• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jerky

Ackos

Husker Fan
20 Year Member
Im hungry for some good jerky (and not the nasty tasting junk from a store), anybody have some good recipes? :bow:

I've always been a big fan of the High Mountain Jerky Seasonings from Cabela's. Adding equal amounts of Misty's Seasoning along with the seasoning from the kit.

Loop

Last edited:
Im hungry for some good jerky (and not the nasty tasting junk from a store), anybody have some good recipes? :bow:

I have a great recipe that I've used for 20+ years. I have to dig it up - I'll post back to this post when I find it. Good idea - you reminded me that I need to make another batch.

Edit: Looked all over heck for mine. Couldn't find it.

This one is almost identical:

Ingredients
2 pounds beef, cut into thin strips (note - you can use almost any meat - I've used turkey, elk, deer, wild duck, wild goose, wild hog, domestic pork) It ALL makes great jerky. My overwhelming favorites are deer and elk.
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons liquid smoke
1 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika

The meat is easiest to slice if it is about 1/2 frozen. Use sharp knife on cutting board and slice into about 1/8 inch slices. If using a smoker, I hang the meat on the smoker racks using toothpicks poked through the top portion of each strip.

Place beef strips in the bottom of a large bowl. Pour soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika over beef. Mix to assure all the meat is evenly coated. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight. Alternatively, use a gallon ziplock baggie and turn it over once in a while.

Arrange the meat strips on the tray of a dehydrator and dry at your dehydrator's highest setting until done to your liking, at least 4 hours. Store in an airtight container or resealable bags.

Or: smoke in smoker all day, low heat (this is the method I use), your choice of wood chips. Omit liquid smoke if you use this method.

Or: put oven on lowest setting with door adjar. Smoke (dry) all day until the right consistency. Note: this method makes your whole house smell like jerky.

Last edited:
I use the rub from JB's Fat Boy for both sliced jerky and ground meat Jerky

http://jbsfatboy.com/

The bast part is it is a NEBRASKA company from Grafton Nebraska

In no particular order my three favorite Rubs to use for jerky seasoning is Sweet Rub, Cajun Rub, and Chipotle Rub. The ONLY thing I might add is some liquid smoke for the ground meat jerky.

Stumbled upon these guys at the Ne State fair a bunch of years ago and now you will never find our fridge with less than three diff types of sauce and the spice rack with at least three rubs at any one time. Favorite sauce - Sticky stuff. have used the sauce too for jerky and that works well too but will sure increase your proces time.

By the way, if I make enough that I need to store it I keep it sealed and in the freezer.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back