• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Lou Saban.....the God...then there's Bo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurbankHusker

Recruit
2 Year Member
Saban, as a head first yr coach in 1990 he went 9-2 at toledo, & was co mid america champs....surprise surprise he left for the nfl after one yr....
you can google this at wikipedia....

arrived at Mich St in 95, lost by double digits several times in first 3 seasons, records were 6-5, 6-6, 7-5......1998 went 6-6....

oh yeah, I had friends in Mich then they said he'd sell his first born for a buck....

1999 went 9-2 but had 2 routs at purdue & whisky....of course left for lsu....

at lsu in 2000, went 8-4, won peach bowl, but lost 13-10 to uab...

in 2001 he was 10-3 & sec champs....2002 8-5....2003 national champs.....

2004 went 8-5 & lost to Iowa in Capital One bowl....

2005 he left for nfl miami & we all know what a disaster that was.....

so it took him 11 yrs to win a major conference championship outright, & 13 yrs to win a natl championship.....

so give Bo a break, he's had 5 yrs as a head coach, as we can tell by the current nfl draft(no one in first 3 rounds), who the hell is gonna sign with a first yr head coach(most left like gabbert)...but his recruiting classes are getting better n better....he has personal values & standards that I respect, maybe you don't, but just saying, give him some time.....& he didn't walk into a Callahan winning machine....

if he doesn't work out......we're screwed....it'll take yrs to get readjusted...

Last edited:

well said, but Lou Saban, is Nick Sabans dad, and he was an NFL coach at one time, I remember when he coached the Buff Bills in the 70s, but dont know much more about him that that.

Im not here to hijack the thread, but I do agree with the main premise here, Lets get of Bos back a bit, give him some more room, and let him continue to refine this machine, hes doing fine.

well said, but Lou Saban, is Nick Sabans dad, and he was an NFL coach at one time, I remember when he coached the Buff Bills in the 70s, but dont know much more about him that that.

Im not here to hijack the thread, but I do agree with the main premise here, Lets get of Bos back a bit, give him some more room, and let him continue to refine this machine, hes doing fine.

thanks, they list him as nick lou saban......guess I got caught up in the stats & missed the main thing.....

I agree Bo's been coaching for five years with no previous head coaching experience. Look at Saban and Meyer there aren't too many former players lining up to visit either one. They are winning with an abundance of talent. As an SEC coach Saben looks at 30 to 35 freshmen each yearand he's an OUTSTANDING recruiter. He knows how to coach motivate and is able to find assistant coaches who produce and recruit or they leave. He's running the show at Alabamathere's no stress. His schedule last season opened with a poorly prepared Miochigan ended with an evenpoor prepared Notre Dame and in between he played a VERY average schedule.Western KY, A dreadful Arkansas, Florida Atlantic (NO Fla. Player could crack Alabama" two deep) next is Ole Miss new coach same effort, Missou, nothing needs to be said here,Tennesee doormat of the SEC, Miss ST. nothing to fear there,
LSU takes them deep into the fourth Quarter in spite of their Clue Less coach.Texas A&M in a new conference with a new coach takes the game to them all day long and beats them in all phases.
Georgia Bulldogs play them hard for 98% of the game and run out of time in the SEC Championship game.They get a break when Stanford , Oregon, and Kansas State all lose within two weeks or the'd be playing in the Capitol ONE Bowl game last season.
In 2012 Alabama again got luckey as Oklahoma State was upset by Iowa State opening the door to another Alabama National Championship apperance.
Three years ago Texas Longhorns pocket break downand McCoy throws the ball out of bounds and the clock reads 0 game over Huskers win the BigXII in Bo's second season.But the guys in the stripes decide to put a second on the clock and we all know what happens. Next year the Huskers are driving to tale at leaset a 20 point lead possibly a 24 popint lead. They are well prepared with a soph. QB and a great defense...well we all know what happend. NEBRASKA shoild have earned one of those BIGXII CHAMPIONSHIPS

Bo made a lot of mistakes over the first few years...EVERY coach does. He realizes redshirts at the expense of DERTH is not an option. This fan hopes he realizes his offense ,as great as it is is only as good as his back up QB. Armstrong or Kellog need to play at least half of the first six games when the contest is in doubt. They need to build confidence and the coaches and players need to have confidence in them.

