• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Just re-watched NU vs. OU 2001...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerMaestro

I play for Nebraska.
10 Year Member
Oh. My. Goodness. What a game that was. I remember that I was in college at the time and nearly took someone's eye out pumping my arms like a blithering idiot when Crouch caught the pass from Stuntz.

Reflections: (1) Man, these guys could tackle. Both teams were absolutely in charge when they brought down ball carriers. Don't see tackling like that anymore, probably (IMO) because of (2) the stricter personal-foul hit rules. I saw probably half a dozen hits that would be 15-yarders now (plus a horse-collar on Groce returning a punt). Also, (3) Nate Hybl had to be playing with a concussion, from what the announcers were saying...that was a different time as far as concussion symptoms were concerned. No doubt OU would have had to play their third-stringer in today's game. (4) That stadium had to be fiendishly loud. The camera was shaking on Crouch's TD, and when OU had the ball it must have been absolutely deafening. (5) Anyone else amazed that Stoops is still coaching at OU twelve years later? That's quite a tenure these days, even for a great coach. (6) Hardly any penalties on either team. Incredibly disciplined, hard-hitting, manly football. (7) My goodness, our linebackers were fast back then. We also used the blitzes quite effectively, and :wow: actually had a fearsome pass rush. (8) O-line blocking. 'Nuff said. :bow: It's like they knew what the defense had called and ran to where the OU players were going to be. Incredible coaching and execution. (9) Finally, believe it or not, Brent Musberger in his prime was one heck of an announcer. Thrilling stuff. (10) Did I mention the tackling? WHY CAN WE NOT TACKLE LIKE THAT??!?!

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXbckBGceXg

And I know I shouldn't say this, but can you believe that this is the SAME TEAM that got Buffaloed 62-36?

Last edited:

Great thread, Maestro. Living hundreds of miles from Lincoln, this was my very first gameday experience in Memorial. If I wasn't hooked on the Big Red up until then, I was a diehard fan after this. I still remember the way the old girl shook when Crouch caught that pass... they say it's one of the two loudest plays in Mem. Stadium history- the other being the kick & pick vs CU in 2008.

That's kind of what the game boiled down to, didn't it?

How creepy is it that both teams had exactly the same play...and used it against each other?

I take it as a sign of how evenly matched the teams (or more precisely, the defenses) were. OU's spread was the polar opposite of our power option, and neither offense really could make any headway.

That's kind of what the game boiled down to, didn't it?

I don't think that's the case. Even if they complete the trick pass AND go on to score, that's 7 more points. We won by 10. Our defense was stifling, and the coaches adjusted like mad men to OU's def. schemes. There are factors way beyond "our trick play worked and theirs didn't."

OU's QB was dinged up, and really ineffective that day.

IMO, NU was a paper tiger that year. This win over an overrated OU team, notwithstanding.

Oh. My. Goodness. What a game that was. I remember that I was in college at the time and nearly took someone's eye out pumping my arms like a blithering idiot when Crouch caught the pass from Stuntz.

Reflections: (1) Man, these guys could tackle. Both teams were absolutely in charge when they brought down ball carriers. Don't see tackling like that anymore, probably (IMO) because of (2) the stricter personal-foul hit rules. I saw probably half a dozen hits that would be 15-yarders now (plus a horse-collar on Groce returning a punt). Also, (3) Nate Hybl had to be playing with a concussion, from what the announcers were saying...that was a different time as far as concussion symptoms were concerned. No doubt OU would have had to play their third-stringer in today's game. (4) That stadium had to be fiendishly loud. The camera was shaking on Crouch's TD, and when OU had the ball it must have been absolutely deafening. (5) Anyone else amazed that Stoops is still coaching at OU twelve years later? That's quite a tenure these days, even for a great coach. (6) Hardly any penalties on either team. Incredibly disciplined, hard-hitting, manly football. (7) My goodness, our linebackers were fast back then. We also used the blitzes quite effectively, and :wow: actually had a fearsome pass rush. (8) O-line blocking. 'Nuff said. :bow: It's like they knew what the defense had called and ran to where the OU players were going to be. Incredible coaching and execution. (9) Finally, believe it or not, Brent Musberger in his prime was one heck of an announcer. Thrilling stuff. (10) Did I mention the tackling? WHY CAN WE NOT TACKLE LIKE THAT??!?!

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXbckBGceXg

And I know I shouldn't say this, but can you believe that this is the SAME TEAM that got Buffaloed 62-36?
If anything the new personal foul rules should help improve tackling. there was a reason that form tackling was taught from the beginning of time. It is a tried and true tested way to bring somebody down. If we would get back to tackling ball carries the correct way, it would be a win win for everybody from a performance and safety standpoint. I would be curious to hear sooner24's take on Stoops and current state of the OU program. I am not saying that they should fire stoops and in reality they really can't it would similar but worse that the backlash we received nationally for firing frank. Having said that, its been a while since OU has fielded a great team and where has the defense gone? They went from having one of the premier defenses in the game his first 4 years to really just being very mediocre. I understand Mike left and things started to slide. Like Bo, the defense is bob's side of the ball and he cant seem to field a decent defense of late. I wonder how many OU fans still spend the late summers anticipating national title runs?

Last edited:
IMO, NU was a paper tiger that year. This win over an overrated OU team, notwithstanding.

Itcertainly turned out to be true. The Buffaloes exploited the defenses weakness just weeks later.

However, it was really fun to watch the Huskers beat an evenly matched sooner team. Any victory over OU is good!

Itcertainly turned out to be true. The Buffaloes exploited the defenses weakness just weeks later.

However, it was really fun to watch the Huskers beat an evenly matched sooner team. Any victory over OU is good!

Absolutely. Even though both teams weren't as good as their rankings indicated, that was a great game and any victory over the Sooners is a good one.

OU's QB was dinged up, and really ineffective that day.

Unfortunately, NU got exposed for what it was. A good but not great team that season. It was a great game to watch though and a sweet win over OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back