• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Learning How to Win

Last year in the Maryland game, McCaffrey was visibly ticked when we didn't score on one of his possessions. It's one reason I'd like to see him get a chance at the starter's role. We could use the kind of leadership that hates losing individual plays, much less games, with that kind of intensity. I remember thinking it reminded me of Frazier. We've had a team over the last several years that didn`t like losing but also didn't hate losing to the core of their soul, IMO. Get a core group of guys with that mentality leading the team and things will turn around quickly.

Last edited:

Devaney taught the Huskers how to win...he was a master of winning the close ones against near/equal talent. He built the house to the extent that there weren't many opponents with near/equal talent when he retired to AD. Tom maintained the house and eventually upped the talent level...after that, first we started losing the talent, then we started losing the close games. Tough to flip that around again, but maybe we get on track this year. To the OP though...spot on, we really seem to have lost the will to win recently, ugh.

BTW, as much as I wanted Bo removed as coach...he was clearly a master of winning the close games.
Bo was the best.

We will play in the fall my friend.

I agree there is too much money at stake. The smaller D1 schools need that football money to stay afloat. Nebraska and the rest of the Power 5 could probably survive, but some will still take a big hit.

Besides the county needs it. Heck I was actually watching some MMA on Saturday. I hate MMA, I usually don't find it very entertaining. It was live sports though, and I was craving it.

Thanks! I've followed this board for quite a while but finally decided to join. I'm an Omaha native but have lived in St. Louis since 2001.

I wondered how many people would understand the screen name.
Flat Water spells sportsmanship!

Last edited:
this is why I think Riley is a clown. He took a team that new how to win and wanted to win and turned them into a team that was alright if they lost. The only cure for this is us winning Those close games. It will be slow at first but if they win one and then a couple more they just might break over that bump and start winning those games on a regular bases and the. Frost can start to get more of those four star recruits to start winning championships. Until then I don’t see us recruiting much better than we are now.

Like all of you, I am concerned that we won't have a college football season this year. I'm going to assume that we will have a season because I don't want to consider the alternative.

I have a masochistic habit of recording all of the Nebraska games each season on my DVR and then re-watching the season in the couple of months before the next season starts. It helps remind me of who our up and coming players are, and it's interesting to watch the evolution (or devolution as the case may be) of the team as the year goes along. So far in watching last season I've only made it through the Colorado game, but watching it reminded me of something that has really bothered me about Husker teams for quite a while now.

People have mentioned the need to improve the overall team talent level, and that is certainly a valid point. We are not going to beat the Ohio States of the world until we close the talent gap. But we still have enough talent to beat most of the teams on our schedule. Nevertheless, we keep losing close games against teams with comparable or lesser talent. Put simply, our team does not know how to win. We were 1-5 in games decided by one score in Frost's first season, and last year we blew games we had good chances to win against Colorado, Indiana, Purdue and Iowa. Although we lost by 16 to Wisconsin, I would even put that game into the category of games that we could have won. We blew several scoring opportunities in the second half. Had we converted those opportunities into points, we would have been in it at the end with a chance to win. Yes, Nebraska beat Illinois and Northwestern last year in close games, but they were bad teams. We didn't win close games against good teams.

What is particularly frustrating is that this is not a new problem. This has been a defining characteristic of Nebraska teams for several years now. If we did nothing else other than win rather than lose a majority of our close games, our record would look much different. Wisconsin wins close games. That's why they are consistently around the ten win mark.

Why don't we know how to win? Frost's teams at UCF were over- rather than underachievers. And it wasn't simply a matter of getting "his" guys in place, because he mainly did it with guys he inherited from the prior staff. You know, the same staff who went winless in their final season in Orlando. Why hasn't he instilled the same mental toughness in his teams in Lincoln? I wish I knew.

We have a tough schedule this year, especially at the back end, but if we show some heart and eke out more close wins against good opponents, I will have hope that Frost is finally turning the corner with this team. For the collective sanity of the State of Nebraska, let's hope we finally see some progress. We have had a very disappointing couple of decades.
I will say this...Frost did not inherit an empty cupboard at UCF....O'Leary was a decent recruiter...also Frost didn't inherit an empty cupboard when coming to NU...he had inherited 2 top 25 classes to work with....and well we know how that panned out....anyways very valid points you make...very head scratching indeed...

Just IMO -- it isn't just our players that need to grow. Our coaches need to learn how to win in the BiG. In this league defenses are sound and physical, and most of the coordinators are top level. There aren't as many big plays "out there" as there were in the AAC. It really challenges the "outscore and force turnovers" identity we want. You're success window on offense is tighter, you score less, your opponents aren't forced into taking near as many risks, it's harder to get turnovers.

I personally think we're going to have to change our philosophy a bit to truly succeed in this conference. It'll be fun watching.
Very well stated..

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back