• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Martinez brothers serious about football, family---nice article on Drake Martinez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we see from Taylor exactly what we did on his HS film. And that's a good thing. Can only hope his brother produces like his bro.

Also, any chance he's an early enrollee? Would love to see 1) Drake pick off his brother in the spring game, 2) Drake blow up his bro, or 3) Taylor truck Drake like Crouch did to that poor Iowa CB

Nothing like a little brotherly love :)

Wouldn't happen unless Drake is an early enroller, and I would think he would have made a public decision by now if that were the case.

The kid is raw. The hardest transition for him will be learning technique, and not overly relying on his speed. In some of his film, he's caught out of position and gets away with it via his speed. While he is blazing fast, he will need Joseph's coaching and Dobson's weight room, as be won't be able to rely on his speed as much! Seems like a heckuva kid and a hard worker! I like it.

The kid is raw. The hardest transition for him will be learning technique, and not overly relying on his speed. In some of his film, he's caught out of position and gets away with it via his speed. While he is blazing fast, he will need Joseph's coaching and Dobson's weight room, as be won't be able to rely on his speed as much! Seems like a heckuva kid and a hard worker! I like it.

True, but I would take someone raw with speed over someone raw without speed :Biggrin:. He plays against some pretty decent talent, and does pretty well. Hes a tremendous athlete with a ton of upside. He could be a great linebaker if he bulks up, or could be a great safety if he has his brothers build.

so he can change direction at full speed?

Yea, he's pretty shifty. That's what I loved about his film. Only thing I questioned is how it would translate to D-1 as his competition looked questionable in the film. Terrible angles, horrible tackling, the athletes chasing him may have made him look that much better, but he looks to be as well as have the measures of a decent prospect.

I don't understand why he doesn't have more offers? The recruiting sites only have him as having offers from Nebraska and San Diego St. I understand it is believed he is a silent commit to Nebraska already, but why wouldn't other schools make a run at him. He appears to have the speed and size to play various positions and I don't understand the lack of offers. Can someone explain this?

Only thing I can guess is that he has already made his choice of where he wants to be and that will cause schools to not waste time. I'm hoping that is the case because speed like that is scarey, especially when it is combined with athleticism which this kid has. That's just my opinion on that. As I haven't been able to follow Drake's recruiting as much, actually asked about a month ago if any updates on him were out there.

If it is a case of over looking him by the local schools, you would think that they had learned their lesson with his brother. He turned out to be a great weapon here at NU.

True, but I would take someone raw with speed over someone raw without speed :Biggrin:. He plays against some pretty decent talent, and does pretty well. Hes a tremendous athlete with a ton of upside. He could be a great linebaker if he bulks up, or could be a great safety if he has his brothers build.

I agree completely, his speed is a huge asset. We just need to give him a little technique and a better football IQ to compliment his tremendous instincts and speed. He has a very good, raw foundation. Just need to coach him up a bit! Excited to see him be 'N

Can he return punts?

I would give him a look for sure. Plays RB with that speed, even if he ends up on defense he will still be a threat with the ball in his hands. Reminds me of someone on defense who is a threat for a pick-6 in the right scenario. Big fan of his physical skills/gifts and potential.

I'd love to have him. A lot of schools are looking at him. It's a case where his offer list probably isn't accurate on the recruiting sites because he keeps his cards close to his chest.

I think we see from Taylor exactly what we did on his HS film. And that's a good thing. Can only hope his brother produces like his bro.

Also, any chance he's an early enrollee? Would love to see 1) Drake pick off his brother in the spring game, 2) Drake blow up his bro, or 3) Taylor truck Drake like Crouch did to that poor Iowa CB

Nothing like a little brotherly love :)

I got the opportunity when I was a senior to light up my little brother (sophomore) on a punt return (he was the returner, I was covering). He still can't breath well through his nose..... ;o)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back