• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Let’s Talk Michigan… (feathers ruffled)

All aboard !

wlDx0J3.png

NU averaged 3 ypc. Something went wrong. I'd be interested in seeing your breakdown if you're willing to put the time and effort into one.

Say what???? In the Troy game I watched Nebraska averaged 3.9 yards not 3 as you say but more importantly excluding the qb's sacks they averaged 4.8 yards against a full box and my whole point is you can't blindly do the breakdown you are asking me to do without a full understanding of the lineman's assignments on the play. Did you read my post?

I’m going with a different approach this week. We all know Michigan is loaded with athletes and what they bring to the table. They have an offense starting to figure it out; their top 2 RBs appear to be healthy and they have a defense that can go beast mode but they're not invincible because Harbaugh is stubborn and his teams at Michigan have never figured it out... completely... yet. However, Nebraska could start Deshaun Watson and would lose miserably to Michigan with Nebraska's O-line play.

Listed below shows the quarter, video time; game time; down & distance and the highlighted OL player(s) from the Troy v. Nebraska game. Keep in mind that these are ONLY the obvious plays. 1st & 10 takes a beating.

1st Quarter
07:39 ..... 12:37 [2nd & 5] ….. Conrad
16:30 ..... 7:24 [1st & 10] ..... What the hell is Farmer is doing?
18:12 ..... 5:53 [1st & 10] ..... Farmer… seriously?
25:11 ..... 3:38 [1st & 10] ..... Farmer… again
26:29 ..... 2:50 [2nd & 14] ..... Stoll’s turn
31:48 ..... 1:15 [3rd & 5] ..... Stoll again

2nd Quarter
35:52 ..... 14:13 [1st & 10] ..... Conrad… again
36:52 ..... 13:16 [3rd & 8] ..... Conrad & Farmer need to take their act to Vegas.
43:29 ..... 9:47 [2nd & 4] ..... A. Allen getting manhandled
54:45 ..... 5:04 [1st & 10] ..... J. Foster’s turn

3rd Quarter
1:11:00 ..... 13:24 [3rd & 5] ..... Farmer & M. Farniok (mostly Farmer)
1:11:27..... 13:03 [1st & 10] ..... What the hell B. Jaimes? M. Farniok??

I had to stop charting because it was ridiculous. On to the items to correct before Nebraska can consider being competitive with Nebraska-Kearney... forget Michigan. Too harsh? Don't care... there are some serious discipline and technique flaws all over that field on both sides of the ball and on special teams and a handful of starters that don't belong on the field which is on the coaches.

Offense
  • QB tunnel vision throwing into multiple coverage.
  • QB missing progressions to underneath & dump-off routes.
  • O-line extending arms and losing leverage; lousy & lazy blocking in general.
  • O-line missed assignments; failing to identify D ISOs & alignments.
  • WRs dropping catchable balls; what happened to the WR depth we heard about?
Defense
  • In last week’s ‘Let’s Talk Troy’ I wrote, “The DL needs to NOT get sucked in on QB RPO counter.” How did that work out? You can bet Michigan will run multiple variations of it.
  • The arm tackling and whiffs are Pop Warner. Find me someone who can tackle... consistently. Also mentioned that in last week’s write-up.
  • LBs slow to read & react and not maintaining key responsibilities. (D. Young has been slopping up the field with that garbage for 3+ years.
  • DBs ignoring coverage responsibility and biting on play-action and misdirection. Harbaugh will key on L. Jackson because he's the softest and most undisciplined D1 CB I've seen in the last 4 years. The kid is afraid to hit anyone; he's all flash and no bash and he got damn lucky on that interception because he was burnt worse than last week's toast.
Special Teams
  • Blocking on kick-off returns is lousy.
  • Blocking on punt kick and return teams is worse.
  • Players jogging down the field; not staying in their lanes.
  • Missed field goals.
Intangibles
  • Stupid penalties and turnovers… again and again and AGAIN!
  • Unimaginative play calling. [e.g. Go to 1:14:02 on the video above and watch that series.] 1 of 4 on 4th down tries and the same inside counter has been run each time. But hey, one was to the right side; so I guess that was tricky.
  • Speed up the offense; less time between snaps.
  • Come on coaches… make adjustments.
  • Come on coaches… if a player is slacking – sit his ass on the bench!
  • Coach rhetoric of "every position is a competition each week"... put up or shut up.
Mods: I will take a vacation if you deem it to be necessary.

