• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Klinsmann's coaching was the biggest weakness against Belgium

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Besides developing and blooding players he really needs to hire someone who is a tactical wonk and can be the #1 which he has not had since he was hired....Jason Kries would be the top American pick, but that is not going to happen with him set to lead the new NYCFC.....if Bertie was the one actually advising him in this WC then it was a big time fail....as was pointed out in another thread we went from an attacking team before the WC to a team that became the bunker mentality team of the competition....bottom line is there is plenty of blame to go around and that includes Klinsman who is going to have to show progress and win the 2015 Gold Cup and make a decent effort and run in the 2016 Copa America to keep his job from what I am hearing....and I think he knows it....and I think we all do too.....

I hope he succeeds because it means the USMNT has succeeded....

There is no question that the players on the field against Belgium did everything they could to get a result. But in terms of accomplishment, this team fell short of its potential with its second round exit.No matter what anyone says, that failure falls on Klinsmann’s shoulders.

The final 15 minutes of the match against Belgium has managed to affix rose-colored lenses upon most American fans and players alike. It was a rousing comeback in the face of elimination, on the back of the youngest player on the team, a never-say-die moment for the ages.

Forgotten are the 105 minutes that preceded those rousing 15. It was in those first 105 minutes where Belgium laced 38 shots at goalkeeper Tim Howard, getting 27 on goal, along with 19 corner kicks. Despite everything that occurred in those final 15 minutes, Belgium was never in danger of losing to the U.S.

Pay no heed to the fact that Klinsmann decided to play a different lineup for the fourth consecutive match, benching the most reliable central midfielder on his roster this World Cup in favor of a mistake-prone defender playing out of position.

American fans are choosing to be content with the effort of the team’s players, but are failing to acknowledge that the effort put forth by them was betrayed by the tactics – and meddling– of their coach.

The U.S. game plan was flawed from the outset and Klinsmann was not only incapable of fixing the problems, he exacerbated them at pivotal moments in the match. It wasn’t bad luck, it wasn’t lack of effort, it wasn’t even fatigue that cost the U.S. a spot in the quarterfinals.

The U.S. was outcoached by Belgium, not outclassed.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/jur...rld-cup-united-states-soccer-weakness-belgium

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back