• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kirk Ferentz: Iowa, Nebraska renew Black Friday tradition in 2022

There’s no question that we’ve done less with more, in terms of production per dollar spent, than just about any P5 football program. I’m with you on the idea that the “less with more” thing is about to change. We’re on the right track, finally, and I too believe that things will change.

Wisconsin and Iowa, in the meantime, have been busily producing more with less. We’ve outspent them, and outrecruited them. We’ve sold more tickets than they have and done more to promote ourselves as a national brand. All the while, they’ve largely owned us on the field. They do what they do, and they’re good at it, both schools, though Wisconsin has been better and more consistent. I have high respect for both programs based on how they maximize their resources.

It’s been so long since we’ve been “a Nebraska program firing on all cylinders” that I’d just prefer personally to avoid smack talk until we actually get there. I’m hopeful that we’ll get to the point where we regularly compete with these schools in our division. If everything works out so that we become the juggernaut that we all hope we’ll become, then maybe I’ll allow myself to think of Iowa and Wisconsin as “inferiors”. As for now, my memory of the recent results on the field and a healthy respect for what Iowa and Wisconsin actually do prevents me from assuming that we’ll become automatically superior just because of who we are and who we were. Don’t think for a minute that Wisconsin isn’t doing everything they can do, every day to get better.

There’s a huge amount of work to do to get there. I think we’ve hired the right guy to get it done. But it’s going to take some time, and nothing will be handed to us.
1) I stated that Id rather see us beat Iowa on a perennial basis than see Iowa be competitive with us. That isnt "talking smack". That is how it should be.
2) Iowa and Wisconsin are good at what they do, and they've been greatly aided by the fact that the giant in their division has been asleep. Iowa and Wisconsin would not have had as much success in the last 5-6 years if they were in the opposite division. Hell, Wisconsin needed last second heroics to beat Mike Riley.
3) Im aware that Frost isnt going to turn Nebraska into a juggernaut overnight, but the days of Iowa and Wisconsin deciding the West are coming to a close very soon.

Personally, I’d rather have our Black Friday opponent be Wisconsin. Hopefully, that game will start to mean the West Division title in a year going forward. The game with Iowa....not so much.

100%m agree.

Iowa is a small fish. Not the White Whale we seek on Friday after Tgiving.

1) I stated that Id rather see us beat Iowa on a perennial basis than see Iowa be competitive with us. That isnt "talking smack". That is how it should be.
2) Iowa and Wisconsin are good at what they do, and they've been greatly aided by the fact that the giant in their division has been asleep. Iowa and Wisconsin would not have had as much success in the last 5-6 years if they were in the opposite division. Hell, Wisconsin needed last second heroics to beat Mike Riley.
3) Im aware that Frost isnt going to turn Nebraska into a juggernaut overnight, but the days of Iowa and Wisconsin deciding the West are coming to a close very soon.

Okay.

I’ll admit, I’d rather see us squash them (Iowa) into eternal hopelessness, too, all things being equal. What I’m arguing against is the sense of entitlement that some Nebraska fans (not necessarily you) seem to have, as if it’s our destiny to dominate Iowa and Wisconsin. It may happen, but only if we earn it. To me, the idea that we would say we “should” dominate them smacks a bit of entitlement. You can say so if you want. I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve seen it on the field.

I’d put Iowa in the category of not being able to contend regularly if put in the East Division, but I think Wisky has proven that they can go toe to toe with any team in the East, even OhioSt. Not sure why people think they wouldn’t. They are the team that we have to beat, because they rarely lose to the lesser teams in either division and beat many of the best of both

Last edited:

Iowa's success against us has been more a product of what we were doing than what Iowa was doing. Same goes for Wisconsin. Both of those programs are inferior to a Nebraska program firing on all cylinders. When Nebraska gets back to playing like Nebraska, those two schools will be playing for 2nd place in the division perennially.

AMEN.

Let the Cheese Raccoons and Ditch Chickens fight for our table scraps.

There’s no question that we’ve done less with more, in terms of production per dollar spent, than just about any P5 football program. I’m with you on the idea that the “less with more” thing is about to change. We’re on the right track, finally, and I too believe that things will change.

Wisconsin and Iowa, in the meantime, have been busily producing more with less. We’ve outspent them, and outrecruited them. We’ve sold more tickets than they have and done more to promote ourselves as a national brand. All the while, they’ve largely owned us on the field. They do what they do, and they’re good at it, both schools, though Wisconsin has been better and more consistent. I have high respect for both programs based on how they maximize their resources.

It’s been so long since we’ve been “a Nebraska program firing on all cylinders” that I’d just prefer personally to avoid smack talk until we actually get there. I’m hopeful that we’ll get to the point where we regularly compete with these schools in our division. If everything works out so that we become the juggernaut that we all hope we’ll become, then maybe I’ll allow myself to think of Iowa and Wisconsin as “inferiors”. As for now, my memory of the recent results on the field and a healthy respect for what Iowa and Wisconsin actually do prevents me from assuming that we’ll become automatically superior just because of who we are and who we were. Don’t think for a minute that Wisconsin isn’t doing everything they can do, every day to get better.