One hit, I get your frustration at the game, but there was good and bad things that went on. Should Nebraska have beat Troy, yeah I think so, but Troy was a pretty decent team.

For me I think Frost dropped the ball on his game plan. He went away from what his offense does and thought they could just "Muck the Game up" is that what he said. He thought they could impose their will on Troy and run the ball and get out of their with a win. It almost worked, take out the sloppy penalties and TO and it might have worked.

But it didn't work, Troy sold out to "Muck up the run". They picked their poison and said we are going to stop the run with all sorts of stunts and blitzes. Lets have the walk on sophomore 3rd string QB beat us with the arm, and if he does so be it. SF said they were giving them the intermediate middle pass, but they still stayed away from it. Bunch got rattled early and threw a couple of bad passes that caused a int and I think it scared Frost off somewhat.

The defense played well enough for the most part to win the game. If before the game you say the defense gives up 12 1st downs 250 in total defense and 17 points you would probably take that.

I will repeat this over and over. I think missing that Akron game hurts this team more than anything so far this year. It just messed everything up.

Lets also not forget how critical AM is to the offense that Frost runs. If AM is playing Troy MUST defend against the QB run which changes their defensive calles. AM breaks clear on a RPO or a scramble and he's gone to the house. Have that happen a couple times and we have a completely different game.

One Hit Wonder... while I absolutely admire the work you put in breaking things down.... I have to ask what your baseline was? Alabama?

Middle of the road college football games are never going to grade out very high across the board... I think that is what makes Saban as good as he is. He has otherworldly talent and because of the lack of worry about talent they can drill down to the very finite details.. We all know TO did that before with his offense... but again that talent was already there. Right now our staff is just trying to get the most talent on the field while letting them learn on the job if you will.

I will be the first to say we are better off talent wise than most give us credit for...especially at the skilled positions (vs other B1G West teams) but along the O Line we don't have that right now... One of the things I was encourage about with this offense is you don't have to be amazing along the OL to make it work but you also need a slick ball handler and decisive QB all in one. Martinez is going to fix a lot of the noticeable problems I think... and hope...

I still refuse to believe this team can't win 6 or 7 games this year.

Say what???? In the Troy game I watched Nebraska averaged 3.9 yards not 3 as you say but more importantly excluding the qb's sacks they averaged 4.8 yards against a full box and my whole point is you can't blindly do the breakdown you are asking me to do without a full understanding of the lineman's assignments on the play. Did you read my post?

My fault. I thought it was 3.2 ypc, but the sacks happened and that's on the line too. You don't get to ignore those just to enhance your argument.

None of us know the exact line calls, but you don't have to be Greg Austin to know that there were issues against Troy. Was it poor communication? Probably some. We'll never know how much though. Poor technique? There's definitely some improvement to be made. Could Frost have made more adjustments to the play calling? I'm sure he would tell you he could have/should have.

So why get so defensive? If there were no issues then NU would have won this game. OHW isn't calling for heads. He's just showing areas that need drastic improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m going with a different approach this week. We all know Michigan is loaded with athletes and what they bring to the table. They have an offense starting to figure it out; their top 2 RBs appear to be healthy and they have a defense that can go beast mode but they're not invincible because Harbaugh is stubborn and his teams at Michigan have never figured it out... completely... yet. However, Nebraska could start Deshaun Watson and would lose miserably to Michigan with Nebraska's O-line play.

Listed below shows the quarter, video time; game time; down & distance and the highlighted OL player(s) from the Troy v. Nebraska game. Keep in mind that these are ONLY the obvious plays. 1st & 10 takes a beating.

