• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Justin Fuente out at Va Tech. Former OC and QB coach

As weak as I think the Big ten west is the ACC and Big 12 are worse
Big Ten West is better than it gets credit for. Wisconsin/Iowa are almost always competitive/Top 25 teams. Then you'll have a team like Northwestern, Minnesota, Purdue that'll step up. It's nowhere near the SEC West or even the Big Ten East, but it is harder than where we came from. Big 12 North was so incredibly weak when we were in it toward the tail end. At least all the teams in the Big Ten West put off the perception that they are trying to make football successful.

ACC isn't great, but I also think they don't get quite the credit they deserve. They lack depth, but I think the teams that finish toward the top each year are still solid.

Big Ten West is better than it gets credit for. Wisconsin/Iowa are almost always competitive/Top 25 teams. Then you'll have a team like Northwestern, Minnesota, Purdue that'll step up. It's nowhere near the SEC West or even the Big Ten East, but it is harder than where we came from. Big 12 North was so incredibly weak when we were in it toward the tail end. At least all the teams in the Big Ten West put off the perception that they are trying to make football successful.

ACC isn't great, but I also think they don't get quite the credit they deserve. They lack depth, but I think the teams that finish toward the top each year are still solid.

The ACC is actually the opposite this year of what they've been. The last 10 years or so, it's been either FSU or Clemson at the top, and everyone else is average or mediocre. This year, they don't have a single great team, but have 7-8 good or really solid teams. I'm interested to see how they do in their bowl games.

The ACC is actually the opposite this year of what they've been. The last 10 years or so, it's been either FSU or Clemson at the top, and everyone else is average or mediocre. This year, they don't have a single great team, but have 7-8 good or really solid teams. I'm interested to see how they do in their bowl games.
Both fair and accurate posts. I’m a little down on the west right now. I’m just struggling with liking this conference. I’ve never been a Big ten fan.

I remember the arguments :Biggrin: I didn't say it was a bad hire necessarily either. I just didn't like the second coming kind of treatment he was getting. To me, it was a gamble that we made in large part due to his Cornhusker connection. I think he wanted to coach here and would have stayed a couple more years at UCF (if we hadn't botched the Riley/Eichorst situation which is another unpopular opinion of mine lol)
The gamble was what would expectations be, and would we need to have some patience. I honestly thought he was going to hit the ground running and immediately show an improved team. However, when he didn't, I wasn't completely panicked because I also thought there was a likelihood he would need time to grow as a coach. We knew he didn't have a ton of experience, and he wasn't of the mindset to bring in a staff that could help him grow a little faster. Folks who didn't think we should be on the job training are likely the loudest in wanting him gone. Those of us who think it's a better long term answer to show some patience while he continues to develop are likely happy Trev has made the choices he has.

Sorry, there was none of that on this forum. I don’t remember one person saying otherwise, and if they thought otherwise, they certainly didn’t say it on this board. It was a nearly unanimous hire. I did however, mention that Las Vegas betting was, this was unanimous and that oftentimes, the public is usually wrong. I mentioned that at the time.
I looked back and it looks like I kept it to myself until midway through 2019 on the board. The conversation I was thinking of happened then. I apologize for the mixup :thumbsup:

The gamble was what would expectations be, and would we need to have some patience. I honestly thought he was going to hit the ground running and immediately show an improved team. However, when he didn't, I wasn't completely panicked because I also thought there was a likelihood he would need time to grow as a coach. We knew he didn't have a ton of experience, and he wasn't of the mindset to bring in a staff that could help him grow a little faster. Folks who didn't think we should be on the job training are likely the loudest in wanting him gone. Those of us who think it's a better long term answer to show some patience while he continues to develop are likely happy Trev has made the choices he has.
I agree that it was a gamble. I also wasn't against the gamble. My issue with his hiring was that he was getting a lot of 'native son' treatment.

I'm actually more behind him this year than after year 1. The team doesn't appear to quit easily and I think we could explode into the scene next year. Of course, I thought the same after the Michigan game, so what do I know?

There were probably people who wanted someone else, but the consensus was Frost or Bust. If he had gone to Florida or Tennessee or stayed at UCF, Fuente would have definitely been brought up. He was a hot commodity coming out of Memphis and started well at VA Tech. Not sure he would have left VA Tech, though. Mike Norvell (Memphis) also had quite a bit of buzz during that time. Also not a guy who ended up working out when he moved to a bigger school (FSU).

