus like the Pac 12, I could get on board.

Agreed. I was thinking more of an alternative universe where the Big Ten stays at 12 teams and instead of a CCG, everyone plays 13 games. You could play 2 non-cons and have a full round-robin. In general, I'm just not a fan of the CCG, at least not the way the Big Ten does it. I can't imagine a more dull, generic venue than Lucas Oil in Indy. If they moved the game to campus like the Pac 12, I could get on board.

not playing teams in your conference for 3 years at a time doesn't even feel like a conference at all.

not playing teams in your conference for 3 years at a time doesn't even feel like a conference at all.

Agreed. It's even worse than that though. By the time we play TOSU again (in 2016) it will have been 4 years between games. The next time we play Michigan is 5 years away.

Folks keep saying "we get to play the other teams plenty in the crossovers." It's just not true. We basically have a very loose scheduling alliance with the east teams.

I still think only division games should decide the division champion.

I'm not sure that's workable. In terms of the hunt for the "final four," every game is going to matter. In terms of the conference championship, counting only division games makes the 3 crossover games meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back