• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Koops…I found it interesting….

johnrr6

Lucky!
5 Year Member
I thought the two broadcasters for ESPN did a pretty good job doing the Nebraska games in the Arkansas Regional. Steve Lenox and Lance Cormier were fine…even good.

Lenox was the play by play and Cormier the Analyst having pitched at Alabama and then 7 years in MLB with a decent career.

I thought Cormier‘s insights on pitching and hitting quite good but thought it very interesting how he constantly avoided crowning the Arkansas wunderkind pitcher, Koops as an obvious future success in MLB. About four times Steve Lenox tried to draw him out with a lead in on how good Koops was and how good he could possibly be in the professionals. And “what do you see when you look at Koops.“

And Cormier was always very guarded…saying things like “he’s doing a great job against these Nebraska hitters.“ or “He’s been great all series.“ Only once did he slip a little when he pointed out that Koops has an amazing cutter but always throws it in the same place and then he made the comparison to Mariano Rivera who had a side to side as well as sinking cutter and could throw it anywhere. Lenox then asked him how high he would go in the draft and Cormier excellently sidestepped the question.

Now make no mistake. That Koops kid was superb! The difference maker! Without him, Nebraska is headed for the super regionals. It’s that simple.

But then I got to thinking about it today and you know what, Cormier was right. Koops did throw that cutter in the exact same spot whether it was a right hand or left hand hitter. Down and away to a righty and down and in to a lefty. He would mix in a fastball every now and then but that was not very accurate and I rarely saw curve or a change up and none of those super accurate. When he needed a strike he threw the cutter. When he needed an out he threw the cutter.

And we couldn’t touch him. (well, not true…we could get a hit from time to time but he NEVER let us string anything together) And evidently none of the SEC could touch him either. But what I think Cormier didn’t want to come right out and say is there is no way he can get away with a one pitch, one placement repertoire in the big leagues.

Hopefully the kid has a great career….and what do I know…

But I found it interesting.

The differences between a GREAT College player…and a successful major leaguer.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back