1st Quarter
07:39 ..... 12:37 [2nd & 5] ….. Conrad
16:30 ..... 7:24 [1st & 10] ..... What the hell is Farmer is doing?
18:12 ..... 5:53 [1st & 10] ..... Farmer… seriously?
25:11 ..... 3:38 [1st & 10] ..... Farmer… again
26:29 ..... 2:50 [2nd & 14] ..... Stoll’s turn
31:48 ..... 1:15 [3rd & 5] ..... Stoll again

2nd Quarter
35:52 ..... 14:13 [1st & 10] ..... Conrad… again
36:52 ..... 13:16 [3rd & 8] ..... Conrad & Farmer need to take their act to Vegas.
43:29 ..... 9:47 [2nd & 4] ..... A. Allen getting manhandled
54:45 ..... 5:04 [1st & 10] ..... J. Foster’s turn

3rd Quarter
1:11:00 ..... 13:24 [3rd & 5] ..... Farmer & M. Farniok (mostly Farmer)
1:11:27..... 13:03 [1st & 10] ..... What the hell B. Jaimes? M. Farniok??

I had to stop charting because it was ridiculous. On to the items to correct before Nebraska can consider being competitive with Nebraska-Kearney... forget Michigan. Too harsh? Don't care... there are some serious discipline and technique flaws all over that field on both sides of the ball and on special teams and a handful of starters that don't belong on the field which is on the coaches.

Offense
  • QB tunnel vision throwing into multiple coverage.
  • QB missing progressions to underneath & dump-off routes.
  • O-line extending arms and losing leverage; lousy & lazy blocking in general.
  • O-line missed assignments; failing to identify D ISOs & alignments.
  • WRs dropping catchable balls; what happened to the WR depth we heard about?
Defense
  • In last week’s ‘Let’s Talk Troy’ I wrote, “The DL needs to NOT get sucked in on QB RPO counter.” How did that work out? You can bet Michigan will run multiple variations of it.
  • The arm tackling and whiffs are Pop Warner. Find me someone who can tackle... consistently. Also mentioned that in last week’s write-up.
  • LBs slow to read & react and not maintaining key responsibilities. (D. Young has been slopping up the field with that garbage for 3+ years.
  • DBs ignoring coverage responsibility and biting on play-action and misdirection. Harbaugh will key on L. Jackson because he's the softest and most undisciplined D1 CB I've seen in the last 4 years. The kid is afraid to hit anyone; he's all flash and no bash and he got damn lucky on that interception because he was burnt worse than last week's toast.
Special Teams
  • Blocking on kick-off returns is lousy.
  • Blocking on punt kick and return teams is worse.
  • Players jogging down the field; not staying in their lanes.
  • Missed field goals.
Intangibles
  • Stupid penalties and turnovers… again and again and AGAIN!
  • Unimaginative play calling. [e.g. Go to 1:14:02 on the video above and watch that series.] 1 of 4 on 4th down tries and the same inside counter has been run each time. But hey, one was to the right side; so I guess that was tricky.
  • Speed up the offense; less time between snaps.
  • Come on coaches… make adjustments.
  • Come on coaches… if a player is slacking – sit his ass on the bench!
  • Coach rhetoric of "every position is a competition each week"... put up or shut up.
Mods: I will take a vacation if you deem it to be necessary.

I dont know what to think about all of this. I think some of what you say is true. But I have felt that way for years about he OL. I think games are never perfect, but I dont know how many of the gaffes, when fixed, would it take to change the outcome of a game. I'd say just a few changes and you change a defeat to a victory and from there it snowballs.

What I want to hear about are the cases where these problems are getting solved. Talk about what player A has learned and cleaned up. Talk about player A getting sat down and him seeing player B do better or even make the same mistakes, then see player A go back in and do it right. Appreciate the small things, and the big things will come naturally.

