• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Kansas kicker Weinrich

huskerman1

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Won the kicking contest at NU's FNL and the Kohls camp. Loves Lincoln, can kick the ball into the end zone and is an accurate FG kicker, yet no offer from NU.

Thought he was given a preferred walk on?
This is kinda frustrating as a fan. We need a dependable kicker but only offer the kid a preferred walk on. It's not just this staff, it's been the standard for almost as long as I can remember. For context, I clearly remember Ruud's hit on Phelps.

I think Bo recruited a couple scholly kickers, a kid from Fla if memory serves me right. T.O. did the same with Brown too, didn't he?

Point being, why not offer a scholarship to a kicker when a team clearly needs one? Especially when you haven't been able to develop a walk on.

Just for some context. I think most can agree that Alex Henery was one of Nebraska's best kickers. Well,

Early years. Henery was born in Omaha, Nebraska. He attended Omaha Burke High School and was one of the top walk-ons in Nebraska's 2006 class. ... Henery averaged 41.4 yards per punt as a senior, and also connected on 6-of-10 field goals and 37-of-38 extra-point tries.

We have seen some good kicker/punters here in the past, I don't know how many were walk ons or not. We have seen some really bad kicker/punters here in the past and some were scholarship guys. I have no problem with a prefered walk on. Come here, you earn the job you get a scholarship. If you don't, then you can continue as a walk on and stay as long as you like, if you earn the starting job you get a scholarship. May not be ideal, but just because you go to Kohl's kicking camp and they give you 5 stars doesn't mean you can do it during a game.

Just for some context. I think most can agree that Alex Henery was one of Nebraska's best kickers. Well,

Early years. Henery was born in Omaha, Nebraska. He attended Omaha Burke High School and was one of the top walk-ons in Nebraska's 2006 class. ... Henery averaged 41.4 yards per punt as a senior, and also connected on 6-of-10 field goals and 37-of-38 extra-point tries.

We have seen some good kicker/punters here in the past, I don't know how many were walk ons or not. We have seen some really bad kicker/punters here in the past and some were scholarship guys. I have no problem with a prefered walk on. Come here, you earn the job you get a scholarship. If you don't, then you can continue as a walk on and stay as long as you like, if you earn the starting job you get a scholarship. May not be ideal, but just because you go to Kohl's kicking camp and they give you 5 stars doesn't mean you can do it during a game.
Unless they are already here and you don’t think they would leave. Then you don’t have to give them a scholarship even if they earn one until they are a senior apparently.

I think Bo recruited a couple scholly kickers, a kid from Fla if memory serves me right. T.O. did the same with Brown too, didn't he?

Point being, why not offer a scholarship to a kicker when a team clearly needs one? Especially when you haven't been able to develop a walk on.
Mauro Bondi?

Adi Kunalic was another scholarship kicking recruit, but that may have been Callahan era for the recruitment. Kunalic did kickoffs but could never beat out Alex Henery (originally a walkon) for place kicks.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back