I hope I'm not wrong but I believe Bo has remained confident in his coachimg abilities. I was especially pleased with the outstanding effort against Georgia. Most thought it would be ugly early but they were ready( took the lead with some gutty play) and externly well prepared.

One correction: Bama' s last four recruiting classes were 26, 23, 26, & 25, so this idea that he gets a new crop of 30 to 35 every season is ridiculous.

One correction: Bama' s last four recruiting classes were 26, 23, 26, & 25, so this idea that he gets a new crop of 30 to 35 every season is ridiculous.
AND ... what is the scholarship limit for football ... 85?

26 + 23 + 26 + 25 = ?

Not sure if that number equals 85 or not!

I agree BO is the best the Huskers can get and we all have to be patient.

And I also agree we should always compare other coaches and their mistakes to make us feel better about who the Huskers have on the sidelines. When we can rip others apart it not only shows the weaknesses the other teams have but points to the strengths the Huskers have.

I also agree that if we lost BO it would take years, oh hell no! It would take decades for the Huskers to once again be mentioned in the same breath as the great teams of this generation of football. It isnt like there are coaches of any quality lined up at the door to coach the flatlander's.

So as we bow to the alter of BO we have to thank the Gods of football that he is in fact on the Huskers sidelines. We have to remember the Huskers could not possibly do better than BO.

Bo coming to nebr was NOT a consolation prize, he is a very good coach, and even better man, and were lucky to have him here. He just isnt the warm fuzzy, quote a minute, media friendly kinda guy that say, bobby bowden was. If thats his biggest downfall, then we have it pretty good.

Google it........Nick and Lou are not father and son although there is speculation that they made be shirt tail relation

I agree BO is the best the Huskers can get and we all have to be patient.

And I also agree we should always compare other coaches and their mistakes to make us feel better about who the Huskers have on the sidelines. When we can rip others apart it not only shows the weaknesses the other teams have but points to the strengths the Huskers have.

I also agree that if we lost BO it would take years, oh hell no! It would take decades for the Huskers to once again be mentioned in the same breath as the great teams of this generation of football. It isnt like there are coaches of any quality lined up at the door to coach the flatlander's.

So as we bow to the alter of BO we have to thank the Gods of football that he is in fact on the Huskers sidelines. We have to remember the Huskers could not possibly do better than BO.

I am glad you got that off your shoulders. :wave::Biggrin:

Bo can win at a higher level if the players trust the schemes and keep improving in recruiting. Only good coaches win 9 or more games every season they are coaching. Heck, Bret at Wisconsin didn't win 9 games every season.

AND ... what is the scholarship limit for football ... 85?

26 + 23 + 26 + 25 = ?

Not sure if that number equals 85 or not!

Yeah, but it's still not 30 to 35 a year. Hell, every program can take 25 per year, as long as they have available scholarships.

Bo made a lot of mistakes over the first few years...EVERY coach does. He realizes redshirts at the expense of DERTH is not an option. This fan hopes he realizes his offense ,as great as it is is only as good as his back up QB. Armstrong or Kellog need to play at least half of the first six games when the contest is in doubt. They need to build confidence and the coaches and players need to have confidence in them.

I'm going to have to question this logic. Play your second or third best QB while the game could still be lost? Uh, maybe after you have a fairly safe three score lead, but to have them play half of the games when it's close, what sense does that make?

Guaranteed if Bo does that and the game remains close some fans would go on and on about how the team wasn't prepared to play. Do you remember the nonsense after the SDSU game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back