• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Linebacker development

Status
Not open for further replies.

LincolnshireHusker

Recruit
2 Year Member
Is anyone else bothered by Ross Els statement (and earlier statements) about teaching the young linebackers to play all three positions? I know it's not always clear which LB position a kid is best suited for. It seems to me that a freshman or RFr has plenty to learn about a single LB position without trying to learn three positions at once. Maybe with a year or two of experience you can teach all three positions. But you want your LBs playing fast and confident, and not thinking too much, and focusing on one position makes more sense to me (but I never coached)...any thoughts??

Last edited:

Others have touched on this. It makes little sense to me to keep playing musical chairs with the LBs. Figure out where they belong and let them learn the position.

I dont think there is an issue with it as the differences arent drastic from one to the next. Part of playing the position is knowing what the other LB's are doing as well.

I could see some disadvantages between MLB and OLB that may slow development. But it's probably hard to play fast when your scared of making a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back