• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

KENT PAVELKA

Stiehmroller 1915

Recruit
2 Year Member
I have to give Mr. Kent Pavelka a tip of the hat! His coverage and enthusiasm of Cornhusker basketball is indelible. For over 30 odd years in both the highs and lows(mostly lows) of Cornhusker hoops; Kent Pavelka has been a constant professional. Any broadcaster that could make an Iba era 48-47 basketball game sound like a Final Four game is above and beyond the call! Mr. Pavelka belongs with Cornhusker broadcast icons such as Bob Zenner and Lyle Bremser. Thank you Mr. Pavelka; you are the voice of Nebraska Basketball!:thumbsup:

Kent Pavelka makes me want to puke everytime I hear his idiotic voice. The weird "Tommy Frazaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" thing all the way to the "get ready to TWERK!" Pure crap.

But that's just me. ;)

Kent Pavelka makes me want to puke everytime I hear his idiotic voice. The weird "Tommy Frazaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" thing all the way to the "get ready to TWERK!" Pure crap.

But that's just me. ;)

:Biggrin: I knew what you were going to say even before I read your post.

Anyhow, I like Kent. Always did. He's pure homer -- and that's alright by me. :)

I'd much rather listen to Kent Pavelka and Matt Davison on the radio than the BTN or ESPN commentators. Sure, they're partisan, but I prefer that; you get a flavor for what's happening in the game and comments you won't get over the TV.

And it seems like the TV announcers are not talking distinctly, as if they their mouths were full of mush. Either that, or the networks don't filter the fan noise (doesn't matter which network) so as to enhance the feeling of 'being there;' but the background noise often over-rides the commentary. It can be done because this does not happen with the radio play-by-play.

I was not a huge fan of Kent's when he broadcast football games, but he is an excellent basketball announcer. He has done a great job of broadcasting NU games, even when they weren't very good. I have been a fan of his basketball broadcasts for a long time.

:Biggrin: I knew what you were going to say even before I read your post.

Anyhow, I like Kent. Always did. He's pure homer -- and that's alright by me. :)

I'm so predictable! :)

It's not that he is a homer....I absolutely expect the radio crew to be homers. It's that kent is a world class dweeb. The clip they keep playing on 1620 of him saying "LET'S GET READY TO TWERK!" etches that dweeb status in stone. Twerk?

I'm so predictable! :)

It's not that he is a homer....I absolutely expect the radio crew to be homers. It's that kent is a world class dweeb. The clip they keep playing on 1620 of him saying "LET'S GET READY TO TWERK!" etches that dweeb status in stone. Twerk?

Hahah! I certainly have not heard this twerk phrase. That is more than a bit silly. And I'd have to guess he saved that up and prepared himself to use that at some point. Too silly.

I have to give Mr. Kent Pavelka a tip of the hat! His coverage and enthusiasm of Cornhusker basketball is indelible. For over 30 odd years in both the highs and lows(mostly lows) of Cornhusker hoops; Kent Pavelka has been a constant professional. Any broadcaster that could make an Iba era 48-47 basketball game sound like a Final Four game is above and beyond the call! Mr. Pavelka belongs with Cornhusker broadcast icons such as Bob Zenner and Lyle Bremser. Thank you Mr. Pavelka; you are the voice of Nebraska Basketball!:thumbsup:

It is plain to everyone, Kent loves his Huskers!!! :gobigred:

But that's just me. ;)

He was letting the world know, he was screwed by the voters. As far as other times, never bothered me. I love his exuberance. :thumbsup:

I like Pavelka! Great Husker fan! One of my favorite Pavelka broadcasts was the MNC football game against Florida. Gun 'n DONE! I agree completely with the opening post in this thread.

I'd certainly take Kent over any Husker football broadcaster since.

Yep, agree wholeheartedly. Sharpe is probably the best of what's been here since Kent, but there just isn't the genuine excitement with him IMO. Kent may be over the top at times, but I think he has a great radio voice and I love the excitement in his calls. Wish he would get football again. On the other hand, almost never catch anything on the radio anymore with every game being on tv.

Yep, agree wholeheartedly. Sharpe is probably the best of what's been here since Kent, but there just isn't the genuine excitement with him IMO. Kent may be over the top at times, but I think he has a great radio voice and I love the excitement in his calls. Wish he would get football again. On the other hand, almost never catch anything on the radio anymore with every game being on tv.

Indeed. There are certain radio voices that simply work. Kent has a great voice for sports broadcasting -- whether you dig his schtick or not. I think of voices I don't care for (they simply don't do it for me)... Mike Tirico. He's a fine man and very well-spoken -- but his voice simply isn't dynamic enough to be calling football games.

Yep. Voice is where it's at. Al Michaels is a gem for that reason. Lyle Bremser had that great voice. Don't know if you've ever caught a Broncos game on the radio but Dave Logan is just god awful. His voice isn't that interesting and he's just terrible at describing the action. It's definitely an art.

Yep. Voice is where it's at. Al Michaels is a gem for that reason. Lyle Bremser had that great voice. Don't know if you've ever caught a Broncos game on the radio but Dave Logan is just god awful. His voice isn't that interesting and he's just terrible at describing the action. It's definitely an art.

I'm not familiar with Dave Logan. Maybe you can find a YouTube clip.

Pat Summerall was another great voice.

I absolutely love the voice of the Eagles, Merrill Reese. He's been the Eagles play-by-play guy since '77. And he does not lack for excitement.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1fZLcMpuv-4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back