• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jozy Altidore Talks 2011-12 Season, U.S. Soccer and NY Red Bulls

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
Nice piece....

One thing analysts routinely brought up throughout the winter was how much Altidore has improved in attacking third when off the ball. Such improvement, according to Altidore, came mainly as a result of both film sessions and repetition. "We do a lot of video work here, analyzing everything, and that's always the best way to do it because you can see yourself," Altidore explained. "Also, just being in game experiences, because I now recognize when it's the right time to get into a good position, and you can kind of sense and get a sniff of where the ball might go. You can only get that from experience and from playing in games. Luckily for me I've gotten a little exposure to that (due to) playing at a high level this year. I'm not saying I'm perfect at it, but I've definitely improved at trying to be in the right spot for where the ball might pop out or where a cross may enter the box."

Not a ringing endorsement of Klinsy:

When asked about Klinsmann, Altidore first went out of his way to praise former U.S. Soccer coach Bob Bradley. Bradley was dismissed as USMNT coach last July. "I don't think Bob (received) the kind of sendoff he deserved," Altidore said. "He did a lot of good things for the national team. He definitely brought us along. It's important whenever you have these cycles that whoever is put in charge brings (the team) along, and that you always make strides forward. I think Bob did that. As for Jurgen, it was definitely something positive. He's a guy that's played all around Europe and part of the German team. As a coach, we are still trying to know exactly what he wants from us, but I think things are going great. I think Jurgen is doing what he can to get the best out of each player."

Much, much more here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jozy-altidore-talks-2011-12-season-u-soccer-153700082--mls.html

I think he specifically stated that he thinks klinsmen is something positive. i read it as he just isn't familiar enough with Klinsman to be much more positive than that.

I know you're no fan of Klinsmann RR, but I think you're trying to read into the quote what you want to. I'm not surprised at all that Altidore would praise Bradley. Why shouldn't he? Bradley did a lot of good things for US soccer. Altidore only played under Bradley at the national team level, and I'm sure Bradley had a big impact on Altidore's development.

I also wouldn't expect Altidore to say that Klinsmann is the best thing since sliced bread. Klinsmann's been on the job for 10 months. Yeah, 10 months. I'm sure he has a relationship with some of the more regular players at the national team level, but not the type of relationship that Bradley had over years of coaching them.

Fair enough...:eek::Biggrin:

I know you're no fan of Klinsmann RR, but I think you're trying to read into the quote what you want to. I'm not surprised at all that Altidore would praise Bradley. Why shouldn't he? Bradley did a lot of good things for US soccer. Altidore only played under Bradley at the national team level, and I'm sure Bradley had a big impact on Altidore's development.

I also wouldn't expect Altidore to say that Klinsmann is the best thing since sliced bread. Klinsmann's been on the job for 10 months. Yeah, 10 months. I'm sure he has a relationship with some of the more regular players at the national team level, but not the type of relationship that Bradley had over years of coaching them.

No I'm not...I want an American coach...:)

I.E. Kenier, Kries or Ziggy Scmidt....our best three coaches who have not coached the USMNT...Kries would be my choice but he is awfully young to take a national team gig....

Are you starting to soften up on Jurgen?:stickouttongue:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back