There’s a huge amount of work to do to get there. I think we’ve hired the right guy to get it done. But it’s going to take some time, and nothing will be handed to us.
Well stated

I’d put Iowa in the category of not being able to contend regularly if put in the East Division, but I think Wisky has proven that they can go toe to toe with any team in the East, even OhioSt. Not sure why people think they wouldn’t. They are the team that we have to beat, because they rarely lose to the lesser teams in either division and beat many of the best of both
I think you are right. However, when we get to the point where we beat them regularly. I expect both Wiscy and Iowa will fall off the table quickly. Both right now utilize being the top of the food chain to help with their recruiting. (even as unimpressive as it is it could be worse.)

Iowa even with their rent success does not have great fan support. You can get a couple guys to come play for a good team with no fan support. A little tougher to get guys to play for a bad team with no fan support. Kids will start watching them like a Hawk and if they do not improve they will fly off to greener pastures.

Wiscy has the added pressure of their outlandishly high standards for school acceptance. They basically require Stanford type grades without the prestige of a Stanford diploma. Again you may get those guys if you are winning regularly. If N starts to own the west that will get tougher. Players will start jumping around the rest of the campus maps.

Okay.

I’ll admit, I’d rather see us squash them (Iowa) into eternal hopelessness, too, all things being equal. What I’m arguing against is the sense of entitlement that some Nebraska fans (not necessarily you) seem to have, as if it’s our destiny to dominate Iowa and Wisconsin. It may happen, but only if we earn it. To me, the idea that we would say we “should” dominate them smacks a bit of entitlement. You can say so if you want. I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve seen it on the field.

That word entitlement gets thrown around an awful lot.

Of the three, who gets the highest rated recruits? Of the three who has the best facilities? Of the three who has the strongest fan support? Of the three who spends the most on football? Of the three who has the strongest tradition? Of the three who is the strongest brand nationally?

It’s not entitlement, it’s just fact. Nebraska should be the better team of the three. With the right coaching and leadership, they will be.

Wiscy has the added pressure of their outlandishly high standards for school acceptance. They basically require Stanford type grades without the prestige of a Stanford diploma.

Kind of, but with additional analysis, not really.

Wisky's average high school GPA for its admittees is 3.84 (A-)

http://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/wisconsin/university-of-wisconsin-madison/admission/

Stanford's average high school GPA for its admittees is 4.18 (A+)

http://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/california/stanford-university/admission/

While, mathematically, 4.18 and 3.84 may not seem far apart, the reality of the difficulty of averaging an A+ from averaging an A-, and the difference in the number of students who do so, is a very large gap in difficulty.

Percentage of applicants accepted:

Stanford: 5% [ranked third most difficult in the country (tied with Harvard), behind two tiny music institutions that only admit 4% of applicants]

Wisconsin: 53.8% of applicants accepted (rankings don't go that low)

Don't get me wrong. Wisconsin is a fantastic institution of higher education (ranked #31 in U.S. News and World Report's rankings of world universities; Stanford is #2 in the world behind Harvard). However, as stated above, getting an A+ average in high school vs an A- average is quite a wide gap, especially in terms of numbers of college applicants that are in each category. Also, greater than 1 in 2 applicants getting accepted into Wisconsin means it's admission requirements are a far measure down the ladder from Stanford's 1 in 20.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/lowest-acceptance-rate

https://www.wisc.edu/about/facts/

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/search?name=wisconsin

Last edited:

Kind of, but with additional analysis, not really.

Wisky's average high school GPA for its admittees is 3.84 (A-)

http://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/wisconsin/university-of-wisconsin-madison/admission/

Stanford's average high school GPA for its admittees is 4.18 (A+)

http://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/california/stanford-university/admission/

While, mathematically, 4.18 and 3.84 may not seem far apart, the reality of the difficulty of averaging an A+ from averaging an A-, and the difference in the number of students who do so, is a very large gap in difficulty.

Percentage of applicants accepted:

Stanford: 5% [ranked third most difficult in the country (tied with Harvard), behind two tiny music institutions that only admit 4% of applicants]

Wisconsin: 53.8% of applicants accepted (rankings don't go that low)

Don't get me wrong. Wisconsin is a fantastic institution of higher education (ranked #31 in U.S. News and World Report's rankings of world universities; Stanford is #2 in the world behind Harvard). However, as stated above, getting an A+ average in high school vs an A- average is quite a wide gap, especially in terms of numbers of college applicants that are in each category. Also, greater than 1 in 2 applicants getting accepted into Wisconsin means it's admission requirements are a far measure down the ladder from Stanford's 1 in 20.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/lowest-acceptance-rate

https://www.wisc.edu/about/facts/

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/search?name=wisconsin

Neither are Nebraska, and I don't care about either one. ;)

But would let my kids go to either one if that was their choice.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back