I don't see any reason to go looking through each play trying to find a missed assignment unless you counter that with the number of good things that happened too. It paints a sorely picture that isn't representative of the team as a whole. Yes there are issues. Every game and every team will have that. I personally liked noticing some of the great things we did because that tells me what we are capable of. As was pointed out....we are dominating the stats so that means we are doing some pretty good things. Clean up the mistakes and things will start changing.

I don't see any reason to go looking through each play trying to find a missed assignment unless you counter that with the number of good things that happened too. It paints a sorely picture that isn't representative of the team as a whole. Yes there are issues. Every game and every team will have that. I personally liked noticing some of the great things we did because that tells me what we are capable of. As was pointed out....we are dominating the stats so that means we are doing some pretty good things. Clean up the mistakes and things will start changing.

Well, you have the perfect opportunity to analyze the video OHW provided and chart the positives.

That is a thorough analysis OHW. Based upon what you are seeing, do you think we can cover the 17-point spread?

I am sure Michigan has some faults/weaknesses as well, but then again maybe not.

You say that we can win with a simple game plan if our O-line can be effective. How do we win if they cannot be effective?

Can't!

OHW

You may have also not credited the fact that Troy was the "perfect storm".

Only the second game for a team learning a brand new system against a very different defensive front in a Troy running a 3-3-5 that shifts into a 4-4 with a lot of variations.

With five returning defensive starters and two games under their belts, they had a lot more ability to vary their defense than DONU had with Bunch, one game and a new system to vary the offense.

Second, It will be interesting to see how we match up against a more conventional Michigan defense. We put up more than 500 yards of total offense against CU, only mid 300yds against Troy with its D.

I think we put up more than 400 yards total offense against Michigan, especially if Conrad does not play the whole game at center.

OHW bags on the whole O-line, while I believe the main issue is the mismatch at center when Conrad is faced with a nose tackle. His foot work does not allow him to be successful in those situations.

Are you ready for the sunshine?

Notice my analysis didn’t involve what the opponent was doing - it was about Nebraska's self-implosion. Implode in the same manner Saturday and Michigan will wipe them out. Fix the majority of issues and Nebraska has a chance.

Shore up OL blocking then drives have a chance to be sustained. Longer, sustained drives mean a chance of tiring Michigan’s D. Will Nebraska score every time; no but TOP and field position will be huge in this game.

I get it – not every play is going to be perfect or go for a TD. Let’s examine the J. Foster play noted in my OP. At @ 55:45 Foster’s assignment was block & release down and set up the screen. He barely touched the DE and the DE came in too quick. Conrad allowed his assignment (OLB) to get away from him because he didn’t stay focused and the play was blown up.

Notice when Nebraska went fast with quick outs and slants, it mitigated the need for sustained pass pro. However, in both games there were plays where the pass pro created the perfect horseshoe and that’s the frustrating part. They show they can do it - they just don’t do it consistently and some of it is laziness.

Throwing into coverage is a head scratcher; Martinez and Bunch are both guilty. Bunch had the underneath many times but went up top. The O requires a ‘See & React QB’; it’s about decision-making. Many times the QB could have pulled the string on RPO and took off. That’s a confidence issue; a matter of seeing the field and play unfold and RBs hitting the right hole helps. Go faster on O and more diversity in the play calling wears out a defense.

Nebraska's D exhibits fundamental breakdowns. Back-side contain and getting sucked in on counter and misdirection happens too much. The DL is close but isn’t there yet. The LB play has been better as has the play of the DBs. I called out D. Young because he’s missing reads for a 4th year in a row. Young isn’t as slow as the jokes insinuate but when he misses reads, he’s late to react and then he’s the slowest guy on the field. You know my opinion about L. Jackson and feel Michigan will pick on him.

The tackling is perplexing. Example: @ 52:29 of the video Honas reads and fires the gap. His eyes were on the RBs helmet and not his hips; Honas lost the advantage; did the one-armed lunge and the RB scored. In both games the D showed glimpses of solid tackling but the habit of not wrapping up is still there.

