• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Line ranked 94th by PFF

juju

The future starts now.
5 Year Member
94. NEBRASKA
Left tackle Brenden Jaimes was the only Cornhusker offensive lineman with any high hopes of good play this season and that’s exactly been the case so far. Jaimes hasn’t been nearly as good as what he was last year in pass protection when he earned an 88.1 grade in that facet, but he has still been good relative to his counterparts. The left tackle has recorded a 75.4 pass-block grade this year and allowed the fifth-lowest pressure rate among Big Ten tackles at 1.9%. As for everyone else on Nebraska’s offensive line, they have allowed over twice the pressure rate of Jaimes and are all under a 60.0 pass-block grade for the year.

So my question is what do we do to improve this season and next? And why are we putting so much blame on 2AM? Next year likely no Jaimes or Farniok. BB will have year under his belt. TC hopefully can get some good minutes this year. I am really hoping that another year of strength room with coach Duval can help us generate enough push next year to not get our QBs decapitated.

I think our O line is our biggest hold up from progress by a mile. Can't control clock. Can't stop shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties. Mashed personal groupings out of necessity that prevent typical system operation. Like when Farniok moves to center. He isn't a second level guy. BW and EP aren't thumper like big Farniok.

That recruiting imbalance on the O line (prior to Frost) over the years paired with the previous regime's lack of strength development along the trenches, make for a crazy pinch finishing the year strong and looking ahead.

94. NEBRASKA
Left tackle Brenden Jaimes was the only Cornhusker offensive lineman with any high hopes of good play this season and that’s exactly been the case so far. Jaimes hasn’t been nearly as good as what he was last year in pass protection when he earned an 88.1 grade in that facet, but he has still been good relative to his counterparts. The left tackle has recorded a 75.4 pass-block grade this year and allowed the fifth-lowest pressure rate among Big Ten tackles at 1.9%. As for everyone else on Nebraska’s offensive line, they have allowed over twice the pressure rate of Jaimes and are all under a 60.0 pass-block grade for the year.

So my question is what do we do to improve this season and next? And why are we putting so much blame on 2AM? Next year likely no Jaimes or Farniok. BB will have year under his belt. TC hopefully can get some good minutes this year. I am really hoping that another year of strength room with coach Duval can help us generate enough push next year to not get our QBs decapitated.

I think our O line is our biggest hold up from progress by a mile. Can't control clock. Can't stop shooting ourselves in the foot with penalties. Mashed personal groupings out of necessity that prevent typical system operation. Like when Farniok moves to center. He isn't a second level guy. BW and EP aren't thumper like big Farniok.

That recruiting imbalance on the O line (prior to Frost) over the years paired with the previous regime's lack of strength development along the trenches, make for a crazy pinch finishing the year strong and looking ahead.
I have no idea if it's play calling or our line not being able to get a push, or our QB making the wrong reads, but we have looked bad.

To your bolded, we literally return 4 guys that started in 2019 that have had 3 years strength training with this staff, the fifth is Jurgens who is in his second year starting but only second year with the strength staff. We somehow are currently sitting worse than our grade at the end of 2019. Is it really a "previous regimes lack of strength development along the trenches" issue? If we have gotten worse in 2020 than we were ranked in 2019... is that really a Riley issue?

Last edited:

This is exactly why it takes time to build a decent program in the B1G, where line play is everything. Even our upperclassmen had freshman bodies when Frost got here. I don't care how many starts they've had--completely irrelevant to how physically strong they need to be. It's gonna take another couple of years for us to impose our will against defensive lines. Our DLine is holding up better, but there are less of them to roll out/coach up in a 3-4. Oline takes the kind of dedication Frost is showing--recruit huge frames, redshirt, fill out, roll them out when they're ready.

Unfortunately, we have three underclassmen playing prematurely due to past deficiencies. The whole program will have to grow at their pace as a result, and linemen develop at a snail's pace. I really like our young pups though.

As for everyone else [except Jaimes] on Nebraska’s offensive line, they have allowed over twice the pressure rate of Jaimes and are all under a 60.0 pass-block grade for the year.

If we just cut out the bad snaps, penalties, and turnovers, this offense will be unstoppable!

Well, these are the million dollar questions. Are the players just not capable physically or mentally to play at this level, or are they under motivated, under developed, under coached, over coached?

If we could cure the O-line problem, some other problems could solve themselves.

Having said that, the line has given both AM and LM great protection at times only to be thwarted by receivers not getting open, or the QB not seeing them, or inaccurate passes or passes dropped in the end zone.

Perhaps we just don’t have enough hip hip hoorays in the locker room.

This is exactly why it takes time to build a decent program in the B1G, where line play is everything. Even our upperclassmen had freshman bodies when Frost got here. I don't care how many starts they've had--completely irrelevant to how physically strong they need to be. It's gonna take another couple of years for us to impose our will against defensive lines. Our DLine is holding up better, but there are less of them to roll out/coach up in a 3-4. Oline takes the kind of dedication Frost is showing--recruit huge frames, redshirt, fill out, roll them out when they're ready.

Unfortunately, we have three underclassmen playing prematurely due to past deficiencies. The whole program will have to grow at their pace as a result, and linemen develop at a snail's pace. I really like our young pups though.

Sounds like a reasonable hypothesis.

I have no idea if it's play calling or our line not being able to get a push, or our QB making the wrong reads, but we have looked bad.

To your bolded, we literally return 4 guys that started in 2019 that have had 3 years strength training with this staff, the fifth is Jurgens who is in his second year starting but only second year with the strength staff. We somehow are currently sitting worse than our grade at the end of 2019. Is it really a "previous regimes lack of strength development along the trenches" issue? If we have gotten worse in 2020 than we were ranked in 2019... is that really a Riley issue?

Your being too kind. The key issue is we have an awful offensive line coach, not excusing awful play calling.

A third year OL coach with a seasoned line should not be producing these horrible stats. 94th out of 127. Jaimes is a four year starter and yet he has statistically regressed as a senior with not being hurt. How is this even possible except for coaching?

Austin among others needs to be fired.

Our offensive tackles are not very athletic... that is the biggest problem I see with this line. When you move Farniok to guard, we are playing with 3 Tackles. Big and strong, but stiff telephone poles for legs.

I can certainly see grading or evaluating offensive lines with conferences but ranking a MAC team with a Big Ten or SEC team is just stupid and let’s see BYU put any 3 average Power 5 teams on their schedule and check their stats.

94. NEBRASKA

This position was supposed to be a bright spot and it showed that we are still a ways away everywhere.

And when the line is back, so will the rest be. Frost has made it clear. He wants to get old and stay old at the lines. He has recruited that way. Huge, big frames that will be developed and then its plug and play.

When we are moving our RT to RG and then subbing him in at center....we are still 2 years out at OL.

I can certainly see grading or evaluating offensive lines with conferences but ranking a MAC team with a Big Ten or SEC team is just stupid and let’s see BYU put any 3 average Power 5 teams on their schedule and check their stats.
It’s fair to rank us with the MAC schools. Lest we forget we recently lost to Northern Illinois? Edit: and Troy. Point is, our higher-rated recruits are underperforming.

Last edited:

This position was supposed to be a bright spot and it showed that we are still a ways away everywhere.

And when the line is back, so will the rest be. Frost has made it clear. He wants to get old and stay old at the lines. He has recruited that way. Huge, big frames that will be developed and then its plug and play.

When we are moving our RT to RG and then subbing him in at center....we are still 2 years out at OL.

To be fair, 94 is still likely the bright spot on this team.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back