• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jurgens improving?

I think Farmer and Foster were huge pieces missing last year. Replacements Jurgens and Hixson are a big drop off. Then put in the fact that I don't think Farniok has gotten better from 2018 to 2019 and we have issues.

It’s just plug and play, right? Anyone can do it if the coach know his stuff, right? Blows my mind so many thought the o line might actually improve from last year.

I am surprised Hixson didn’t grade lower than anyone Saturday. Granted, I didn’t watch him every single play, but his yips were pretty glaring.

Last edited:
He has to. That's his narrative.
"SF sucks. His staff sucks. Everyone is regressing. Nobody is showing any improvement AT ALL! 5 million dollars per year, or something."

There's plenty of things to be grumpy about right now. I get that.

Maybe it's just me, but if somebody's doing things right, or showing improvement, it's worth pointing out.

If I ever get the time, I'll write an ode to Eric Lee for being a heck of a team player.

And another one wondering why Isaiah Stalbird is always the first guy to the runner on kickoff coverage.

Last edited:
It’s just plug and play, right? Anyone can do it if the coach know husband stuff, right? Blows my mind so many thought the o line might actually improve from last year.

I am surprised Hixson didn’t grade lower than anyone Saturday. Granted, I didn’t watch him every single play, but his yips were pretty glaring.
For the record, those grades are pretty heavily scrutinized over on that board (many times for good reason). Hixson and Farniok actually graded out the best, then Jaimes, followed by Jurgens and Wilson. On those grades, Jaimes has actually been the most consistent.

I try to use the eyeball test but it gets subjective for people. My eyeballs tell me Hixson ain't ready, Jurgens ain't ready, Farniok is a 3 year starter and not a tackle, Wilson isn't getting it done but is it because he has a new center and a tackle missing blocks? Jaimes is the only guy I feel comfortable with right now.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while.

Much easier just to watch the game and see how bad he plays overall. But bask that you found one of those 20% of the time plays. Also a rare bonus, a defensive tackle rarely allows a jay-block without resistance. Great find.
Just give it up already. Why do much hate for everyone?

For the record, those grades are pretty heavily scrutinized over on that board (many times for good reason). Hixson and Farniok actually graded out the best, then Jaimes, followed by Jurgens and Wilson. On those grades, Jaimes has actually been the most consistent.

I try to use the eyeball test but it gets subjective for people. My eyeballs tell me Hixson ain't ready, Jurgens ain't ready, Farniok is a 3 year starter and not a tackle, Wilson isn't getting it done but is it because he has a new center and a tackle missing blocks? Jaimes is the only guy I feel comfortable with right now.

I’m with you on the eyeball test and have to temper my comments with the fact that they only stand out when they do something really well or really poorly. Hixson’s lows have caught my eye. Farniok has been perplexing, but agree he doesn’t move well enough laterally to play tackle. That said, his footwork doesn’t lend well to pull plays at the guard position. Man we need more improvement.

I'm using the 3rd party that Rivals uses, Pro Football Focus. I think consistency is a huge deal and reason why we are struggling. Frost can't trust guys to get the simplest of blocks so we out-think the room a bit.

there are times I'm skeptical of their numbers, but they are nice for a starting point.

Agree that we just have consistency issues, and I think teams don't respect our ability to spread the field passing so they've been able to take chances in the box making it even harder for our OL

there are times I'm skeptical of their numbers, but they are nice for a starting point.

Agree that we just have consistency issues, and I think teams don't respect our ability to spread the field passing so they've been able to take chances in the box making it even harder for our OL
That's what I use them for. "Ok, is Jurgens really improving, or am I just happy that snaps are good now like we were in midget football in 5th grade?" It's nice to see what other people who don't care about Nebraska think.

I honestly think that people know we can spread the field east-west, but we have zero deep threats. Spielman and Robinson are quick, not fast. Stoll and Allen aren't fast. Noa and Warner aren't fast. Go watch where the safeties play the first play or two when McCaffrey got in the game, they were about 7 or 8 yards off the ball daring him to throw.

That's what I use them for. "Ok, is Jurgens really improving, or am I just happy that snaps are good now like we were in midget football in 5th grade?" It's nice to see what other people who don't care about Nebraska think.

I honestly think that people know we can spread the field east-west, but we have zero deep threats. Spielman and Robinson are quick, not fast. Stoll and Allen aren't fast. Noa and Warner aren't fast. Go watch where the safeties play the first play or two when McCaffrey got in the game, they were about 7 or 8 yards off the ball daring him to throw.

