• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Long Term Ramifications

I believe the events currently unfolding may change the landscape of college football, if not college athletics, permanently. If I am a current high school senior hoping to play college sports I would be watching this very closely.

Let's say I'm down to a final two of Nebraska and Louisville (where I live). If Nebraska and the B1G choose not to play this fall while U of L and the ACC do; it becomes a very easy decision. Unfortunately the same would hold true for a Volleyball player (by the way Kenzie Maloney was from Louisville), basketball player, etc...

I just don't see how this will not have a HUGE negative impact on B1G programs. I still find it unimaginable that tOSU & Michigan are falling in line.

I believe the events currently unfolding may change the landscape of college football, if not college athletics, permanently. If I am a current high school senior hoping to play college sports I would be watching this very closely.

Let's say I'm down to a final two of Nebraska and Louisville (where I live). If Nebraska and the B1G choose not to play this fall while U of L and the ACC do; it becomes a very easy decision. Unfortunately the same would hold true for a Volleyball player (by the way Kenzie Maloney was from Louisville), basketball player, etc...

I just don't see how this will not have a HUGE negative impact on B1G programs. I still find it unimaginable that tOSU & Michigan are falling in line.

Agree. the official message from tOSU and Michigan was supportive of the b10, but there are other messages coming from those programs as well. B10 should be concerned

Money talks,all else walks.Jmo.Keep the faith.GBR.

Not sure what you mean by that? In this scenario I would argue the money would be on the side of playing football but that is not what happened.

The financial ramifications are going to be massive. Is the BIG conference going to compensate these schools since they are not allowing any play this fall? This will change the landscape of college sports. Some schools like in the PAC 12 will not recover.

I agree. Those who look at this decision as a Fall 2020 only decision are deluding themselves. I realize that a university does not exist for sporting events. But most universities have become dependent upon the sporting events. It seems to me that the Big 10 university presidents have ignored this fact. Enrollment, already taking a hit, will be at risk, long term, during a time when every advantage to keep enrollment high is needed. The tax $$ that are needed to run the university will be decreased. Coaches and staff might look to coach elsewhere due to a perceived lack of support. The ramifications long term are enormous.

I agree. Those who look at this decision as a Fall 2020 only decision are deluding themselves. I realize that a university does not exist for sporting events. But most universities have become dependent upon the sporting events. It seems to me that the Big 10 university presidents have ignored this fact. Enrollment, already taking a hit, will be at risk, long term, during a time when every advantage to keep enrollment high is needed. The tax $$ that are needed to run the university will be decreased. Coaches and staff might look to coach elsewhere due to a perceived lack of support. The ramifications long term are enormous.
I'm genuinely curious here: in what way are most universities dependent on sporting events? For sure they are a way to get Alumni on campus and spread name recognition. The funds that come in from football are mostly consumed by football and athletic departments. What else?

I think some people really have a hard time understanding just how little athletics play in the grand scheme of a University system. The B1G TV deal brings in roughly $50Mil. That's a pretty good chunk of change. The 20-21 fiscal year budget for UNL is just shy of 1.3Bil, and that's after some pretty heft cuts due to COVID-19. Like @HuSkaBob said, most of what the Athletics Department generates goes back into the department. If sports were cut, nearly the rest of the college would go on without much of an issue. The bookstore would probably take the biggest hit, selling fewer sweatshirts.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back