• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Losing to OU by 7 is better than beating OU

I like the time and effort you put in to your gif :thumbsup:

giphy.gif

Dude, you've lost it!

No, I can somewhat see your rationale, but I don't know if there's a way to know the answer to that scenario. I guess that's why we argue about it on message boards.

Every game should be a teaching moment. We should have learned that we can play with anyone -- and also that we can lose to anyone if we keep shooting ourselves in the foot. I'm just as concerned about overconfidence following yesterday's result as I'd be if we had won. I'd rather have the win.

But I think, short of a win, the outcome yesterday was about the best possible in terms of affirming that the team is getting to where it needs to be, and that they can win every game if they play their best. We couldn't have said that on Saturday morning.
I'm thinking several games in row where they actually play their best, and win would be the best scenario but that's just me spit balling here.........

Maybe I'm over-thinking it, but hear me out.

If we beat OU yesterday, we mentally go to a place where we think we can beat anyone and we lax up and play relaxed football the rest of the way, having shot our wad against the #3 team.

Now, losing a close game, our guys are mad as hell and begin to realize they have the ability and talent to hang with anyone, and a fire burns inside them to go out and prove it in the coming weeks.

Conclusion: from a mental standpoint, this loss may have been better for this team than a win, going forward. Much the same the loss to Florida State was in the 94 Orange Bowl (93 season).

I could be wrong, but I think I'm right.

GBR.
Cu1qYgTHsriuI.gif

Um, okay. Think you completely missed the point, but whatever. GBR

I don't think I did.

I took it from you as the close loss was encouraging and a rallying cry for the team to build off of. Like the '93 Huskers in their loss to FSU. That works well if you truly build off of it. But if you don't (i.e. lose to Michigan State next Saturday), you've lost whatever you may have gained for the OU game.

The difference with the '93 ('94 bowl) loss to FSU was that it was the end of the season and carried an attitude into the '94 season ("Unfinished Business"). But with the OU effort yesterday, it's not about next season when it's early in this season -- it's about this season.

Last edited:
I don't think I did.

I took it from you as the close loss was encouraging and a rallying cry for the team to build off of. Like the '93 Huskers in their loss to FSU. That works well if you truly build off of it. But if you don't (i.e. lose to Michigan State next Saturday), you've lost whatever you may have gained for the OU game.

The difference with the '93 ('94 bowl) loss to FSU was that it was the end of the season and carried an attitude into the '94 season. But with the OU effort yesterday, it's not about next season when it's early in this season -- it's about this season.
Not to mention we are nowhere near the caliber of the 93 and 94 teams. When you win 10, 11, 12 games every year, you can maybe make his argument. But when you are 14-22, every win is critical so you can actually have a winning season. SF is still 0-3 there. That must change.

I kinda know what you're saying.

Our program needs a unifying, marquee win. Saturday would have been it. But I suspect more wins are coming. More later.

A win vs Oh Ewe would have allowed an entire fan base and coaching staff exhale.

Not to mention we are nowhere near the caliber of the 93 and 94 teams. When you win 10, 11, 12 games every year, you can maybe make his argument. But when you are 14-22, every win is critical so you can actually have a winning season. SF is still 0-3 there. That must change.

I have no issues with any fan excited about our effort yesterday. It was entertaining and encouraging. I won't begin to debate that. I enjoyed it.

But we should also remember in 2018 (Frost's 1st year), we lost to #8 Ohio State by 5 in Columbus. We lead 21-16 at halftime. OSU finished that season ranked #3 in the nation. Martinez had a huge game -- 22 of 33 passing for 266 yards and a TD (no INTs) and another 72 yards rushing and 2 more TDs. Was that truly a turning point?

We'd all love to see the OU game yesterday as a building block to greater things ahead. But for many of us, we need to see it to believe it.

Last edited:

Maybe I'm over-thinking it, but hear me out.

If we beat OU yesterday, we mentally go to a place where we think we can beat anyone and we lax up and play relaxed football the rest of the way, having shot our wad against the #3 team.

Now, losing a close game, our guys are mad as hell and begin to realize they have the ability and talent to hang with anyone, and a fire burns inside them to go out and prove it in the coming weeks.

Conclusion: from a mental standpoint, this loss may have been better for this team than a win, going forward. Much the same the loss to Florida State was in the 94 Orange Bowl (93 season).

I could be wrong, but I think I'm right.

GBR.
We have had so few wins, I will take the W and try to create some momentum and confidence in the locker room.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back