• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jaxon Lee Has Committed To Nebraska

I've been hearing that for the past 15+ years. Like it or not, stars matter.
False logic. We have a different set of coaches, every single one. The prior staffs inability to develop players is irrelevant to whether this staff can.

And the problem hasn’t been going on for 15 years. More like five. Just ask Suh, who Pelini identified as a potential star and developed him into one.

Last edited:
False logic. We have a different set of coaches, every single one. The prior staffs inability to develop players is irrelevant to whether this staff can.

And the problem hasn’t been going on for 15 years. More like five. Just ask Suh, who Pelini identified as a potential star and developed him into one.
Suh wasn’t a reach though.. He was a 4 star and the 51st ranked recruit in the nation. Our 3rd highest ranked recruit in the 2005 class behind Bowman and Lucky.

Suh wasn’t a reach though.. He was a 4 star and the 51st ranked recruit in the nation. Our 3rd highest ranked recruit in the 2005 class behind Bowman and Lucky.
Before Pelini put him under his wing, he was not the Suh we know today.

SF teams were pretty packed with 4 star recruits that either left, failed to contribute, or didn’t play up to the expectations of what you want out of a four star. Ithink that was the point of the OP, lack of talent development. Pelini developed talent, SF didn’t. Riley? Who knows. Wasn’t here long enough.

Before Pelini put him under his wing, he was not the Suh we know today.

SF teams were pretty packed with 4 star recruits that either left, failed to contribute, or didn’t play up to the expectations of what you want out of a four star. Ithink that was the point of the OP, lack of talent development. Pelini developed talent, SF didn’t. Riley? Who knows. Wasn’t here long enough.
He called Jaxon Lee a reach and said stars matter. Suh had all the stars and offers.

At this point he would be a reach. We’re potentially flipping a walk-on from Texas Tech. I’ll give the coaches the benefit of the doubt though and hope they can develop him into something.

He called Jaxon Lee a reach and said stars matter. Suh had all the stars and offers.

At this point he would be a reach. We’re potentially flipping a walk-on from Texas Tech. I’ll give the coaches the benefit of the doubt though and hope they can develop him into something.
Stars sometimes matter.

I’m happy to let the coaches decide who they think can contribute. They have done enough so far to earn the benefit of the doubt from everyone, including the loud folks who wanted them fired after game one.

I believe the coaches may have identified something about him they like about him. With the new strategy in recruiting of taking full classes and knowing that you will always have some misses and transfers every year you take as many as allowed and the numbers will figure themselves out.

From what I’ve seen so far this year on defense especially and the amount of players coming out of seemingly nowhere to make significant contributions I am certainly not going to question them at this point.

I see a kid you add technique to, swim move whatever, he has what we're looking for. His change of direction is good, give him a tool/technique to use that he could be a good player.

I wouldn't call him raw, but if he can be coached, he will play.

Just ask Suh, who Pelini identified as a potential star and developed him into one.
This is inaccurate; Suh was a top national recruit. And yes, recruiting has been an issue for the past 15+ years for this program, in my opinion. There are exceptions, yes. But for the most part, stars matter. That said I'm willing to give Rhule the benefit of the doubt based on his past history.

Last edited:
What I find interesting is the recruiting sites ideals. They want their LBs to weigh so much, be a certain height and have a certain skeletal shape or reach.
There's many guys out there that have all the talent but are tweeners, or their bodies can be easily molded to fit those ideals. But neither fit that mold right now during evaluations.

Having an eye for potential leaves an easier path and larger number of recruits to choose from. Plug n play is great, but not much better if you can do what I'm talking about.
It takes more time, more work, but greater rewards to be had for everyone involved. It builds character, it builds things to build a team on.

This is inaccurate; Suh was a top national recruit. And yes, recruiting has been an issue for the past 15+ years for this program, in my opinion. There are exceptions, yes. But for the most part, stars matter. That said I'm willing to give Rhule the benefit of the doubt based on his past history.
If the question was whether Suh was a top national recruit, your comment would be relevant. But the fact is that he didn’t do a thing at the collegiate level until Pelini put him under his wing and raised his level of play. If all we care about is recruiting high star recruits, then by that standard, SF was a great coach. But It’s not how they were rated at the time of their recruitment that matters. It’s how they produced. And that’s what this conversation was about.

Frankly, I don’t know why it’s so important to you to suggest that Pelini didn’t develop players. But if it will help you feel better, I will just say “you’re right”, smile, and walk away shaking my head. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Where did I suggest that Pelini didn't develop players? I never debated that. My comment was that Jaxon Lee is a reach. He has no legit P5 offers. You made the comparison to Suh, which is a bogus comparison.

Where did I suggest that Pelini didn't develop players? I never debated that. My comment was that Jaxon Lee is a reach. He has no legit P5 offers. You made the comparison to Suh, which is a bogus comparison.
Look at Techs numbers at the position. Likely their best walkon with high upside, a few calls are made, some films watched and the offers made.

Kid obviously bet on himself for one, didn't take lesser offers, likely no coincidence him being at Tech and this happened.

Sounds and looks like a fit.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back