• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Leigha Brown transferring now

The all is well crowd has been absent for awhile. It’s been obvious for a long time that Williams and staff are overmatched at this level. Not a sudden thing. Brown is our best player. The situation is hopeless. The effects of Perlman and Eichorst continue to be felt In the athletic department. It takes years to overcome gross incompetence.

Last edited:

Who else is gone?

Kayla Mershon and Ashton Verbeek so far. The only player left from the sophomore class is Sam Haiby. So 3 out of 4 out of that class are gone. There could be more departures. If there ever was a time for immediate impact transfers, this is it. A 10th place team losing its best player and several other 25+ minute players isn't a good look.

That is a fine avatar you have.

Concerning for sure. Any insights as far as any other factors or is the thought that it is purely a coach chemistry/confidence issue? I'd guess that Moos would be trying to get the players to be truthful on their core reasons for leaving, but might be hard to get them to throw a coach under the bus. With today's world, it is not out of the realm of possibility that players just want to be closer than their loved ones. Verbeek going from D1 to NAIA is puzzling to say the least. Even though she's going closer to home, Lincoln is not all that far from NW Iowa.

Concerning for sure. Any insights as far as any other factors or is the thought that it is purely a coach chemistry/confidence issue? I'd guess that Moos would be trying to get the players to be truthful on their core reasons for leaving, but might be hard to get them to throw a coach under the bus. With today's world, it is not out of the realm of possibility that players just want to be closer than their loved ones. Verbeek going from D1 to NAIA is puzzling to say the least. Even though she's going closer to home, Lincoln is not all that far from NW Iowa.

I suspect it is multi-factorial, rather than group-think. From what I can tell from a couple of people close to the program, it isn't a big problem with the coaches or assistants from a personality standpoint. These are good people who have a positive approach with the players. But yes, I suspect there is a lack of confidence that the program will win going forward. So from your post, that would be more of a confidence issue than a chemistry issue.

Mershon really struggled as a sophomore. Playing time and success on the floor was way down. My guess is at the postseason meeting, the coaches were candid with her about prospects for future playing time, and didn't encourage her to stay. Of course, they probably didn't know at that time about Verbeek and Brown.

Verbeek is extremely devout. It is believed she wanted to eliminate part of the massive time commitment being an upper D1 athlete puts in, to further faith and family. Could better prospects of future program success, which was dimming greatly, have overcome her self-searching? Who knows.

Brown I haven't heard and don't know. My guess is that is more frustration with the basketball and coaching end of things then the others.

The subtle suggestion by Coach that this was the result of the pandemic should be stifled. All teams at this level have out of state players away from home, and have to deal with the current environment. Transfers are part of the game, and are happening everywhere, but not at this level and not with this timing. Problems created by the pandemic not unique to us. Comes off as an excuse.

What got us in this situation is poor recruiting. This year's freshman class was a huge red flag for anyone willing to look at it objectively. In hindsight the sophomore class wasn't great either. Next year's class looks average, and non-existent at the crucial guard spot. 4 years into it and no point guard. Add in lacking the chops to produce quality player development and retain players, and Houston, we have a problem.

Kayla Mershon and Ashton Verbeek so far. The only player left from the sophomore class is Sam Haiby. So 3 out of 4 out of that class are gone. There could be more departures. If there ever was a time for immediate impact transfers, this is it. A 10th place team losing its best player and several other 25+ minute players isn't a good look.

That is a fine avatar you have.
Thx for the info sir

With family things happening from March thru May for me I missed this thread. I had to go look for it because of the thread saying she is eligible to immediately play for UM.

All I can say is;

Good luck, in life and all of your future endeavors, Leigha.

Once a HUSKER, always a HUSKER.

:Rockon: :Mfclap:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back