• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Justin Fuente out at Va Tech. Former OC and QB coach

I don’t remember one person saying anything other than Scott Frost in 2017.
There were probably people who wanted someone else, but the consensus was Frost or Bust. If he had gone to Florida or Tennessee or stayed at UCF, Fuente would have definitely been brought up. He was a hot commodity coming out of Memphis and started well at VA Tech. Not sure he would have left VA Tech, though. Mike Norvell (Memphis) also had quite a bit of buzz during that time. Also not a guy who ended up working out when he moved to a bigger school (FSU).

There were probably people who wanted someone else, but the consensus was Frost or Bust. If he had gone to Florida or Tennessee or stayed at UCF, Fuente would have definitely been brought up. He was a hot commodity coming out of Memphis and started well at VA Tech. Not sure he would have left VA Tech, though. Mike Norvell (Memphis) also had quite a bit of buzz during that time. Also not a guy who ended up working out when he moved to a bigger school (FSU).

I think Norvell is going to work out there if he gets time (which at that place is a big IF).

I didn't think Frost had enough experience yet and felt the UCF undefeated season was a mirage. The 0-12 season looked to be caused by administrative errors (the head coach was also the AD) and only added to the illusion. I got a bunch of flak for the belief on this board at the time. I honestly think both parties would have been better served if he stayed at UCF a while longer (or even moved up to a middle of the road program like Vanderbilt).

I think Norvell is going to work out there if he gets time (which at that place is a big IF).
Outside of the Notre Dame game, I haven't watched any FSU this year. ACC is definitely a winnable conference with Clemson taking a dip and a lot of other normal powers not playing well. Very confusing how Florida, FSU, and Miami can all be this bad at the same time. Major indictment of those programs, given the amount of talent in their backyard.

I didn't think Frost had enough experience yet and felt the UCF undefeated season was a mirage. The 0-12 season looked to be caused by administrative errors (the head coach was also the AD) and only added to the illusion. I got a bunch of flak for the belief on this board at the time. I honestly think both parties would have been better served if he stayed at UCF a while longer (or even moved up to a middle of the road program like Vanderbilt).
He probably did need an extra couple of years, but I don't think that is a luxury that was really on the table. Frost said that he would have stayed at UCF if Nebraska wasn't his home, but I don't necessarily buy that. Florida and Tennessee were big time jobs that were hungry for a good coach, and he was the hot commodity that year. As a coach you have to leave a program when your stock is high, and you could argue his stock was about as high as it was going to get at a place like UCF.

Outside of the Notre Dame game, I haven't watched any FSU this year. ACC is definitely a winnable conference with Clemson taking a dip and a lot of other normal powers not playing well. Very confusing how Florida, FSU, and Miami can all be this bad at the same time. Major indictment of those programs, given the amount of talent in their backyard.

Absolutely agree. When Nebraska fans start talking about the dumpster fire that Frost walked into, and it was to some extent, they need to pause and read what the FSU program had become during the last year or 2 under Jimbo, and continued under Taggart. It's complete dysfunction between boosters, the athletic department, and chancellor. Norvell walked into that and then Covid hit. FSU is still incredibly undisciplined, but that win against Miami could be a turning point for them.

Sorry, there was none of that on this forum. I don’t remember one person saying otherwise, and if they thought otherwise, they certainly didn’t say it on this board. It was a nearly unanimous hire. I did however, mention that Las Vegas betting was, this was unanimous and that oftentimes, the public is usually wrong. I mentioned that at the time.

He probably did need an extra couple of years, but I don't think that is a luxury that was really on the table. Frost said that he would have stayed at UCF if Nebraska wasn't his home, but I don't necessarily buy that. Florida and Tennessee were big time jobs that were hungry for a good coach, and he was the hot commodity that year. As a coach you have to leave a program when your stock is high, and you could argue his stock was about as high as it was going to get at a place like UCF.
I remember the arguments :Biggrin: I didn't say it was a bad hire necessarily either. I just didn't like the second coming kind of treatment he was getting. To me, it was a gamble that we made in large part due to his Cornhusker connection. I think he wanted to coach here and would have stayed a couple more years at UCF (if we hadn't botched the Riley/Eichorst situation which is another unpopular opinion of mine lol)

As weak as I think the Big ten west is the ACC and Big 12 are worse

Sorry, there was none of that on this forum. I don’t remember one person saying otherwise, and if they thought otherwise, they certainly didn’t say it on this board. It was a nearly unanimous hire. I did however, mention that Las Vegas betting was, this was unanimous and that oftentimes, the public is usually wrong. I mentioned that at the time.
I was good with Frost, but I wanted Campbell

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back