• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

LB Seth Malcom out of Iowa is 'N'

If we need to compare him to a player from the past I will go with Ryan Terwilliger. Similar frame and type of athlete but Grant/Perkins County was not 8 man at the time.

Despite having zero idea how to gauge 8 man talent on film, I really like this pickup. This is the exact kind of kid you go and get when you have Kpai, Payton, and Paul already on board.

I went to an 8 man school for elementary. Key was just having a running back fast enough to get the edge. if that happened you won big. Old 8 man rule in Nebraska was you needed to get to halftime and if down by 45 the game ended. My little town would loose 63-0. Meaning they scored more than 45 in first half.

I like the pickup too. Camps must be pretty important in evaluating 8-man. @N2FL, what are you looking for ON FILM? Effort, want to, attitude? etc?

I went to an 8 man school for elementary. Key was just having a running back fast enough to get the edge. if that happened you won big. Old 8 man rule in Nebraska was you needed to get to halftime and if down by 45 the game ended. My little town would loose 63-0. Meaning they scored more than 45 in first half.

I like the pickup too. Camps must be pretty important in evaluating 8-man. @N2FL, what are you looking for ON FILM? Effort, want to, attitude? etc?

Really have to do a whole lot of projecting. You look for athleticism, movement, frame, instincts, hustle, etc. There are a few position-specific traits you look for. Change of direction and fluid hips are big. Does he get caught up in the wash? How quickly does he diagnose a play? When he shows up, does he make the play?

With a kid like Malcom, you really, really (REALLY) prefer to see him in a camp situation. He's 195 pounds and one of the two or three biggest guys in the field. Really difficult to take anything away from his film. You gotta see him in person and it'd be nice to see him compete against kids that are in his league athletically, which isn't the case at all with his film.

Really have to do a whole lot of projecting. You look for athleticism, movement, frame, instincts, hustle, etc. There are a few position-specific traits you look for. Change of direction and fluid hips are big. Does he get caught up in the wash? How quickly does he diagnose a play? When he shows up, does he make the play?

With a kid like Malcom, you really, really (REALLY) prefer to see him in a camp situation. He's 195 pounds and one of the two or three biggest guys in the field. Really difficult to take anything away from his film. You gotta see him in person and it'd be nice to see him compete against kids that are in his league athletically, which isn't the case at all with his film.
That's kind of what happened with Cam Jurgens, correct? He validated his tape at the camps in front of cameras and coaches.

Seriously, it’s a great measure of someone with some fortitude. They made us do a weight man’s mile relay one year in high school. There weren’t many teams in the relay and our coach realized it could score us points in a tight meet. I was just coming off basketball season, and was still playing daily, so I thought I was in decent shape. I’ve never felt that humbled. At 300 yards, something happened. It’s one thing to be accused of carrying a piano on your back, it’s another to be accused of stopping and playing it. Sprinting, or what I thought was sprinting for 400 meters is far harder than playing an entire basketball game.
45 seconds is roughly the wall where anaerobic exercise becomes aerobic exercise, which means all of the lactic acid released in your muscles start taunting you and your ambitions. Your muscles simultaneously say, "Oh, hell no! We didn't sign up for this $h!t."

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back