• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Made one very simple conclusion after 3 games

People need to probably accept that we don't run block the same way we used to. The linemen are asked to do different things. Sometimes the first step is SUPPOSED to be backwards or sideways.

Just lining up and firing off the ball isn't what we do for the most part. Do that on an RPO and you're likely to get ineligible receivers downfield.

Thank you.

Folks can accept it or not, but the bottom line is that we probably don't even know what the O-line is being asked to do on many plays. O-line in this offense is an entirely different animal than O-line "back in the day." Would a Brenden Stai or a Rob Zatechka succeed in the current offense? OF COURSE. Does this offense need a Stai or Zatechka to be top shelf? Maybe not. Have a look at the UCF O-line in 2017. Serviceable, but not dominant by any means. How well did they do the job that this offense requires? Well enough to go 13-0.

Does this line need to improve? Yes. Name a position on the team that doesn't.

Solve the oline problems we are a top 25 team
Don't solve them, we are a 6 and 6 team
90% of this team's problems start there

IMO, this conclusion is indeed very simple, to the point of being simplistic. 90% of our problems on the O-line? I disagree.

said this elsewhere, but people are using the OLine problems way too much as the root of the problem. Mills being more patient and looking for his holes made a big difference tonight. Martinez making better decisions made a big difference tonight.

OL played much better than a lot of people seem to think last night.
I've sort of been in this camp. But I re-watched the game and there were plays where our lineman missed assignments, busting the whole play. There was one where our right tackle ran straight ahead and just stood there, looking lost, while the DT AND DE just blew up the play.

We do need better Oline play. It's become more obvious to me.

said this elsewhere, but people are using the OLine problems way too much as the root of the problem. Mills being more patient and looking for his holes made a big difference tonight. Martinez making better decisions made a big difference tonight.

Yeah, N Ill blitzed a lot, and with multiple positions at the same time.

And to get the people around them to block better as well (TE, RB’s, etc)

Coaches need to take a serious look at some personnel changes as well.
The play call on the safety was not a smart call, for many reasons, but the glaring problem was Allen, the "weakest" blocking TE (IMO) was the one that needed to get the key block....he obviously failed miserably.

Last edited:
My biggest frustration with the OL play is not that they get beat or miss a block, it's football and those things happen. My frustration is the number of plays where a lineman flat out doesn't block anyone. If you miss your first block, you gotta find someone else to block instead of running to the backers and being a spectator.

Last edited:
Individual guys are missing assignments on some, if not most, plays. This is something we have seen for quite some time under multiple coaches. It doesnt take 5 guys to make a play look like an OL disaster, just 1.

As communication and repetition improve, so will the % of busts drop. Marginal improvement in this area and I think we’ll see a big difference, may take a few games. We have two really young guys in the middle. We need the older guys to lock down their crap tight and get these guys on the same page.

It's a lot of things. As mentioned above, we don't know what the O line assignments are... But when I see a tackle standing straight up in the middle of nowhere, while a defender loops around unimpeded to the QB, that's a problem. On both lines, we have guys who need to get their eyes up and see where the defenders are coming from (on offense) or where the ball is (on D).

That said, the O line is improving. It takes a while for 5 guys, 7 guys, 11 guys to get together and work as one unit -- especially considering where they started. Enough pieces are missing from last year's team that you can't just plug and play.

Take Dedrick for example. He had to "slow down to speed up". Take an extra half-second to see where the hole opens up. The interaction between the RB and O line is going to take a while at game speed, before everyone is on the same page.

It's kind of a chicken-or-egg thing among the first 3 posts. It's not all on the O line, but everything starts with the O line. Like the center snaps. Throw off the timing, and you spend the rest of the play trying to recover -- hopefully before an attacking D gets you for a loss.

I haven't given up hope for a B1G West championship, and last night gives me more hope. But it's also quite obvious that we have a long way to go to even get to the level of Solich's worst team. Think about that. We have a team full of guys who have a lot of potential, but none of them really know how to win consistently at this level. Fortunately, we have the right leadership to show them the way. It just might take a lot longer to get there than the internet generation (including me) expects.

Last edited:
Oh, and the TE not blocking anyone... That was the most frustrating thing about the missed assignments last night. But I think the TEs were asked to do some new things this week, while it was mostly more of the same for the interior line. We'll get there.

It's a lot of things. As mentioned above, we don't know what the O line assignments are... But when I see a tackle standing straight up in the middle of nowhere, while a defender loops around unimpeded to the QB, that's a problem. On both lines, we have guys who need to get their eyes up and see where the defenders are coming from (on offense) or where the ball is (on D).

That said, the O line is improving. It takes a while for 5 guys, 7 guys, 11 guys to get together and work as one unit -- especially considering where they started. Enough pieces are missing from last year's team that you can't just plug and play.

Take Dedrick for example. He had to "slow down to speed up". Take an extra half-second to see where the hole opens up. The interaction between the RB and O line is going to take a while at game speed, before everyone is on the same page.

It's kind of a chicken-or-egg thing among the first 3 posts. It's not all on the O line, but everything starts with the O line. Like the center snaps. Throw off the timing, and you spend the rest of the play trying to recover -- hopefully before an attacking D gets you for a loss.

I haven't given up hope for a B1G West championship, and last night gives me more hope. But it's also quite obvious that we have a long way to go to even get to the level of Solich's worst team. Think about that. We have a team full of guys who have a lot of potential, but none of them really know how to win consistently at this level. Fortunately, we have the right leadership to show them the way. It just might take a lot longer to get there than the internet generation (including me) expects.

Good post, I agree.

patience, they were better than last week. there were some actual holes sealed off, the threat was there. vedral looked like he knows how to run the offense, of course against and with alot of subs. d-line had me smiling

I'm in GIFRRO's camp. Way too many defenders penetrating the line way too often. When the 2nd team came in late and drove down to score, I told my wife, "That's what this offense is supposed to look like." If Vedral started would he look as good as he did engineering that last scoring drive? No, he'd be running for his life all night long like Martinez had to.
Right now, I think B1G defenses are salivating.

Red Corn is right too. The defense is starting to come into its own and may be pretty darn good by year's end.
3rd quarter offense was lethargic again--they've got to figure that out and get it fixed.

I was very happy to see Martinez with no turnovers. +1 turnover ratio = W + 1
My bet is IL defense will be drooling before the game is over next Saturday..

Playing NIU made a big difference.

C

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back