• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Learfield Trophy - Stanford

wcbsas

All Big 10
20 Year Member

Stanford's inherent built in advantage towards winning the all-sports trophy every year just became more difficult.

Men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball and wrestling. None of these are revenue generating nor are they head-line sports.

They go from 36 varsity sports to 25.
  • Of the 11 sports being discontinued, six (lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming) are not NCAA-sponsored championship sports.
  • All 11 sports being discontinued are sponsored by less than 22% of the more than 350 Division I institutions, and nine (men’s and women’s fencing, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball) are sponsored by less than 9%.
  • There are only two other Division I field hockey and fencing programs on the West Coast, and there are no other lightweight rowing, sailing, squash or synchronized swimming programs on the West Coast.

What surprises me is Stanford has one of the largest athletic endowments in the country and if they’re doing this then wow more to come.

Now Stanford MAAAAY be picking the opportunity to do something they’ve been planning or wanted to plan to do. Would be interested in seeing @Cardinal perspective.

By comparison NU has 22 varsity sports to Stanford current 25 and previous 36.

What surprises me is Stanford has one of the largest athletic endowments in the country and if they’re doing this then wow more to come.

Now Stanford MAAAAY be picking the opportunity to do something they’ve been planning or wanted to plan to do. Would be interested in seeing @Cardinal perspective.

good point. Maybe a great time that all schools will trim the fat?

It was a 'trimming of the fat' that needed to be done. All the affected (i.e., cut) intercollegiate sports will continue as club sports. I participated in club sailing during my days, and my son competed on the club hockey team in his days at Stanford. We both had fantastic experiences. I approve of Stanford's moves. I feel bad for the kids who were competing under NCAA, not club, but the competition at the club level should still satisfy their competitive needs to some extent. Most all of the affected student athletes likely have their eyes set on different goals and larger prizes after graduation than athletics would have provided.

Last edited:

Oh, and one more thing: Per the letter I received from Stanford this week, you are correct that Stanford had their eyes on these varsity sports for some time as something that might need to be downgraded to club for fiscal reasons. Stanford's endowment is one of the largest in the world, but so very much of it is already earmarked for the incredible research, teaching, and philanthropic work the university's mission statement demands.

Last edited:
If we really wanted to, "trim the fat," we would only have 4 sports at NU, just like the "good ole days in high school." M and W basketball; volleyball and football.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back