• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Looks like the EV craze is cooling off

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
Despite many $ billions of gubmit cash infusion and promotion, the reality of owning and operating an EV is beginning to settle in.

I'm not surprised.

We may be headed that direction eventually, but the huge government and media push didn't align with demand and infrastructure for charging, maintenance, etc. Revisit the idea in another 50 years and it'll likely be flipped. Likely.

I'm not surprised.

We may be headed that direction eventually, but the huge government and media push didn't align with demand and infrastructure for charging, maintenance, etc. Revisit the idea in another 50 years and it'll likely be flipped. Likely.

Infrastructure will also need security.

Charging stations will get vandalized to steal copper

Infrastructure will also need security.

Charging stations will get vandalized to steal copper

I don't think a lot of folks who've been banging the EV drum get all he pieces that are currently missing. A former co worker got one and found out the service to his house had to be upgraded to accommodate. He got tax credits that basically paid for the charging station, but not the upgraded service and panel work that was required. That was almost $5k. He owned the thing for two months and hit a bollard in a parking garage. Air bag went off and it was in the shop for months waiting for parts. Like six months. He really liked some of rentals he had through the insurance company, though they stopped paying for them after 90 days. When the repairs on the Tesla were complete he traded it in on a Subaru.

At least he has an EV Charging station at his house for when it becomes mandatory.

Have a friend who drove his Tesla from Amarillo to Lubbock (120 miles) on a very cold day a few weeks ago. Batteries don't like cold. No problem, just re-charge in Lubbock, right? Not so fast. Had to get in line at a charge station and ended up renting a hotel that night to wait for it all. His Tesla is now on FB Marketplace.

Wonder if this might be playing a part in it cooling off. HOLY CRAP

Yeah, battery prices will come down they said, tech will get better they said.

60,000 Canadian is basically 45,000 US

Last edited:
Dirty secret:

One of the big selling points of EVs was that the batteries could be recycled. Technically that is true, but the cost to do so doesn’t make it worth while - by a long shot.

So…these highly toxic batteries are being buried at your local dump.

There are not enough charging stations for non Telsa EVs and the cold weather stories make it not a good idea in those states. Glad I opted out from the Ford Lightening pickup and went with the Ioniq5 at half the price. Do 90 percent of my charging at home and the solar makes it pretty cheap.

There are not enough charging stations for non Telsa EVs and the cold weather stories make it not a good idea in those states. Glad I opted out from the Ford Lightening pickup and went with the Ioniq5 at half the price. Do 90 percent of my charging at home and the solar makes it pretty cheap.

good looking car

We are real happy with it. A step up from the Ford C-Max Energi that we traded in.

In November I bought a Lexus LX 600. Certainly not in the same league as an electric, but these big cars are starting to get some pretty decent mileage. Lexus and Toyota are putting turbos in most of their cars now, which is way increasing the gas mileage. I was skeptical of a turbo v6 in the LX - trading from the 5.7 V8, but still has plenty of power. Seems like more in fact!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back