Nebraska can fix everything I’ve noted; in many cases they’re easy fixes. Get consistent OL play; minimize TOs and stupid penalties and the game starts to level out. If the D stays disciplined; follows assignments and tackles then we will have a game and I believe it could turn into a defensive game; Michigan’s O is vulnerable and the Nebraska's D can be the equalizer.

Don’t fix the issues ..... Michigan 47 – Nebraska 10
Fix most issues ..... Michigan 31 – Nebraska 25
Fix all issues ..... Nebraska 21 - Michigan 17

I apologize for disrespecting Pop Warner. :thumbsup:

Are you ready for the sunshine?

Notice my analysis didn’t involve what the opponent was doing - it was about Nebraska's self-implosion. Implode in the same manner Saturday and Michigan will wipe them out. Fix the majority of issues and Nebraska has a chance.

Shore up OL blocking then drives have a chance to be sustained. Longer, sustained drives mean a chance of tiring Michigan’s D. Will Nebraska score every time; no but TOP and field position will be huge in this game.

I get it – not every play is going to be perfect or go for a TD. Let’s examine the J. Foster play noted in my OP. At @ 55:45 Foster’s assignment was block & release down and set up the screen. He barely touched the DE and the DE came in too quick. Conrad allowed his assignment (OLB) to get away from him because he didn’t stay focused and the play was blown up.

Notice when Nebraska went fast with quick outs and slants, it mitigated the need for sustained pass pro. However, in both games there were plays where the pass pro created the perfect horseshoe and that’s the frustrating part. They show they can do it - they just don’t do it consistently and some of it is laziness.

Throwing into coverage is a head scratcher; Martinez and Bunch are both guilty. Bunch had the underneath many times but went up top. The O requires a ‘See & React QB’; it’s about decision-making. Many times the QB could have pulled the string on RPO and took off. That’s a confidence issue; a matter of seeing the field and play unfold and RBs hitting the right hole helps. Go faster on O and more diversity in the play calling wears out a defense.

Nebraska's D exhibits fundamental breakdowns. Back-side contain and getting sucked in on counter and misdirection happens too much. The DL is close but isn’t there yet. The LB play has been better as has the play of the DBs. I called out D. Young because he’s missing reads for a 4th year in a row. Young isn’t as slow as the jokes insinuate but when he misses reads, he’s late to react and then he’s the slowest guy on the field. You know my opinion about L. Jackson and feel Michigan will pick on him.

The tackling is perplexing. Example: @ 52:29 of the video Honas reads and fires the gap. His eyes were on the RBs helmet and not his hips; Honas lost the advantage; did the one-armed lunge and the RB scored. In both games the D showed glimpses of solid tackling but the habit of not wrapping up is still there.

Nebraska can fix everything I’ve noted; in many cases they’re easy fixes. Get consistent OL play; minimize TOs and stupid penalties and the game starts to level out. If the D stays disciplined; follows assignments and tackles then we will have a game and I believe it could turn into a defensive game; Michigan’s O is vulnerable and the Nebraska's D can be the equalizer.

Don’t fix the issues ..... Michigan 47 – Nebraska 10
Fix most issues ..... Michigan 31 – Nebraska 25
Fix all issues ..... Nebraska 21 - Michigan 17

I apologize for disrespecting Pop Warner. :thumbsup:

No worries, my last name isn't Warner

The game stats on Troy say otherwise....... We won almost every stat with the exception of turnovers? So if our Offense and Defense played so terrible how do you account for these stats. Don't tell me they don't matter because last season we consistently lost every stat while getting beaten to a pulp. Team is not nearly as bad as your analysis imo. I agree the O-line has not played great or even acceptable and needs to be fixed. Don't know if that's possible with our current players. I think your analysis is way to harsh when everything is factored in and it's only 2 games into the season..... It's a game we clearly should have won and if not for that punt score we would have won it imo. You're certainly entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. Lets see what the Michigan game brings.........

View attachment 17617
How about now? Stil too harsh?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back