Good point on the inability to get deep. We can definitely use more speed to get a deeper threat, but if I'm a DC facing us, I'm going to dare us to make downfield throws every time with my safeties playing that shallow -- we just haven't shown an ability to make those throws even when people are wide open. Add in pressing a bit to keep small receivers from getting off the line and to cut off running room on the short passes and stunting and blitzing a young OL and you have a recipe for ugly offensive play.

Hope that Chase, Houston, and Nance (and now Nixon) can make some early impact next year and that our QB play can make teams pay.

FWIW, Jurgens definitely caused problems for us this year, but if he gains a bit of weight and strength and learns the position in side and out, having him for the next 3 years starting at center is a really big deal for us... just sucked we had such a big learning curve there (and elsewhere) this year

In general, one thing that Nebraska needs to start teaching is going to the whistle. It’s amazing to watch how many offensive lineman are standing still, not engaged with anyone, when the whistle blows. That’s BS. Find somebody to block and go until you’re supposed to st[QUOTE="ShortSideOption, post: 4134600, member: 48
I'm using the 3rd party that Rivals uses, Pro Football Focus. I think consistency is a huge deal and reason why we are struggling. Frost can't trust guys to get the simplest of blocks so we out-think the room a bit.
[/QUOTE]
I will be honest and say sometimes I don’t understand the grades. They give a short explanation but it sometimes doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:
Good point on the inability to get deep. We can definitely use more speed to get a deeper threat, but if I'm a DC facing us, I'm going to dare us to make downfield throws every time with my safeties playing that shallow -- we just haven't shown an ability to make those throws even when people are wide open. Add in pressing a bit to keep small receivers from getting off the line and to cut off running room on the short passes and stunting and blitzing a young OL and you have a recipe for ugly offensive play.

Hope that Chase, Houston, and Nance (and now Nixon) can make some early impact next year and that our QB play can make teams pay.

FWIW, Jurgens definitely caused problems for us this year, but if he gains a bit of weight and strength and learns the position in side and out, having him for the next 3 years starting at center is a really big deal for us... just sucked we had such a big learning curve there (and elsewhere) this year
I am in shock that the WRs Frost has brought in can't help at all or are completely gone. Mike Williams, Jaron Woodyard, Andre Hunt, Katerian LeGrone, Justin McGriff, Miles Jones, Dominick Watt, Jamie Nance, Darian Chase, Demariyon Houston, that's 10 dudes in 2018 and 2019 that have done nothing. 2 are going to graduate this year with doing nothing, 4 aren't even on the team anymore, 1 didn't even make it to campus, and then 3 are true freshman that get a pass right now. If not for Wandale Robinson we would be screwed. I just don't get the WR thing, freshmen play all the time.

In regard to Jurgens, I absolutely LOVE his upside. 2019 Jurgens is a bit rough to watch though. He will be a stud in 2020 and beyond though.

I am in shock that the WRs Frost has brought in can't help at all or are completely gone. Mike Williams, Jaron Woodyard, Andre Hunt, Katerian LeGrone, Justin McGriff, Miles Jones, Dominick Watt, Jamie Nance, Darian Chase, Demariyon Houston, that's 10 dudes in 2018 and 2019 that have done nothing. 2 are going to graduate this year with doing nothing, 4 aren't even on the team anymore, 1 didn't even make it to campus, and then 3 are true freshman that get a pass right now. If not for Wandale Robinson we would be screwed. I just don't get the WR thing, freshmen play all the time.

In regard to Jurgens, I absolutely LOVE his upside. 2019 Jurgens is a bit rough to watch though. He will be a stud in 2020 and beyond though.
Is it a coaching / development problem at WR? Unreal to have that many misses, and these are all 3* and 4* guys. Indiana, Minnesota, and Purdue don't generally "out-recruit" us at WR, but they are so much better than us right now at that position. WR play is arguably the difference in the last two games. (Yes, I know we have lots of other problems.)

It sounds like Hunt was set to be that guy this year before getting suspended. .

Is it a coaching / development problem at WR? Unreal to have that many misses, and these are all 3* and 4* guys. Indiana, Minnesota, and Purdue don't generally "out-recruit" us at WR, but they are so much better than us right now at that position. WR play is arguably the difference in the last two games. (Yes, I know we have lots of other problems.)
I can't put my finger on it. A guy like Jamie Nance was here in the spring to get acclimated. But we had a TON of misses. I think we haven't developed well, Look at our 4 leading WRs from the spring game: Miles Jones (gone), Jaylin Bradley (gonna be gone), Todd Honas (where is he), Wyatt Mazour (gonna graduate and hasn't done much).

If you figure it out let me know.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back