IMO, Fuente would have definitely left VT for Nebraska if he'd been offered a raise to come to Lincoln. He interviewed for the Baylor job in 2019 and almost took it because Baylor invests more in its football program than VT.

One thing most people don't know about VT is that they have financial problems. Frank Beamer's accomplishments are even more impressive when you consider the "mom and pop" budget VT has always operated on.

Back in April, the Richmond Times Dispatch published an article based on financial reports from each of the 8 public universities in the ACC. Virginia Tech was dead last in how much they paid Fuente's assistants ($4.3 million) and football support staff ($2.3 million). For 2019-2020, Virginia Tech reported $99.2 million in revenue and $97.5 million in expenses. Financially, they only did better than Georgia Tech and NC State. The Times Dispatch then used data from DOE that shows private school Miami, and the public-private hybrid Pittsburgh spent more than VT too. Nebraska's facilities would have blown Fuente away because even if they're "middle of the pack" in the Big Ten, they're light years ahead of what VT has.

Last edited:

Both fair and accurate posts. I’m a little down on the west right now. I’m just struggling with liking this conference. I’ve never been a Big ten fan.
I agree. It is boring, deliberate run oriented driving, and clock management from most. Purdue is probably an outlier. IL will follow suit with Beilema. It's why only Ohio State does consistently well in the post season bowls and the rest get beat. Once the teams face a team of skilled position players they get beat as as soon as they get behind they can't move the ball. While Frost's offense isn't really working as expected, at least the big plays create some excitement. We don't look like clones. (Maybe clowns at times though :) )

I looked back and it looks like I kept it to myself until midway through 2019 on the board. The conversation I was thinking of happened then. I apologize for the mixup :thumbsup:
No worries. I’m sure there were a few, but I don’t remember anyone saying anything.

To be totally honest I've never been more disappointed in a Nebraska HC then Frost. My expectations were he'd have the program playing for at least division championships by year 3 or 4. WOW!! How wrong could I have been about his hire. Now it's simply a wait and see what happens next season. I expect very little improvement next season over this season. Well you don't always get what you want as the Stones said many years ago.

To be totally honest I've never been more disappointed in a Nebraska HC then Frost. My expectations were he'd have the program playing for at least division championships by year 3 or 4. WOW!! How wrong could I have been about his hire. Now it's simply a wait and see what happens next season. I expect very little improvement next season over this season. Well you don't always get what you want as the Stones said many years ago.
Lol, I expected more than that. I figured NU would be competing for the West by year 2, and the conference by year 4. Boy, I was dead wrong. NU is the worst team in the BIG. I wouldn’t bet NU to beat Rutgers right now.

IMO, Fuente would have definitely left VT for Nebraska if he'd been offered a raise to come to Lincoln. He interviewed for the Baylor job in 2019 and almost took it because Baylor invests more in its football program than VT.

One thing most people don't know about VT is that they have financial problems. Frank Beamer's accomplishments are even more impressive when you consider the "mom and pop" budget VT has always operated on.

Back in April, the Richmond Times Dispatch published an article based on financial reports from each of the 8 public universities in the ACC. Virginia Tech was dead last in how much they paid Fuente's assistants ($4.3 million) and football support staff ($2.3 million). For 2019-2020, Virginia Tech reported $99.2 million in revenue and $97.5 million in expenses. Financially, they only did better than Georgia Tech and NC State. The Times Dispatch then used data from DOE that shows private school Miami, and the public-private hybrid Pittsburgh spent more than VT too. Nebraska's facilities would have blown Fuente away because even if they're "middle of the pack" in the Big Ten, they're light years ahead of what VT has.

My recollection is football scoop stated he was willing to take the gig as he wanted to get closer to family in OK. I haven’t seen a lot of VT football but think we could do worse. Also, probably would not have to break the bank and we could spend more on a good OL coach.

Well this is really an eye opener. Who would have thought you have been disappointed?!?! A show of hands…anyone…anyone? Color me shocked! How could you have kept those feelings inside like you have been? You shouldn’t bottle things up like that, you’ll give yourself an ulcer.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back